Good Sam Roadside Assistance?

donthompson

I've had a AAA membership for many, many years. I have rarely used AAA's roadside assistance, but when I have, I appreciated it. I received a packet from Good Sam for roadside assistance for my 2016 Elite II. Introductory price of $69.95. After that, it's $117/year. Two big benefits are unlimited distance towing to a repair facility and flat tire service--they come and change tire and help you locate a replacement.

Have you purchased this service? if so, please share your analysis. If you know about it and have decided not to purchase, share you thoughts as well.

• Thanks 1

Don

2020 Kimberley Kruiser T3

2019 Ram 2500 Diesel

States I visited with my Ollie (Sold October, 2019)

States Visited Map

• Moderators

Don,

We did the same analysis that you are going through a couple of months ago.  We too have rarely used the AAA service, but, three years ago I had a wheel failure in Hays, KS - right on Interstate 70 heading east.  I was only one mile from the center of Hays and called AAA.  Since they didn't have any "relationship" with any tow operator in Hays, they said that I would need to arrange towing personally and then submitt receipts for the (up to) $75 that they would pay for a tow.  Thank goodness a Highway Patrol officer stopped since he had the name and number of a towing business.  I don't consider Hays, KS as a small town and while it is in the middle of Kansas, it is right on the Interstate.  Needless to say, I was not happy.

Certainly the Good Sam Club assistance might not be any better, but, I hope that I will never have to find this out.  However, at least I know that the reimbursement will be for a higher amount.

Hope this helps you with your decision - good luck.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Don Thompson, My brother has used this for several years and enjoys discounts he gets with it. Here you can join for $27.00 found this on the Oliver site.http://www.goodsamclub.com/defaultc.aspx

• Thanks 1

J-Rhett

Oliver Legacy Elite II (Irog)

1995 Ford F-250 x4 Turbo Diesel

Trek Bikes, Hobie Cat Kayak

I have the AAA Premier RV coverage. I have mixed opinions on AAA - the only time I really needed a tow, due to sliding off the road in icy weather, there were so many accidents that I could not get an AAA sponsored company to rescue me. I waited two hours for a truck. They did reimburse for the full amount without any hassles.

I have never needed a jump start or gas. The one time I called for a flat repair (slashed a sidewall) I waited 45 minutes and finally fixed it myself. I never did see the truck. For Spokane at least, I think the service is very lacking.

I like the AAA 200 mile free tow benefit, but Good Sam's unlimited is better, on paper. But only if you are stranded out in the way far boonies like the wilds of Nevada. Usually the nearest facility is lots closer, so I am not sure an unlimited plan actually has any real benefit.

I use the AAA discount very often, at motels and NAPA mostly. I think it is accepted in more places than GS. Is there a list of places that give GS discounts, and how much? AAA is typically 10%.

Thanks for posting about Good Sam, I may change when my AAA membership expires.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Well, this is depressing. The list of available discounts:

https://goodsamroadside.accessdevelopment.com/home

I think I will stick with AAA. I save way more than the membership cost each year. There is very little that GS offers in the way of discounts that interests me.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

The difference for us was that GS would tow both the tow vehicle and the trailer.

I need to review the policy. In our region, in 2008, AAA would only tow one. It varies around the country.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Towing the car and the trailer is a big thing. I've got GEICO and Karen purchased the Good Sam a couple of years ago just for piece of mind. Honestly after using MBrace for the first time,which is the same as OnStar basically, I'm sticking with that. We were in the middle of nowhere Tennessee on our way to pick up our Olli and blew a tire. We simply pushed the button on the dash, the lady told us where we were with their GPS locater and passed it on to the towing company, who showed up 20 minutes later and helped me finish changing the tire, torqued the lug nuts for me and then helped me repack everything into the car. If you're vehicle has one of these types of options, then that's a big plus. The tow truck driver also set up and had the 2 new tires we needed, delivered to the Firestone dealership as we arrived. Our insurance does tow both the car and the trailer also. If I remember right, the Good Sam has replacement for the trailer if it gets totalled, not just a calculated amount and this is another big plus for them. We use the Good Sam discounts at Camping World all of the time and even though we are way over insured with both, it gives Karen that peace of mind along with the discounts that we regularly use.  So also look at your insurance to see if they will just total out a trailer and not replace it with a new one because trying to find a used Oliver for replacement is impossible.

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

Towing the car and the trailer is a big thing. I've got GEICO and Karen purchased the Good Sam a couple of years ago just for piece of mind. Honestly after using MBrace for the first time,which is the same as OnStar basically, I'm sticking with that. We were in the middle of nowhere Tennessee on our way to pick up our Olli and blew a tire. We simply pushed the button on the dash, the lady told us where we were with their GPS locater and passed it on to the towing company, who showed up 20 minutes later and helped me finish changing the tire, torqued the lug nuts for me and then helped me repack everything into the car. If you're vehicle has one of these types of options, then that's a big plus. The tow truck driver also set up and had the 2 new tires we needed, delivered to the Firestone dealership as we arrived. Our insurance does tow both the car and the trailer also. If I remember right, the Good Sam has replacement for the trailer if it gets totalled, not just a calculated amount and this is another big plus for them. We use the Good Sam discounts at Camping World all of the time and even though we are way over insured with both, it gives Karen that peace of mind along with the discounts that we regularly use. So also look at your insurance to see if they will just total out a trailer and not replace it with a new one because trying to find a used Oliver for replacement is impossible.

Once again, it's saying another duplicate reply, so when I opened up a new window and the reply still wasn't there, I added this one again for the 3rd time. The page is acting a little buggy this week to say the least :)

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

AAA RV will cover the trailer. Standard plans do not.

https://wa.aaa.com/membership/compare?zip=99206&stateprov=wa&city=spokane&devicecd=TB

John Davies

Spokane WA

We have a GS membership. We were in a park in the Atlanta area about a year ago. We needed to leave on a Sunday morning and as luck would have it our truck had a dead battery. We called GS and after several calls back telling us that they had not been able to find anyone to come out I finally resolved the problem myself. We've had the coverage for several years and this was the first time we've needed it and I was not impressed at all. I've never checked the AAA membership for RV coverage but I will when our GS membership is up this year.

Hap