Wall mounted flashlight or spotlight for night time excursions .....

John E Davies

and for Things That Go Bump in the Night? I've been looking at various lights and have pretty much decided on the very highly rated Fenix PD35 1000 lumen tactical light. It is compact and powerful with a 1 inch diameter housing, so it will clip into one (or two) of the stick-on "broom holders" close to the doorway, where it will be very quick to access.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DR9GWX0/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1X5H11EH41351&coliid=I1AYROSZRRV96L

Great info here, full review at the bottom. .... https://www.yourbestdigs.com/reviews/the-best-rechargeable-flashlight/

Comments? Do you have a dedicated security light or do you just use a small pocket one? If you do have a light attached to a wall, where did you mount it?

I have two different smaller Fenix lights and I am a huge fan. They really are great lights. I plan to keep my shotgun stored in the closet, so a good tactical light clipped nearby would be a great companion to it.

Thanks for any suggestions or pictures. I leave in three weeks for Hole-in-the-Wall TN to pick up my Ollie and I am getting really psyched up!

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

https://www.panthervision.com/powercap/hunting-fishing-outdoor/powercap-25-10-camo-blaze-led-lighted-hats.html

The outside lights on the Ollie are amazing, but I wear the hat above at night for set up when needed.

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

Happy Camping,

null

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

We always have used little backpacking headlights when camping and even at home.  It is not so much fun trying to chase a bear off your porch with a little headlight with weak batteries....yes, happens to us occasionally .. part of living in the mountains and forgetting to get a good handheld flashlight until you really need it NOW!   I  like your idea about mounting a flashlight  by the door. Always know where it is and easily assessable. I will pass the link to my husband. Maybe we will be prepared next time.  Thanks for the information ????

Yvonne

Yvonne & Doug

2017 Legacy Elite II, twin bed

Hull #223

2017 Ford F-250 Lariat, crew cab

John, Have you checked laws about ‘weapons’ in all states? Here in the east they have a lot of funny laws that vary greatly by state. Some even make sense, in somebodys eyes, I guess…

Yes, traveling with firearms has some problems, you need to be very aware of what is legal, and stay out of the Hell Hole areas that are simply not gun friendly, like DC, NJ, and NYC. A full sized 12 gauge shotgun is OK just about anywhere, but whether or not you can travel with it loaded varies by state. Handguns are way more complicated. I plan to keep my shottie in a police type quick access vertical mount, with a remote release button switch.

I will start a thread on this when I get my trailer and have time to install the rack. Can we keep this thread on topic about security lights for bears, bad guys, and trips to the potty?

Thanks.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

I keep an app called "Legal Heat" with me.  It is constantly updated and fairly simple to use.  With regards to flashlights - why is it that they are never exactly where you need them?  Scubarx's searchlight is really cool but you got to remember to turn it on.  I've got a couple of headlamps but they tend to have fairly limited scope as compared to the Fenix John mentions.  At night I always try to have a small Fenix in my pocket and keep one by on the nightstand.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

I tend to go for dog walks when it is dark and have been using a Boruit RJ-3000 headlamp.  It does free up my hands for leash and poop retrieval.  It has four light options and is very bright!  It is easy to operate with a gloved hand, stays put on your head, easy to recharge.  I hang it on a hook near the door. I have been happy with this gear.

https://www.amazon.com/Boruit-Rechargeable-Headlamp-Lumens-RJ-3000/dp/B01AI1SN4A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1492521006&sr=8-1&keywords=boruit+headlamps+rj-3000

Buzzy

Buzzy

2016 Oliver Elite II - June 9, 2016
2016 F150 Lariat 3.5L EB, Max Towing

Good topic.

I have a varied assortment of flashlights to include backpacking headlamps, to key chain mini LED, to several Fenix models, a Klarus light mounted on a Mossberg 500 (home defense), and one Fenix dedicated to illuminating the back yard when the dogs are out at night.

I may add this one, realizing it requires buying the battery pack seperately: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-18-Volt-ONE-Dual-Power-LED-Spotlight-P717/300234858

I think it would be handy both for truck camping and might replace the backyard illuminator I'm using (the Fenix).  It might be too bulky for your Ollie though.

I started looking at flashlights for the Ollie and even talked with Jason about giving me a charge port by the door, but at least in the past, I've found that there just aren't any occasions where I find a flashlight more useful than a headlamp. I have a Petzl Nao which I got for bike riding and I think it works really well for camp. The auto adjusting beam works as advertised, which has proved really useful when tent camping, and the brightness and battery life are both more than I need in camp.  I'm just going to have a set of hooks and maybe a storage net by the front door where we'll stash the headlamps, keys, etc.

