Siphoning water & deep inside the storage compartment -

I tried to start an actual siphon to fill the water tank through the fresh water valve tonight and found that the fresh water inlet line does have pressure on it from the check valve not allowing it to work. So I cleaned out the trunk, pulled up the V- mat, and looked at the pipes. There is a hole cut in the floor under the mat but it didn't open up the whole area. The hole worked, but I figured that I would be pulling a door open.

Here it is looking in from the door

IMG_20170418_170842.thumb.jpg.884292171439499b14f2d8a9d7380b28.jpg

IMG_20170418_170927.thumb.jpg.1545ef27b76b1192e708cfd7b5e1a363.jpg

Then here's a view of the check valves and wall connection. Because the hole is so far from the door, the access is limited.

IMG_20170418_181718.thumb.jpg.cef2b6b154149480319cf93a4e29e790.jpg

The green and red arrows show the back side of this -

IMG_20170418_174749.thumb.jpg.a7759e6c8d7dc8477a91521b092d0fcf.jpg

So the red arrow points to the fresh water connection. I still have my siphon hose from the Casita and was hoping to gravity fill the tank with it. But it will still work fine on the back when I am pumping the water in by changing the valves and turning on the fresh water pump.

Here's a picture of my 3 hoses that I use for filling from National Forest water spigots or any faucet including my siphon valve and hose. This experiment may have failed but it was a needed step that we all were able to learn from :)

IMG_20170418_174200.thumb.jpg.029103e03973b75dc4ba29361de4f5dc.jpg

The siphon is a 1" clear poly flow hose with a Simple Siphon Big Gulp.

1" works great for all RV gravity feed systems but the 3/4" or less is all that's needed for the Oliver's waterpump system.

Also, you can see that I have used the quick disconnects throughout my system :)

Reed

• Thanks 1

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

Here’s a picture of my 3 hoses that I use for filling from National Forest water spigots or any faucet including my siphon valve and hose. This experiment may have failed but it was a needed step that we all were able to learn from ???? IMG_20170418_174200 The siphon is a 1″ clear poly flow hose with a Simple Siphon Big Gulp. 1″ works great for all RV gravity feed systems but the 3/4″ or less is all that’s needed for the Oliver’s waterpump system. Also, you can see that I have used the quick disconnects throughout my system ???? Reed
Thanks for all the pics. I understand the syphon setup. Please explain to me why you have two slightly different lengths of hose. I just brought home six feet of clear 3/4 reinforced hose to make a suction hose for filling from a bucket. If I attach the other end to my water bandit, shouldn't I be able to use the one hose for non threaded faucets too? I am new at this since I have been tenting for so long.....

41RAco%2BsbzL.jpg

I see you like those nifty ball bungees. I have so many lying around.... they really are versatile and you don't get grabbed by a sharp hook.

Thanks,

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

John, the 2 shorter hoses take the place of the bandit and are much easier to use without. At Yosemite, which is where everyone should try to hit this Spring, the faucets are about 30" off of the ground. The smaller pieces are 3/4" also and were left the over from another project. Together they were too long so the shorter piece slips up over the faucet and the end hangs down into my 8gallon wheeled tank at Yosemite and other parks with low faucets. Then some state parks here like Indian Grinding Rocks, which we go to after leaving Yosemite, have the faucets about 4ft off the ground so the longer works on those. I want just enough hose to hang into the tank, so both of my scraps have a use. You could just use your 6ft piece for the same thing. The bandit is weak walled and really needs to be hose clamped to any faucet or it will just blow off under very little pressure, where your 3/4" hose will fit tight over any faucet as is and you can max out the faucet without the fear of getting totally soaked like you will with the bandit.

I also have a bandit but I've only used it once and that was on a faucet with stripped threads on an adapter. All that you can use the bandit for is filling your tank slowly, you can't just hook it up to the city side thinking that it will hold while parked. Karen bought it this year just to have and I tried it once, but the hose works a lot better and will hold more pressure. You can use 1/2" PVC nipples to adapt your 3/4" hose to standard water hose like I did with the 3/4" x 2" nipple used on my 1" hose with the male hose adapter. But you will need a 1/2" by 2" threaded nipple or or a slip fitting adapter if they have one. I just walked into True Value and got everything there.

Happy Camping,

null

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Then, you're going to want to cut your 6ft piece off at the ground below the Oliver so that your siphon hose will be as short as possible. So you will have some scrap also :)

Yep, I love the bungee balls, I have 2 on each hose when in storage and 2 on the electrical cords also, then 2 more on the slinky.

One of the best inventions ever :)

Happy Camping,

null

Thanks Reed. It really is helpful for me to see pictures and learn about how Ollie works.  I was unfamiliar with the Simple Siphon Big Gulp so I googled it and found your video using it on the Casita. Loved it! You really have a knack for video ????

Yvonne

• Thanks 1

Yvonne & Doug

2017 Legacy Elite II, twin bed

Hull #223

2017 Ford F-250 Lariat, crew cab

I don’t understand what I’m looking at. I use the same hose for the city and fill the tank for the fresh water tank.

When I'm boondocking in the woods with no place to get city water and I have to hand carry water over to the trailer, I'm drawing water out of a bucket basically and getting it into the trailer using the auxiliary port on the back with the sureflow pump to put water back into the tank.

I tried to siphon water into the tank by setting the bucket on top of the bumper. Then feed it into the fresh water port but it didn't work.

Happy Camping,

null

Reed,

If I understand your set up for replenishing the fesh water tank whilst boondocking, there is no filter used prior to the tank. I am new to trailers, but is this an issue?

Thanks for all of your helpful info.

Terry

Legacy Elite I

ALCTDEFLGAKYMEMDMANHNJNYNCPARISCTNVTVAWV

Only if your putting in dirty water. We do have a good filter to use on bad water also but we never put bad water into the tank.

https://www.amazon.com/LIFESAVER-Expedition-Jerrycan-Water-Filter/dp/B019G8U952/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1492983573&sr=8-1&keywords=lifesaver+jerry+can

• Thanks 1

Happy Camping,

null

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Krista,

You are correct - there is NO gravity water feed on the Oliver.  However, this is not a bad thing.  No more lifting the pail, jug, bottle, etc. at eight pounds per gallon.  No more splashing the water all over your shoes and down the side of your camper.  No more trying to hit that little hole in the side of the camper.

With the Oliver you simply place the water at the back of the camper, put a short length of hose in it, attach the other end to the camper, turn the water pump to on and watch the water disappear into your fresh water tank.  In addition, if you are really out in the boonies and have a creek or lake near enough, you an simply draw the water directly into your tank without even filling the bucket.

I originally thought that not having the gravity feed would be a bad thing.  But, once you do it the Oliver way and watch people come over asking how you did that, I'm guessing that you will become a fan like I did.

Bill

• Thanks 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

This is one my hesitations about ordering an Oliver. Am I correct in stating that “as is” from the factory there is not a way to simply gravity fill the water tank? Krista

Yes, but it should not make you hesitate. You can easily suck water in using the main water pump. If that pump fails, it won't do you any good to gravity fill the tank since you could not use any of it. Lack of gravity filling is a plus, not a minus.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

If someone wanted to be able to syphon water in, you could replace the factory check valve on the fill line with a ball valve. Then you'd open the ball valve to syphon and close it to pressurize the system. Or you could open it to use the onboard pump to suck the water in and then close it.

• Thanks 1

John

"I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt."

LE2 #92 (sold),   Black Series HQ19   

If someone wanted to be able to syphon water in, you could replace the factory check valve on the fill line with a ball valve. Then you’d open the ball valve to syphon and close it to pressurize the system. Or you could open it to use the onboard pump to suck the water in and then close it.

I've filled ours about 6 times now with the pump and it works fine. It just adds one more step with the switching of the valves but it's simple and like Bill said, you never have to lift your water caddy if it's on wheels. The valve switching is easy to remember with the 4 valves because you just change each one :)

Happy Camping,

null

If someone wanted to be able to syphon water in, you could replace the factory check valve on the fill line with a ball valve. Then you’d open the ball valve to syphon and close it to pressurize the system. Or you could open it to use the onboard pump to suck the water in and then close it.

I’ve filled ours about 6 times now with the pump and it works fine. It just adds one more step with the switching of the valves but it’s simple and like Bill said, you never have to lift your water caddy if it’s on wheels. The valve switching is easy to remember with the 4 valves because you just change each one ????

Reed,

Pumping it in really does make more sense than pouring or syphoning. And after seeing yours in operation, I see how easy it is. An excellent system for when we are not connected to pressure water. Good job Oliver!

• Thanks 2

John

"I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt."

LE2 #92 (sold),   Black Series HQ19   

Yes it does work fine but it uses battery power and even with the Solar, I end up running the generator every other day when deep in a canyon. I'd rather have a choice myself to conserve my batteries for other things. As is, I've hit 12.1 vdc a few times and 12.3vdc or less every day in Yosemite. Gravity is free & simple.

Happy Camping,

null