Soon-to-Be New Ollie Owners from Southeastern Arizona

Spike

Greetings!

My wife, Liz, and I are excited to be picking up our new Elite II in early June. This will be are first RV. We are musicians and song writers, hoping to connect on the road with other musicians on our way back to Arizona, where we will be performing at the Flagstaff Folk Festival before heading back down to our home in Southeastern Arizona.

We'll be towing our Ollie, twin-bed model, with our 2012 Tundra. Since we are new, not only to the Oliver, but to RVing itself, we have had to do a lot of research and ask for much advice, and have found this forum quite helpful. Any advice for new owners, as well as for new RVers would be greatly appreciated.

Right now I have one question to which I haven't quite found the best answer: I am supposing that most Ollie owners travel with some kind of collapsible ladder to enable them to do things like check and clean the roof (especially the solar panels, which our Ollie will have). I would be interested to learn of what kind of ladders other owners may have used and what they recommend.

I have found this ladder on the Internet, and it looks like it might do well. Any thoughts? Recommendations?

https://bestchoiceproducts.com/products/multi-purpose-aluminum-ladder-folding-step-ladder-extendable-heavy-duty?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlepla&variant=21288037763&gclid=CjwKEAjwqZ7GBRC1srKSv9TV_iwSJADKTjaDvTqg4M25l2IvxzWuXIZBJzlH5TX5VRopHGK3s8AnHRoCRjjw_wcB

sky528lrg-1_3dd201d4-de45-4399-9fea-e87b32173784_1024x1024.thumb.jpg.5752a53ce6eac35d2c13b18736e0392d.jpg

Onward through the Fog!

EarthPicks of Cochise County

AZCACOKSMONVNMORTNTXUTmed.jpg

Hi, welcome to the growing family of Oliver enthusiasts.

At the top of the forum page is a search box. Type in ladder. It will bring up all responses in here regarding ladders. Some comments of little or no interest, but you will get a cross section of the thoughtful process others have gone through. I believe the best one we have seen is the one Randy (Try2relax) has, maybe teleflex?, it will collapse to about 24" high, extend 15', and fit in the trailer closet. It will pinch if you are not careful collapsing, but don't ask how I know...

• Thanks 1

Spike

I do not have solar panels but I can tell you that the best thing to do is find what meets your needs and is the smallest and most compact possible.  That applies to EVERYTHING  you carry.  You just do not want to have more than necessary.  You may want to wait until you get home to see if you need one for the road.

I see you live in Sierra Vista.  I worked for several years supporting the Intel community at Fort Huachuca.  I did not live there but spent weeks there each year.  I love it there.  There are several beautiful campgrounds around the area.  My boss was base commander at Fort Huachuca when Kartchner Caverns was discovered.  It now has a great state Campground there.  I spent a week there last summer during monsoon season.  My Oliver did very well despite some large hail.  I left there and spent a week in Monument Valley.  I ran off of battery power for several days and was quite comfortable.  Oliver is a great Travel Trailer.  You made a wise decision.

• Thanks 1

Hi & Welcome Spike & Liz :)

You can find ladders and a bunch of accessories here -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/DVETVI1ZF5E8/ref=cm_wl_sortbar_o_page_2?reveal=all&view=null

Then as far as recommending things, the very first recommendation that I have is buy this

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003YJLAIK/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=DVETVI1ZF5E8&coliid=I2LDTOZB66F2O6

This way you can regulate the water to the level of pressure that you guys want. Then the list above has a lot of stuff that we use. As far as options, I would definitely get the Truma Hot water heater, Dexter easy flex, most definitely the built in inverter for blow driers, microwave, etc. The thickest mattresses they offer, the propane outside quick connects with the 30lb propane upgrade and at least the 4 - T105 batteries with the Solar. This way you will never be restricted to using a generator or needing to stay in an RV campground for power ever.

We also bought the Rhinoflex that is in the Amazon list, the Magma pots and pans and the cooking utensils that we have used for a few years. Plus you will at least want a sewer slinky to put the hose on top of. These are our every day recommendations that really work for us.

• Thanks 3

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

Welcome to the family! Like you we had never owned an RV before. My first recommendation is take the process slowly. The ONLY thing you NEED to start is a good tow vehicle, safe connection setup and a well balanced​ trailer.

It is TOO easy to spend too much and buy more stuff than you'll need. Read all the boards (airforums, fiberglassrv and this one) so many people have been there and done that and you can learn so much from just reading through all the pros and cons arguments for just about everything out there.

Just because you have more room than a tent now doesn't mean you have to fill it with things you'll never use, because everyone else thinks you should have something. Travel your way home and then around and get a feel for what you might need.

You ask about a ladder, I do have the telesteps and it works great, if you go this road be very wary of the cheap knock offs. But as was also mentioned, wait to see if you really need one for the road. How many times will you really need to be up there? You can easily pull the Tundra up next to the trailer and stand on the rail or the tail gate, can't quite reach a $15 three step on the tail gate would work.