I'm sure that the habits we've picked up while tent camping will change once we get the Ollie.  So we might find that having the porch lights and maybe some other awning lights means that putting on a headlamp to go to the truck or to investigate some noise will prove more trouble than just grabbing a flashlight.  So at the end of the day I still might spring for a couple flashlights, if nothing else just so I know that there's one stashed around in both the truck and trailer.  The one I had picked out is the Nitecore MH12, which at the time I was looking at them seemed like good compromise of brightness, throw, battery life, etc.  I'll definitely check out the ones mentioned here though.

Buzzy, that's quite a headlamp.  I'd be worried that I'd burn a hole in the Ollie or light the dog on fire with that thing,

Great comments! This forum is great.

I want to caution folks to not buy too many lumens. If you need to project a beam hundreds of yards (hunting, or on a boat) then a really high intensity beam, over 1000 lm, is desirable. But using one for poking around your campsite is a mistake, unless you can lower the intensity in increments. When it is pitch dark out, 200 lumens up close is _bright_. If you shine it onto a reflective surface like a window on your truck, you will dazzle yourself momentarily, and your night vision will be gone for minutes. If you reflect several thousand lumens into your eyes you will be saying lots of bad words.

Pick a light with multiple levels, and don't try to burn up the night, unless you are deliberately trying to blind or dazzle a large animal or a crook. My bedside tactical light is an older Gerber that is only 90 lumens, and it is plenty bright for walking around inside in the pitch dark. But it is no good at all outside if I need to throw a beam very far. My daily carry flashlight is an older Fenix TK16, I think, with a Turbo setting of about 500 lm, and I rarely need that much juice. These lights keep getting more and more powerful, and you don't usually need that much. Plus the really powerful lights can set fires and burn hands!

Also, you want a good beam spread, or scatter, so that more of the surroundings are lighted, with a defined bright spot in the middle. When mounted on a firearm, that bright central spot is where your shots will go, at close range.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

Happy Camping,

null

• Moderators

Overland, I like the minimal weight of your headlamp. Do you use the kit to transfer the battery weight to the belt? Most good headlamps are so heavy that they're tiring to wear.

A few years ago, I picked up a microfleece beanie on black Friday for Paul. He likes it on cool mountain nights. It's comfortable, 24 lumens ahead,24 down. And, I can launder it after removing the batteries. Available in a lot of places, including home Depot for less than $20.

We have several small led flashlights mounted with hook and loop/Velcro by the door and by the bed. I used the soft side on the light for easier handling. They stay put underway, and easily available at night, even though not very powerful, they'll get you to the power flashlights in the drawer...

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

I use this headlamp for around camp and night fishing. Multiple settings, dims, and has red for preserving night vision. Very light weight and comfortable.

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Diamond-Strom-Headlamp-Aluminum/dp/B019EY4VZM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1492568890&sr=8-2&keywords=black+diamond+headlamp

• Thanks 2

GrayGhost

2015 Legacy Elite II Hull # 98

2020 F150 3.5 EcoBoost

I started looking at flashlights for the Ollie and even talked with Jason about giving me a charge port by the door, but at least in the past, I’ve found that there just aren’t any occasions where I find a flashlight more useful than a headlamp. I have a Petzl Nao which I got for bike riding and I think it works really well for camp. The auto adjusting beam works as advertised, which has proved really useful when tent camping, and the brightness and battery life are both more than I need in camp. I’m just going to have a set of hooks and maybe a storage net by the front door where we’ll stash the headlamps, keys, etc. I’m sure that the habits we’ve picked up while tent camping will change once we get the Ollie. So we might find that having the porch lights and maybe some other awning lights means that putting on a headlamp to go to the truck or to investigate some noise will prove more trouble than just grabbing a flashlight. So at the end of the day I still might spring for a couple flashlights, if nothing else just so I know that there’s one stashed around in both the truck and trailer. The one I had picked out is the Nitecore MH12, which at the time I was looking at them seemed like good compromise of brightness, throw, battery life, etc. I’ll definitely check out the ones mentioned here though. Buzzy, that’s quite a headlamp. I’d be worried that I’d burn a hole in the Ollie or light the dog on fire with that thing,

Wow! That Nitecore MH12 looks exactly like my 3 year old Fenix PD35. They must have cross traded or something because an exact match in every way Except... there's no N on the thumb button.

https://www.amazon.com/Fenix-PD35-Flashlight-rechargeable-EdisonBright/dp/B00GACBSZ8/ref=sr_1_19?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1492570350&sr=1-19&keywords=Fenix+pd35

• Thanks 1

Happy Camping,

null

Sherry, I don't use the remote battery. I wear it over my bike helmet normally, so having the battery on the back counterbalances the weight of the light so that it doesn't pull down the front of the helmet.  At least that's why they say they designed it that way.  Honestly, it's light enough that I don't really notice the weight and haven't really thought about it.

