Dissimilar Metals

I am in the process of installing a Tire Pressure Monitoring System on my trailer and truck.  There is lots of chatter on the forums reccomending the installation of metal valve stems.  Some say the TPMS on the top of the valve core extends the TPMS out enough to possibly damaging the stem when coming too close to curbs, so reduce the damage by changing from rubber to metal stems. However, there is equal chatter reccomending not installing metal stems because of the chemical  reaction of dissimilar metals.  Some say it is rust from salt on the roads. Several say that once the reaction begins to occur, removing the TPMS to put more air in is difficult  and may damage the TPMS and/or the stem. No matter, it gives me pause to change out the rubber stems to metal ones.

What say you???

My TPMS instruction manual said "We recommend using a little Anti - Seize Thread Lubricant on the valve stem to prevent corrosion do [sic] to dissimilar metals. You can purchase the Anti-Seize Lubricant at most auto parts stores."

I bought this from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002UEOLO/

• Thanks 2

David Stillman, Salt Lake City, Utah

2016 Oliver Elite II  Hull 164    |    2017 Audi Q7 tow vehicle. 

Travel and Photography Blog: http://davidstravels.net

Do you use metal or rubber stems? Any problems with either? thanks

The valve stems are the ones that came with the Oliver tires. Does that answer your question?

I just completed the installation of a TPMS for our trailer; the valve steams were replaced with metal rated for 200 PSI.  This fall when we secure the trailer for the winter, I will remove the sensors and power down the signal booster.  So far we have no road experience with the TPMS installed, but a trip is planed in the near future.

Horace & Dianne

Chesapeake, Virginia

2016 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4 Limited

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull # 93

I had metal stems installed when we got the TPMS last summer. I also had the tires rebalanced. No issues so far. TPMS works fine. Mike

Now there's a question that I haven't seen yet. Does Oliver balance the tires?

Mike, did they need to rebalance them? Or, what did the tire company say?

That could be part of our cabinet issue if they were out a lot :)

I balanced the tires on my Casita but it never came to mind until now that ours may not have come balanced from the factory.

• Thanks 1

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

• Moderator+

I do not believe the tires are balanced prior to delivery.  During a recent visit to the factory, I met an owner just picking up his trailer and he took the tires off and had them balanced prior to leaving.

• Thanks 2

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

When we picked up our Elite II on September 1, 2015 the tires had been balanced.  Also I had them balanced when the metal valve steams were installed for the TPMS.

• Thanks 2

Horace & Dianne

Chesapeake, Virginia

2016 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4 Limited

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull # 93

• Moderators

Now there’s a question that I haven’t seen yet. Does Oliver balance the tires? Mike, did they need to rebalance them? Or, what did the tire company say? That could be part of our cabinet issue if they were out a lot ???? I balanced the tires on my Casita but it never came to mind until now that ours may not have come balanced from the factory.

Reed, I had them balanced because of the extra weight of the stems and TPMS sensors.  It's not a lot of weight, but they had them off the trailer anyway and it seemed prudent.  Mike

• Thanks 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

We are picking up this week and after reading this thread, I asked Anita if the wheels were already balanced.  This was her reply:  "The tires are ordered and already mounted for us. I do not believe that company balances them. You would need to do that. "

Yvonne

Yvonne & Doug

2017 Legacy Elite II, twin bed

Hull #223

2017 Ford F-250 Lariat, crew cab

• Moderators

When we ordered our tpms, the company recommended metal stems and rebalancing, so that's what we did, many years ago. It does change the weight distribution. Tire balancing with new tire mount to rim is pretty standard, anymore, but how good it is depends as much on the tech as the balancing machine.

Oliver wouldn't balance the tires. That would be the responsibility of the company that mounts the tires to the wheels.

Unfortunately, unlike tires on your truck, it's really not possible to feel that vibration of an unbalanced tire. But you may see the signs, later.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

I got the EEZ TPMS because the got excellent reviews, and also because they are lightweight and the wheels don't need rebalancing. But now I do need to balance my wheels.

My question is about stems. Should I use this opportunity to put in metal stems? What is the difference from what came with the wheel?

Thanks.

• Moderators

Dave, from what I read, eez also "recommends" metal stems. I don't know what came on your trailer, but if you are dismounting the wheels anyway, now's the time to can get to metal. But, that means busting the tire, and another charge, likely.

My tire guys charge the same for metal or not, with new tires. Not likely the same if you are just rebalancing. Best off to contact the manufacturer of your tpms to see if you need new stems, or not.

Sherry

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Metal stems are rated for higher pressure and they won't deteriorate as much in the sun.  Later, they can take a flying rock hit better than rubber ones while off road.  But to say that the TPMS would be better on metal stems if you hit a curb (as Hardrock mentioned, seems like a stretch.    As far as dissimilar metals is concerned, I doubt that is a real problem.  But since the metal stems seal with an O ring against an aluminum wheel, it wouldn't hurt to put something on the sealing surface.  Silicone or silicone grease, or a dab of teflon paste would be fine.  Not so sure about anti-seize as it's designed for a different problem (it prevents rust and galling on bolt threads, and some galvanic corrosion if it's the right formula), and there are different formulas for different applications.  Anything to keep water away from the two metals and the sealing surface will help if it is a real problem.  But really, I've used metal stems for a long time and never thought about this "issue" before and I've never had any problems with them.   I don't think it's an issue.  You also have dissimilar metals where the wheel touches the iron hub and where the lug nuts tighten into tapered holes in the wheel.  Never a problem there.  You also have a steel and chrome plated center hub cover that is in contact with the aluminum wheel all the time and exposed to moisture.  Never a problem there either.

• Thanks 2

John

"I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt."

LE2 #92 (sold),   Black Series HQ19   

• 4 years later...

Are the valve stems on Olivers recessed into a cavity in the aluminum rim? That's the way our current trailer rims are and they require a special metal valve stem that will fit down into that recess.

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg