Omnia camping oven, and other kitchen gadgetry

SeaDawg

• Moderators

I'm sure all of you in WiFi range saw the monthly newsletter, which included an article on member Bell's Sweden built Omnia stove top oven.

I was skeptical, til I went to YouTube. Dozens of vids of great products, with recipes, from the stove top oven. Unfortunately, the biggest group is in German, but if you can't read German, you'll probably still get the drift, with or without Google translate.

All the campers we deliver to Alaska have little ovens, and I'd love to have an oven in my Oliver.

But, nowhere to put one. Til now.

Even so, I think I'd dig out the single burner camp stove from the emergency kit in the garage, and use it outside. I don't love sitting inside the camper on a beautiful day, even to make stuffed pizza...

It's on the first pass, pricey. But, cheaper than a $600 oven above the fridge, and the install. And the probable problems with a big heat source above the fridge, which is why I gave up the idea of replacing my dead microwave with a tiny oven...

Anyone used an Omnia stove top oven?

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Well isn't that funny, when I googled it the first site to pop up was

https://seadogboatingsolutions.com/omnia-stove-top-oven.html

Any relation?

They do seem interesting, while we don't have one, I believe it was over on Fiberglass RV where they've been discussing them fairly recently.

Randy

One Life Live It Enjoyably

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

2015 Oliver Elite II Hull #69

For me cooking/camping is all about being outside. If rain is in the forecast, I set up a tarp over the outside kitchen. I do love using an oven and especially creating delicious pizza. With a good pizza oven and a handy laser thermometer, a whole world of outdoor oven creations is possible.

I have good luck using the Camp Chef line of products. I own their pizza oven attachment as part of the modular system. I simply use the propane quick connects on Ollie and I am cooking with gas and a happy Ollie camper. The Camp Chef website has great cooking ideas, such as the buffalo chicken nachos utilizing a cast iron skillet and the pizza oven. Catch the drools! ????

Buzzy

https://www.campchef.com/camp-stoves/14-cooking-systems/pro-60-deluxe-two-burner-stove.html

https://www.campchef.com/stove-accessories/outdoor-ovens/artisan-outdoor-oven-accessory.html

https://www.campchef.com/recipes/buffalo-chicken-nachos/

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

Buzzy

2016 Oliver Elite II - June 9, 2016
2016 F150 Lariat 3.5L EB, Max Towing

Those of you with the friction overhead doors may not want glass given your doors tend to develop unexpected door openings.

What are friction doors? Picture? I didn't realize they had different ones.

Randy

One Life Live It Enjoyably

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

2015 Oliver Elite II Hull #69

For me cooking/camping is all about being outside. If rain is in the forecast, I set up a tarp over the outside kitchen. I do love using an oven and especially creating delicious pizza. With a good pizza oven and a handy laser thermometer, a whole world of outdoor oven creations is possible.

I have good luck using the Camp Chef line of products. I own their pizza oven attachment as part of the modular system. I simply use the propane quick connects on Ollie and I am cooking with gas and a happy Ollie camper. The Camp Chef website has great cooking ideas, such as the buffalo chicken nachos utilizing a cast iron skillet and the pizza oven. Catch the drools! ????

Buzzy

https://www.campchef.com/camp-stoves/14-cooking-systems/pro-60-deluxe-two-burner-stove.html

https://www.campchef.com/stove-accessories/outdoor-ovens/artisan-outdoor-oven-accessory.html

<iframe class="wp-embedded-content" sandbox="allow-scripts" security="restricted" src="https://www.campchef.com/recipes/buffalo-chicken-nachos/embed/#?secret=Ij46C8ZICx" data-secret="Ij46C8ZICx" width="600" height="277" title="“Buffalo Chicken Nachos” — Camp Chef Recipes" frameborder="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

+1 on Buzzy's answer, we have the same set up that he does, just the Pro90 instead of the Pro60 because we usually cook for 4 to 8 people when using it. The griddle and the pizza oven are all we need to cook everything.

Then here Mom, Karen and I made pizza for around 10 people.

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

I'm guessing that you can't see my other tries at this post, so I'm condensing the 4th try...

+1 on Buzzy's answer, we have the same set up that he does, just the Pro90 instead of the Pro60 because we usually cook for 4 to 8 people when using it. The griddle and the pizza oven are all we need to cook everything.

Then here Mom, Karen and I made pizza for around 10 people.

• Thanks 1

Happy Camping,

null

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

• Moderators

Karen, I think the solution to my oven problem is to just follow you and Reed around. That pizza is amazing.

BTW, do you use the pizza oven for other items? Quiche? Meatloaf? Brownies.

Thanks for the vids. You two have great stories to share, and we all appreciate them.

Sherry

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

And, I thank everyone for alternative suggestions, but we almost always camp without power, other than the solar supplied by our panels.

So, toaster oven, electric convection, etc, are non starters for me.

I usually cook outside on wood campfire. I do have an old single burner available, propane.

I'm really thinking about rainy icky days when a single burner under the awning, or a stove top appliance, inside, might give me a way to make quiche, meatloaf, rolls/ bread/,muffins?

Not really looking for another camp stove or grill. We have a great infrared grill that we quit carrying, because we didn't use it enough. Our preferred method is campfire cooking.

When it rains, I make soup, or we go into town, these days....

Sherry

PS... No, Randy, seadog is not my cousin. I don't want to work that hard. We're retired. :) I enjoyed the idea, though. Thanks!

