Security lock for Oliver

geO

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

We've used both a collar lock, and a lock that fits into the place where the hutch ball would be towing.

It's dark now. I could take a few photos tomorrow.

Check etrailer and Amazon for bulldog hitch locks.

The collar lock circles the opening prongs on the hitch, traveling, or at rest. This prevents the hitch from being opened at a rest stop. The other lock is used when camped.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

The collar like is like this one

Screenshot_20170405-221249.thumb.png.ae5396f91cc7f4f094fc288c5c2880e5.png

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Hitch lock, when camped is something like this...

Screenshot_20170405-221759.thumb.png.a7db23fb8b728b37c6944d001c8c1688.png

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

I found the collar lock we use , both while towing and camped, on Amazon. When camped, we add the hitch lock above.

https://www.amazon.com/Collar-Trailer-Bulldog-style-Couplers-Including/dp/B00HL2NM0K

Screenshot_20170408-115811.thumb.png.6df9b85c314f5a0accee4e993891d601.png

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

Hitch lock, when camped is something like this…

That's a Blaylock and it gets good reviews, but the body is forged aluminum and even easier to saw through than mild steel. Do you worry about that? I know any lock can be defeated, but using aluminum for the main part seems dubious, at best.

https://www.amazon.com/Blaylock-American-Metal-TL-20-Coupler/dp/B000CEFWO8

As an aside, all the Blaylock stuff seems to be made by blind rednecks with angle grinders and 40 grid sanding pads. They exhibit no signs of quality at all, in terms of the finish and appearance. This is kind of at odds with the beautiful appearance of an Ollie, tho that shouldn't matter for a lock.

Thanks.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

I'm still debating if it might be better to pull the cross bolt in the telescoping tongue and just pull out the bulldog coupler and put it away.  That would leave an open hole where there used to be a coupler.

I'll check tomorrow, but I wonder if a 1 7/8" ball would slip up into the closed bulldog hitch.  If so, "The Collar" could be easily defeated.

Also, a hidden switch on the front jack power wire, to disable it, would make it much harder to hook up.

Another idea is to tie a string to the emergency breakaway switch and tie the other end to one of the wheels, or a big nail in the ground.  After moving about a foot, the brakes would lock.  Of course, the trailer would already be hooked up, but it wouldn't be going anywhere and there would be a big commotion.

The coupler lock is the first line of defense and is right out there for the bad guys to see.  A good deterrent.

John

"I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt."

LE2 #92 (sold),   Black Series HQ19   

• Moderators

John Davies, I totally agree. The casting on the photo I posted of the hitch lock is terrible. Our ten year old lock, of undetermined manufacturer, looks better, but is probably aluminum as well. In conjunction with the collar lock (stainless, not hardened), it's been ok for nine plus years, but that's like lightning rod theory. It works, til it doesn't.

Raspy, I don't know if a smaller ball would fit, if the hitch lock were cut off. Maybe.

I do like the simplicity of the Gus Hill bull lock that Buzzy originally posted, and John Davies referenced. It's a hardened aluminum, but still aluminum. And I love puck locks. Here's a working link

https://gushill.com/product/the-bull-bulldog-hitch-lock/

It's certainly more attractive, but I'd still want the collar lock for transit.

I know all locks can be broken, with time. Most of us just want to make our trailer time consuming to steal, and send the guy further down the road... At home, highly visible cameras add an extra deterrent. We recently bought a gen 3 spot, not just for theft tracking, but for peace of mind when traveling. Our daughter followed our boat on the last long trip on a rental transponder, and it gave her some confidence.

Gen 3 spot can also transmit an sos in areas where you don't have cell service, as I understand it. We haven't tried that yet. Hope we never have to.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

I use "The Collar" along with the Gus Hill lock. The Gus Hill lock looked to be the strongest one that I could find. The collar lock is great while traveling to make sure the hitch doesn't open and also slow down someone from removing the camper from your tow vehicle. Also don't forget to lock your tow bar to your receiver!

