Day/Night Window Shade Questions

• 2 years later...
  • Moderators
On 4/6/2017 at 7:11 PM, ScubaRx said:

OK, Tali and I restrung the shade with the broken string this evening.  Not the most enjoyable task we've ever done but it beats a sharp stick in your eye.  A little complicated until you've done it a couple of times but once you "see" how it works it's really not too bad.  I had to partially disassemble another one to see how much tension to put on the strings.  I'll be happy to restring one for anybody for only $500.00 string included.

OK, we broke a string. Can’t afford $500 or a sharp stick in the eye. Since we’re on the road it will have to wait until we get home. Question: where is the best place to get string?  We will use the instructions in this thread. 

They don’t make the beige shades anymore and Jason quoted me $660 to replace all shades with the new white ones. When we get home I’ll open a bottle of wine, clear off the dining room table and earn my Shade Restringing Merit Badge. Mike

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

Spent about 3 hours restringing my wounded window shade this afternoon.  I used 1mm shade cord, ordered 30’ which was about right to restring the top (screen).  It looked a bit overwhelming at first, strings going everywhere... The diagrams and photos in this post were helpful.  I also took pictures as I disassembled to help with the reassembly.  Once you have it apart it’s interesting to see how it works.

• Like 2

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• 1 year later...

I had two blinds snap a string in the same week. I have the old beige colored frames so I'm thinking of ordering all new white ones and calling it a day. Some of the blinds aren't folding closed very nicely anymore either. Hull 110 is getting up there in age so it's about time. 

Thoughts?

Chris
2016 Legacy Elite II  o--o  Hull #110 o--o  Wayfinder  o--o  Twin Bed  o--o  2020 RAM 1500 Limited 5.7L 
Augusta, Georgia

• Moderators

A generous forum member in the Florida panhandle posted a full set for free, but you have to pick them up. 

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

4 hours ago, Wayfinder said:

I had two blinds snap a string in the same week. I have the old beige colored frames so I'm thinking of ordering all new white ones and calling it a day. Some of the blinds aren't folding closed very nicely anymore either. Hull 110 is getting up there in age so it's about time. 

Thoughts?

Believe later hull # LE2s have different size rear window than earlier LE2 hull #, but don't know Hull # when rear window size changed?

• Like 1

LE2

• Moderators

That's a good point, @rideandfly. I know the rear window in current Elite I is a bit larger than mine, too.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Do you know how much they are, these days? 

Our Minnesota friends lost a couple to their rescue dogs. I suspect a full set is pretty pricey.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

So, roughly $200  a shade?

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• 1 year later...
  • Moderators
On 4/3/2017 at 1:43 PM, bugeyedriver said:

I found the tension on the strings can be adjusted by moving a small metal shuttle that slides up or down in the channel on the side of the frame. A small Allen wrench us useful for this fix.

I've not found anything that looks like this - yet.  Certainly nothing that an Allen wrench could be used for.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

7 hours ago, topgun2 said:

I about to join the "re-stringing club"!

How many cans of  beer or glasses of wine (whine?) does it take?

Bill

Took me twice as long on the first shade compared to the second shade. Your estimate probably OK for the second shade.

5 hours ago, topgun2 said:

I've not found anything that looks like this - yet.  Certainly nothing that an Allen wrench could be used for.

Bill

Don’t think our 2015 model had one, but it was 6 years ago. 😐

LE2

• Moderators

We haven't had to restring shades (yet) in our 2008.

I do remember,  vaguely, Oliver changing up manufacturers at some point. So, maybe some need the Allen wrench, others don't?

• Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• 4 weeks later...

I know that this is a very old thread, but I have to replace a cord in a shade. It seems that the string is fastened inside the horizontal frame rail. Can someone tell me how to access where the cord is fastened inside that frame section. Thank you. 

2021 Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull #845

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, Stevon said:

I know that this is a very old thread, but I have to replace a cord in a shade. It seems that the string is fastened inside the horizontal frame rail. Can someone tell me how to access where the cord is fastened inside that frame section. Thank you. 

In order to replace a broken cord you’ll need to remove the shade and put it on some kind of work surface.  I used our kitchen bar area.  Look at the back and you’ll see that the whole thing is held together by some screws.  Once removed you can pull the frame pieces apart.  Check the diagram by @rideandfly on the first page of this thread.  It’s what I used for both shades that I did.  Once you see how the cord is routed it will make more sense.  It’s important to get the tension right when you tie the new cord to the spring on the bottom of the frame, too tight and it’s hard to move the shade.  Too lose and the shade won’t stay up.  I had to re-tie both of the ones I did, one was too tight and the other too lose!  Good luck - Mike

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

• Moderators
41 minutes ago, Stevon said:

Thank you. I have it apart and I think I have it figured out. 

Great!  Now - mine is on my shop floor, can you come over and finish it for me?😃

Bill

• Haha 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/30/2023 at 12:17 PM, topgun2 said:

Great!  Now - mine is on my shop floor, can you come over and finish it for me?😃

Bill

Someone with an artistic ability should design an "Oliver Window Shade Re-Stringer Club" patch for our flight jackets....   You get to wear one after successfully re-stringing your first window shade 🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Oscar & Magnus (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

• Moderators
12 hours ago, MAX Burner said:

Someone with an artistic ability should design an "Oliver Window Shade Re-Stringer Club" patch for our flight jackets....   You get to wear one after successfully re-stringing your first window shade 🤪

Boy scout/girl scout/Ollie scout patch.

Love it!

• Haha 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

16 hours ago, MAX Burner said:

I restrung one in a Fleetwood Discovery.  Will that count?

• Wow 1

2014 Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel 4X4 Truck

2024 Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull 1460

ARILINIAKSKYLAMIMNMONMOHOKPASDTNTXVAmed.