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

Sherry,

REI sells a lightweight oven that is a non-stick 10" skillet with a lid which has a rudimentary thermometer built into the handle. I've used one in my Ollie. It is perfect for that cold,icky, rainy day when a nice shepherd's pie is what you are hankering for. It comes with a heat diffuser which eliminates hotspots, a heat reflective hood which captures the heat and creates the oven effect, and a great hot lid remover. Made for the backpacking crowd, it is very lightweight.

https://www.rei.com/product/653555/backpackers-pantry-outback-oven-10

Pete

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

Man, I'm getting tired of having to copy and paste replies half a dozen times to get them posted...

Here we go again -

And, I thank everyone for alternative suggestions, but we almost always camp without power, other than the solar supplied by our panels.

So, toaster oven, electric convection, etc, are non starters for me.

I usually cook outside on wood campfire. I do have an old single burner available, propane.

Thanks!

Sherry

What about a simple Dutch Oven? They come in all shapes and sizes and they work fine over a single propane burner also with a hood. Karen bakes everything and makes pies in ours as well over a single burner or with the standard charcoal briquetts. They have Dutch Oven contests at some of the Rally's we go to. And the flat top lid is used to put coals on the top. This is our main open fire cooking pot. Our friends use the tripod also in the list but we just set it in the coals or use a single burner with a lid.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_4_18?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=camping+cast+iron+dutch+oven&sprefix=Camping+Dutch+oven%2Caps%2C281&crid=13W4MKEF62DG1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Acamping+cast+iron+dutch+oven

Here's the lid for using with a burner

https://www.amazon.com/Volcano-Outdoors-30-700-Lid-Grilling/dp/B004FGP07S

Happy Camping,

null

• Moderators

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions.

Bugbite, nice to know another omnia owner

Pete, the backpacker oven is my kind of indoor solution now. Little fry pan with a lid. I do that now, with makeshift equipment.

Reed and Karen, I own a couple Dutch ovens. I reserve them for campfire , not rainy days. I guess I could use them indoors. Heritage cookware is pretty cool. I'm not a master, like you two. And, cast iron is heavy, so, I don't usually take it around on long trips.

Camp chef makes a highly rated, semi portable oven, with burners. At about 45 pounds. I don't think I'd take it on a long trip, but it could work on our camping property. I am adverse to asking for Paul's help to just set up for cooking. That's why I found the small omnia appealing.

I also have aversions to buying single purpose gear. I carry two pans, three knives, two cutting boards, ordinarily. I thought the omnia might work on the boat as well as in the trailer. Otherwise, I'd rather spend $80 on another good knife, than a single purpose item in a rarely used underbed bin.

Thanks, again.

Sherry

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

Check this out. Outdoor charcoal cooker, smoker, boiler, fryer, oven

Weighs just 8 pounds and cooks for 3 hours on only 8 briquettes

Here's the store link

http://cobbgrillamerica.strikingly.com

and on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Cobb-Premier-Portable-Stainless-Smoker/dp/B000GGTYIW/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1492021876&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=cobb+pro+smoker

• Thanks 1

Happy Camping,

null

Happy Camping,

null

• Moderators

Yes, Karen, that has my name all over it...

The first time I saw the Cobb online, it was only available outside the US.

I'd forgotten about it. I'm sure it's available here now.

Thanks!!

Sherry

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

I've owned a Cobb for many years and its a fantastic piece of cook kit.  And yes, it lives up to its claims of excellent cooking on a minimal number of charcoal briquets.  Extremely well made.  The only down side is when it comes to cleaning it, especially with no dishwasher available,  it becomes extremely greasy inside, so I recommend using a mild abrasive cleaner, or the blue can of Easy Off oven cleaner (fume free).    Lots of discussions regarding the Cobb on various forums.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

On another note, one of the other cooking tools I miss when camping without power is my Crock-Pot.

Has anyone here tried one of the thermal cookers, like the sunpentown and thermos brands? Heat an inner container and contents on a burner to boiling for a few minutes, seal it up in what's basically a big thermos, and come home from a day of fun to dinner?

Thermal cooker

41iyk-2LfnL._SY400_.jpg.79c94ec59776a24cdbb16eb5eacd42b2.jpg

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

On another note, one of the other cooking tools I miss when camping without power is my Crock-Pot.

Has anyone here tried one of the thermal cookers, like the sunpentown and thermos brands? Heat an inner container and contents on a burner to boiling for a few minutes, seal it up in what's basically a big thermos, and come home from a day of fun to dinner?

Thermal cooker

[attachment file=50506]

41iyk-2LfnL._SY400_-1.jpg.6f00a3f47164cf04fc57a506c0d5117a.jpg

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators
Back Packers Pantry Outback Oven https://www.rei.com/product/653555/backpackers-pantry-outback-oven-10 Pete, Went to the link got the message below: “This product is no longer available, but don’t go just yet…”

Looks like REI are no longer  stocking it.  It can be found at other sellers through a Google search, though.

Years ago I purchased  Cobb cooker.  Great food, but the cleanup drain on the water supply was a downer.  Then I found the Backpacker's Oven.  It is cheap to buy, cooks well, but you need to make sure not to bump the hood if it is used inside the camper.

After seeing this thread, I purchased an Omnia and cooked seasoned chicken breasts to perfection using the silicone insert.  Cleanup was a breeze.  It is already packed for this summer's wanderings.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

• Moderators
She is a very nice lady so people please be polite and cordial as I know you can be.

Pat, the vast majority of postings on this forum are courteous and helpful towards other members.  On the rare occasion someone establishes a pattern of departing from the proper decorum, a moderator will step in and resolve the issue.  Thank you for inviting Ginger to share her knowledge of this oven.  I am sure her inputs will be welcomed.

• Thanks 2