I can say though that my wife has a little Snowpeak headlamp for camp that uses 3 AAA batteries and it's cool looking but I don't like wearing it because it feels like I have a weight on my forehead.

• Moderators

Thanks, Ovrrland. Your headlamp may be in Paul's stocking for Christmas. The lumens are excessive on one mode, but ok in other mode. A higher powered headlamp is great in many situations, as when working on the trailer or in the engine room on the boat.

Glad to hear you find the strapping comfortable. The last headlamp we bought was too heavy for comfort.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Thanks, Ovrrland. Your headlamp may be in Paul’s stocking for Christmas. The lumens are excessive on one mode, but ok in other mode. A higher powered headlamp is great in many situations, as when working on the trailer or in the engine room on the boat. Glad to hear you find the strapping comfortable. The last headlamp we bought was too heavy for comfort. Sherry

I'll second Overland's recommendation, I bought it for the same reason, biking, and have found that I use it for everything. It is USB rechargable or you can use a battery pack.

The best feature about it is it auto adjusts it's brightness, so when in close quarters or looking directly at the Oliver it won't blind you without having to touch it.

Randy

One Life Live It Enjoyably

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

2015 Oliver Elite II Hull #69

They have both.

Happy Camping,

null

We did have a bear attack our Ollie on a dark night in North Georgia.  He was pushing on the door which rocked the trailer, and then he ripped the fridge access panel off the trailer.  I turned on the scare lights and yelled through my bedroom window and he left.  It was pretty traumatic.  I don't believe a flashlight would have been useful because I was not about to open the door.  That said I have a headlamp with 1000 lumens powered by2 LI 18650 batteries.  Love it.

• Thanks 2

Current 2007 Airstream Classic Limited 31

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II (Sold)

2016 Ram 2500 HD 6.7i Cummins turbo diesel

I started looking at flashlights for the Ollie and even talked with Jason about giving me a charge port by the door, but at least in the past, I’ve found that there just aren’t any occasions where I find a flashlight more useful than a headlamp. I have a Petzl Nao which I got for bike riding and I think it works really well for camp. The auto adjusting beam works as advertised, which has proved really useful when tent camping, and the brightness and battery life are both more than I need in camp. I’m just going to have a set of hooks and maybe a storage net by the front door where we’ll stash the headlamps, keys, etc. I’m sure that the habits we’ve picked up while tent camping will change once we get the Ollie. So we might find that having the porch lights and maybe some other awning lights means that putting on a headlamp to go to the truck or to investigate some noise will prove more trouble than just grabbing a flashlight. So at the end of the day I still might spring for a couple flashlights, if nothing else just so I know that there’s one stashed around in both the truck and trailer. The one I had picked out is the Nitecore MH12, which at the time I was looking at them seemed like good compromise of brightness, throw, battery life, etc. I’ll definitely check out the ones mentioned here though. Buzzy, that’s quite a headlamp. I’d be worried that I’d burn a hole in the Ollie or light the dog on fire with that thing,

The Petzel looks like a great light. Do you have to use the phone app or will it auto adjust without it?

Yvonne & Doug

Hull #223

We did have a bear attack our Ollie on a dark night in North Georgia. He was pushing on the door which rocked the trailer, and then he ripped the fridge access panel off the trailer. I turned on the scare lights and yelled through my bedroom window and he left. It was pretty traumatic. I don’t believe a flashlight would have been useful because I was not about to open the door. That said I have a headlamp with 1000 lumens powered by2 LI 18650 batteries. Love it.

Yep, I am with you! I am not going out there! We have never experienced a bear attack on our camper but we did see a soft sided camper get ripped to shreds once!  We carry grizzly bear pepper spray and an air horn in addition to a head light just as a precaution.

Yvonne

Yvonne & Doug

Hull #223

The Petzel looks like a great light. Do you have to use the phone app or will it auto adjust without it?

It works out of the box.  Mine is an older version that doesn't connect to the phone - instead, there's a PC/Mac app that you can use to change the settings if you want, but that's entirely optional.  I would think that the new version also works with that app, though the phone app looks like it allows you to do much more than the PC app.  If you aren't going to use a smartphone, I think you can still buy the older versions on Amazon, and they're a good bit less expensive.  They aren't as bright as the new version, but like I say, mine is more than bright enough for around camp.

• Thanks 1