• Thanks 2

2017 Elite II, Hull #208

2019 Chevy HD 2500 Duramax

I’ll check tomorrow, but I wonder if a 1 7/8″ ball would slip up into the closed bulldog hitch. If so, “The Collar” could be easily defeated.

Buy a 2 inch steel ball here: ... https://www.amazon.com/Inch-Chrome-Steel-Bearing-Ball/dp/B0074VCP8S/ref=pd_sbs_328_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0074VCP8S&pd_rd_r=3M8VRMDXW2QG0GNP4A8A&pd_rd_w=86Cm8&pd_rd_wg=vvVu4&psc=1&refRID=3M8VRMDXW2QG0GNP4A8A

Insert the ball into your coupler, then close and lock it. Ta DA!

Talk about layers of protection. Nobody would see that coming....

BTW I love your idea about anchoring the break-away lanyard to a fixed object. I would love to see the expression on a thief's face when the trailer brakes lock up hard.

I'll take your "switch in the front jack wire" idea to the next level. Install a hidden unlabeled toggle switch in the main power wire coming off the fuse for the entire jack circuit, inside the cabin. Run all the jacks down and flip the switch. Or just remove the fuse. All three jacks will be disabled in the extended position.

I am adding all this cool MacGyver stuff to my Oliver Honey Do List.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

I’ll take your “switch in the front jack wire” idea to the next level. Install a hidden unlabeled toggle switch in the main power wire coming off the fuse for the entire jack circuit, inside the cabin.

I'm not sure about the newer trailers but the double digit ones each jack is on its own 30A fuse, so you may need to plan design a multi-relay single control for all circuits instead.

Randy

One Life Live It Enjoyably

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

2015 Oliver Elite II Hull #69

If you 'pop' the bubble level on your front jack, can't you manually retract it. If the thief has the forethought to bring a hacksaw, they also have the right tool to do it. A bright obvious chain around an axle and through a wheel might also help. The idea is to make it obvious that it might be best to go elsewhere.

Is the Oliver that much in demand that it is a target? Would think they would look for something easily sold, and not so easily recognised going down the road..

In regards to disabling all three of the jacks, yes, I did not realize that there are three separate circuits. That complicates the solution but it would be a really easy mod.

Dodge_Power_Center.jpg

These folks will build any custom relay setup that you can think of, or you can easily find the parts to do something similar with a minimum of tools and skills.

https://ceautoelectricsupply.com/custom-relay-panels/

Since you have an Oliver, money is no object ;) so you could go Bluetooth and enable or disable the jack system from your phone....:

http://relaypros.com/Relay/Relay/CAT_RELAY4_BLUETOOTH

I think the first idea would be fine and reliable with 30 amp relays, the latter is definitely overkill.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Securing the Ollie has been a subject of discussion on this forum a number of times. I've seen lots of ideas and products, but the comments that have swayed me are the ones that suggest that insurance is the best protection. I may be wrong, but I think it's uncommon for a thief to steal a travel trailer from a campground or a boondocking site. When I'm not using my Ollie, it's in a secure indoor storage facility. Has anyone heard of an Ollie or similar travel trailer being stolen?

Don

Don

2020 Kimberley Kruiser T3

2019 Ram 2500 Diesel

States I visited with my Ollie (Sold October, 2019)

States Visited Map

• Moderators

I'm sure it's not a common occurrence, but if it can be taken from someones driveway,  I'm sure the same sort of rare scumbag might try to take it elsewhere.  Insurance is a must and can make you whole again, but a little dissuasion can ease the easily worried mind.

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

Something like this perhaps?

That is easy to defeat by simply removing the wheel.  Then drive away on three wheels or bolt on the spare.

John

"I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt."

LE2 #92 (sold),   Black Series HQ19   

• Moderator+
This looks formidable….http://amzn.to/2peX70n

That would be my choice.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg