Couple of water hose questions

John E Davies

Everybody carries the cheap plastic end caps, like Home Depot: two for $1.20.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Orbit-3-4-in-Threaded-Hose-Caps-2-Pack-27902/100659301

I am looking for some inexpensive male plugs to block the other end of the hoses for transport and to keep dirt and critters out. (I don't want to just plug both ends of the hoses together.)

Also, I want to make a gray water drain hose. I already have a clear 3 inch waste cap with hose fitting, I need to come up with the correct bulk hose that will be light, kink free, compact when coiled, and large enough internal diameter for free flow of the gray water. Ideally translucent so I could see a blockage. How about this?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TMTFV3G/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1X5H11EH41351&coliid=I2RFELJWY671XO&psc=1

I could also use three feet of it to make a hose for suction filling the Ollie's tank from a jerry can.

I would probably source the hose locally so I can get a custom length and save on shipping.

Suggestions are most welcome. Thanks.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

John, my only input is that the gray tank seems to drain fairly slow, even with the large diameter hose.  I'm sure a 1" hose would work, might just take a little longer.  May not be an issue for you, especially since you won't be using your black tank.  You won't have to worry about the bulk of the large hose.  Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

John, my only input is that the gray tank seems to drain fairly slow, even with the large diameter hose. I’m sure a 1″ hose would work, might just take a little longer. May not be an issue for you, especially since you won’t be using your black tank. You won’t have to worry about the bulk of the large hose. Mike

Well, yes the slowness isn't an issue for me, as I will not have a usable black tank. I want to leave the big hose at home and utilize the extra bumper storage space for other stuff.

Is there a cause for the slowness of the gray tank draining? It does not make sense - it should gush out of there. There is plenty of venting from the sinks and it's a 1 1/2 inch pipe system, correct? Are you sure you don't have a restriction in your gray drain pipes, or the sink stoppers are in place?

Thanks.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

John,

I think the reason the tank drains slowly is due to its design of only being a few inches tall.  It has plenty of capacity but most of that is due to its modest width and very long length.  The column of water pressure does not have a sufficient vertical component to allow it to have much oomph.  One way of increasing its drain speed is to elevate the front end and thereby providing a bit larger vertical component to the water's shape.  I think you may get a bit faster if your 1" drain hose is draining down a steep hill and there is no air leaking back up the hose.  That can provide more of a suction component to the water flow.

As you state, if you are mainly using it as a continuous flow-through system, speed would not be too much of a hindrance.  Make sure your trailer is not in a nose down position or you may have some gray water that does not drain at all.

That extra storage space in your large bumper will be nice.

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

• Moderators

Well, yes the slowness isn’t an issue for me, as I will not have a usable black tank. I want to leave the big hose at home and utilize the extra bumper storage space for other stuff. Is there a cause for the slowness of the gray tank draining? It does not make sense – it should gush out of there. There is plenty of venting from the sinks and it’s a 1 1/2 inch pipe system, correct? Are you sure you don’t have a restriction in your gray drain pipes, or the sink stoppers are in place? Thanks. John Davies Spokane WA

Our vents are good and we drain with the stoppers out.  It's just because the tank is so flat, not much pressure.  Since you don't have to worry about a black tank, you could just leave the gray open if you're in an area that allows that.

I can think of a few things I could carry in the rear bumper if I didn't have to carry my big slinky.

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderator+

John, I thinks that's a great idea.  Would this work for you?

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderators

John,

I have used a regular old fresh water supply hose that just happened to be "grey" instead of the usual white for dumping the grey water - and - at times even the black water when I knew that there were no solids in there.  As you know, there are a bunch of open places "out west" that not only allow the dumping of grey water but actually encourage it.  Since time is not usually of the essence when I've done it, I've really not paid too much attention - just poke the end of the hose down a ground squirrel hole, open the waste gate and go off to have a beer.  For obvious reasons, if you were to use an old fresh water supply hose just make sure you mark it such that it is not used for the original intended purpose.  On the other hand, the type of hose that you show on Amazon would be great in the event of clog as you mention and I'm guessing that it would resist kinking better than a non-reinforced hose.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

John, I thinks that’s a great idea. Would this work for you?

That's what I am looking for, I guess if I order four the cost is not horrible ($5.29 each). I wonder why these are so darned hard to find compared to the other end (which are $0.65 each)?

I did find this source for plugs and they are $0.32 each plus shipping, unfortunately they have a $25 minimum, so I may see if my local hose supplier has something similar "off the shelf".

https://www.industrialspec.com/shop/ghp-n.html

I don't have an old garden hose to use, that is big enough - I want 3/4" or larger, so I am trying to not buy an expensive new large diameter garden hose when I can build it custom for less with a more suitable material. For some reason large diameter hoses are pricier than the 5/8 inch size, I think because they are sort of commercial grade and are made a lot heavier and thicker, the exact opposite of what I am looking for.

Thanks for the comments.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Close! But it is only 1/2 inch which is definitely too small for gravity discharge.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Moderators

John,

I think that I found those male plugs at my local Ace Hardware store a couple of years ago.  As I recall, they were a tad more expensive that the females, but not anywhere near the $5.29 you sight.  Worth a try.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

A big part of the slow drain we have found is that when the shower back flow drain valve is closed, so is the only sink vent, which makes the tank gulp air. So it drains a lot faster when that valve is open. When our trailer is level and I open the drain, it leaves around 25% in the tank because of the height of the 3" fitting coming out of the tank - according to the tank monitor. Which is no big deal unless we're leaving. Most dumps have the trailer ramp set on an angle one way or the other and it's usually enough to get a fast dump with the shower back flow valve open, but either way it empties completely with a slight tilt.

John, that hose in your link kinks, but being that it's just a drain hose why not use cheap Blue Lay Flat?

https://www.google.com/search?sclient=tablet-gws&site=&source=hp&q=blue+lay+flat+discharge+hose&oq=Blue+lay+&gs_l=tablet-gws.1.0.0l2j0i22i30k1.4877.9438.0.11610.10.9.0.1.1.0.256.1331.0j8j1.9.0....0...1c.1j4.64.tablet-gws..0.9.1230.0..35i39k1j0i131k1j0i67k1j0i20k1.buSMv3FY0UA

It's just water discharge hose and it rolls up flat. Then you could use a larger hose and use an ABS RV adapter to fit the size you need and simply clamp the lay flat on the first time, then roll it up, put a bungee ball on it to keep it rolled up and call it good...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/ECCENTRIC-TNK-REDCR-X1-5/142935187?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=7497&adid=22222222227070772270&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=t&wl3=182413017254&wl4=pla-286144944944&wl5=9032507&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=115781430&wl11=online&wl12=142935187&wl13=&veh=sem

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

Post disappeared... Try #2 -

A big part of the slow drain we have found is that when the shower back flow drain valve is closed, so is the only sink vent, which makes the tank gulp air. So it drains a lot faster when that valve is open. When our trailer is level and I open the drain, it leaves around 25% in the tank because of the height of the 3" fitting coming out of the tank - according to the tank monitor. Which is no big deal unless we're leaving. Most dumps have the trailer ramp set on an angle one way or the other and it's usually enough to get a fast dump with the shower back flow valve open, but either way it empties completely with a slight tilt.

John, that hose in your link kinks, but being that it's just a drain hose why not use cheap Blue Lay Flat?

https://www.google.com/search?sclient=tablet-gws&site=&source=hp&q=blue+lay+flat+discharge+hose&oq=Blue+lay+&gs_l=tablet-gws.1.0.0l2j0i22i30k1.4877.9438.0.11610.10.9.0.1.1.0.256.1331.0j8j1.9.0....0...1c.1j4.64.tablet-gws..0.9.1230.0..35i39k1j0i131k1j0i67k1j0i20k1.buSMv3FY0UA

It's just water discharge hose and it rolls up flat. Then you could use a larger hose and use an ABS RV adapter to fit the size you need and simply clamp the lay flat on the first time, then roll it up, put a bungee ball on it to keep it rolled up and call it good...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/ECCENTRIC-TNK-REDCR-X1-5/142935187?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=7497&adid=22222222227070772270&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=t&wl3=182413017254&wl4=pla-286144944944&wl5=9032507&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=115781430&wl11=online&wl12=142935187&wl13=&veh=sem

Happy Camping,

null

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Po2 –  John, that hose in your link kinks, but being that it’s just a drain hose why not use cheap Blue Lay Flat? https://www.google.com/search?sclient=tablet-gws&site=&source=hp&q=blue+lay+flat+discharge+hose&oq=Blue+lay+&gs_l=tablet-gws.1.0.0l2j0i22i30k1.4877.9438.0.11610.10.9.0.1.1.0.256.1331.0j8j1.9.0….0…1c.1j4.64.tablet-gws..0.9.1230.0..35i39k1j0i131k1j0i67k1j0i20k1.buSMv3FY0UA It’s just water discharge hose and it rolls up flat. Then you could use a larger hose and use an ABS RV adapter to fit the size you need and simply clamp the lay flat on the first time, then roll it up, put a bungee ball on it to keep it rolled up and call it good… https://www.walmart.com/ip/ECCENTRIC-TNK-REDCR-X1-5/142935187?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=7497&adid=22222222227070772270&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=t&wl3=182413017254&wl4=pla-286144944944&wl5=9032507&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=115781430&wl11=online&wl12=142935187&wl13=&veh=sem

Those are great suggestions. I have considered a large lay flat hose, but I was under the impression that they were intended for waste water or irrigation  pumps and that they needed considerable pressure to keep them "inflated", rigid and unkinked. Wouldn't one just stay fairly flat and perhaps buckle when hooked to a gray tank? Maybe the initial surge would keep it open, but it seems as if it would close up fairly tighty when the flow rate dropped. I haven't ever used one, so maybe these assumptions are faulty? I do like how compactly they store....

"This hose is recommended for open-ended discharge; connect it to the discharge side of a pump system only." ... https://www.amazon.com/Apache-98138015-Lay-Flat-Discharge-Aluminum/dp/B000PDO3NM

John Davies

Spokane WA

It's just water and soap, it will come out. Then just pick it up and walk it out once from the trailer in the air a bit to get the rest out after it's finished and then when it's rolled up tight, nothing is going to come out. I use them all the time. You could just use 3"... and if you go to a local industrial rubber hose store like

http://www.spokanehose.com

it will be cheap. I paid 12 cents a foot last time for 1 1/2". They sell it at plumbing stores but rubber supply houses will have that and... You should just go there and look around :) They will have fittings and hoses of all types also and you could just use cam-locks and then unhook it and drain it each time also. Or you might see a better way when your touring the store because there's tons of options.

Once it stops raining I will test my siphon, so hold off on that or just pick up some 1" clear poly tubing from any hardware. I just finished building a siphon for the Olli and will try it out in a couple days

It's like this but with a quick connect.

Happy Camping,

null

2nd time posting, it keeps deleting my posts

It's just water and soap, it will come out. Then just pick it up and walk it out once from the trailer in the air a bit to get the rest out after it's finished and then when it's rolled up tight, nothing is going to come out. I use them all the time. You could just use 3"... and if you go to a local industrial rubber hose store like

http://www.spokanehose.com

it will be cheap. I paid 12 cents a foot last time for 1 1/2". They sell it at plumbing stores but rubber supply houses will have that and... You should just go there and look around :) They will have fittings and hoses of all types also and you could just use cam-locks and then unhook it and drain it each time also. Or you might see a better way when your touring the store because there's tons of options.

Happy Camping,

null

Spokane hose, (I tried putting in the link but it just kept deleting the post...)

it will be cheap. I paid 12 cents a foot last time for 1 1/2". They sell it at plumbing stores but rubber supply houses will have that and... You should just go there and look around :) They will have fittings and hoses of all types also and you could just use cam-locks and then unhook it and drain it each time also. Or you might see a better way when your touring the store because there's tons of options...

Happy Camping,

null