As well built as they are, just remember, don't climb on the roof, they aren't made for it.

Otherwise, SUCTION CUPS rule in an Ollie.

Randy

One Life Live It Enjoyably

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

2015 Oliver Elite II Hull #69

Very cool that you know our area. Not a lot of folks know how great is is here in the SE corner of AZ. Yes, there are a lot of places around here we plan to spend a few nights or so once we bring our Ollie back from TN. Thanks for the tips.

Onward through the Fog!

Thanks! Bookmarked your Amazon link and put the water regulator in my shopping basket. Since we have already ordered our Ollie, we have many of the features you recommended--mattresses, etc.

Onward through the Fog!

Hi Liz and Spike,

Welcome to our Forum.  Thank you for including “EarthPicks of Cochise County” in your signature block.  I enjoyed viewing your video on “Leaving a Legacy…….”  Excellent!

Like yourself, I was brand new to RV camping when I bought my Ollie last June.  Our Forum members helped me learn to operate and maintain Ollie and we will be happy to help you.

As you journey along through the various stages of becoming an Ollie owner, you will encounter several major milestones.  Reaching the stage where you have completed selecting your options is an important milestone and can be a daunting task.  It sounds like you may have completed your list.  If not, reach out and various members can help provide a user prospective on a number of the options offered.

Sometimes the wait until your delivery day can seem endless.  I know that feeling!  Although I am hesitant to suggest this after viewing the superb quality of your video noted above, I have a collection of 10 goofy little videos posted on my profile.  Please feel free to view them for comic relief.  Sometimes viewing an Ollie either in person or via a video can help pass the time until your Ollie arrives.

Buzzy

• Thanks 1

Buzzy

2016 Oliver Elite II - June 9, 2016
2016 F150 Lariat 3.5L EB, Max Towing

• Moderators

Jeff and Liz, glad to hear you ordered your Oliver. We really enjoyed our visit with you and the tour of our trailer at Fort Huachuca in January - despite the cold windy weather!  As you can tell already there's lots of expertise here and everyone will be anxious to help. If we get back to Sierra Vista/Fort Huachuca will let you know. Mike

• Thanks 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderator+

Down the center of the roof it is 2 inches thick. I have seen two men at the factory carrying an air-conditioner while walking on the roof. The greatest danger of getting on the roof is an accidental fall. There is not a whole lot of available real estate up there and it would be easy to trip.

In answer to your original question, we carry a 12 foot extend and climb collapsible ladder. When I purchased that ladder back in 2013 my original idea was to store it in the basement. It will not fit in that area but I discovered that it nicely stood against the wall separating the closet from the bathroom and that's where it has been for the past three years. We do not use it often but when you need to access your roof, nothing will substitute for a sturdy ladder.

After meeting you in Sierra Vista, Tali and I felt sure you and your wife would soon be joining the family of Oliver owners. It is good to know you have made the jump.

We plan to come back to the west in about a month or so and spend some time up in the north west.

• Thanks 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Here's to your Ollie, your family, and your new Ollie family.

I am a fairly new owner of a used Ollie, still experimenting and still learning (aren't those part of the enjoyment?).  There are huge lists of things I might want to buy to add to our enjoyment of camping, especially as our trips become longer excursions. A ladder is on that list...about midway. Still, our approach is that we'd rather wait to experience a need for each item before we lug it with us, as opposed to buying a ton of stuff to head off expected needs that never materialize.

Perhaps, I will need a travel ladder on the road at some point, but so far...not. (after only 6,500 miles or so- and perhaps 60 nights). Of course I have ladders and other methods of roof access at home.

To ScubaRX's point, I also watched the crew walking on Ollie Rooftop while doing the plant tour. I asked that particular question and they said it is no problem. I have spent a few brief moments on mine..and it did not collapse.  Perhaps this is a question that should be asked at the Rally.

Congratulations on your purchase. See you on the road!

• Thanks 1

Mike and Elizabeth Smith

Snow Lake Shores, MS

2016 Ford F150 3.5 EB, max tow (20,900  miles pulling Ollie since Sept 2016)

Spike,

Welcome and congratulations on your Ollie!

There are certain items we always take while camping, one is a step ladder. We only use a 4' step ladder while camping at this time, but appreciate seeing the information shared here, we need upgrade our camping ladder, too.

Hope to see y'all camping!

• Thanks 1

LE2

To ScubaRX’s point, I also watched the crew walking on Ollie Rooftop while doing the plant tour. I asked that particular question and they said it is no problem. I have spent a few brief moments on mine..and it did not collapse. Perhaps this is a question that should be asked at the Rally.

This is good to know, when I was there last summer having work done I asked Justin, the guy coordinating all my service as Tommy was on vacation, and he stressed not to stand on it and said they only ever move around on hands and knees to spread out the weight load.

Randy

One Life Live It Enjoyably

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

2015 Oliver Elite II Hull #69