LAPTOP STUFF

mountainborn

• Moderators

It started off with a simple neoprene sleve to protect the laptop. But there was no place to carry the power cord with it, occasionally it was misplaced, causing a camping trip time consuming, search. A bag to hold the laptop and stuff was in order. As time goes by, the bag seems to be getting heavier, with manuals, pens, pencils, cords, adapters, jump drive, memory card, mouse & pad, ect, ect..

So, here is some of the stuff we carry as the laptop becomes more and more of a traveling necessity:

>

03-31-08_1223.jpg

>

Tell us please about the stuff in your laptop kit and if it works well for you, or not. Your advice could save us from a time consuming mistake !

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

• Moderators

List of stuff in our laptop bag :

>

Microsoft laptop wireless mouse: The best thing since sliced bread, it takes the "mind of it's own", jumps and leaps out of a vista main operating system laptop. It is optical instead of ball, and operates on surfaces that a ball mouse won't.

Jumpdrive or flash memory drive: Great for moving files quickly, from one machine to another, it is small and powerful.

Micro SD card, 1 Gig with adapter sleve : It fits the cell phone and so many other devices, that it may be our most used device. Plugs into the laptop slot for photo transfer.

Vector 100 watt inverter : Small and convenient, but has limited power available. For a complete charge while overnighting we use a 200 watt permanently installed under the dinette.

Mouse pad : You just never know what type of surface you may be trying to operate on because of the laptop's portability.

Additions planned : A USB Antenna for the Microsoft trips and streets GPS program. It should be here any day now, we eBayed one.

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

Hi,

I like your pictures. I have a Targus for my laptop. (Model TLE 400). It is like a briefcase and even holds the laptop in its sleeve. It also has 3 other zippered compartments. I got it specifically because I need all the stuff such as a wireless mouse as well as charging cord and helps me keep things together. I especially need help in the "keeping together" department.

:roll:

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

Navigating with your laptop ? We enjoy ours because the much larger screen than a dashboard nav unit. But that larger screen comes with a couple of draw backs. Possible vision obscurement and takes up more room in the interior. Here is what ours looks like when we are ready to go down the road with it nagging about, "YOU ARE OFF ROUTE, RECALCULATING":

05-27-08_0931.jpg

The wireless mouse makes operation simpler for who ever is navigating at the time. :D It sits on one of those "sticky" pads untill needed, then we just put it on a pants leg to operate it. :o

In this look from the driver's side you can see the GPS antenna for the Microsoft Streets & Trips on the dashboard.

05-27-08_0932.jpg

• Moderators

Hey, Chuck ! I just did a quick search on eBay, for "laptop mount" and got about 200 returns.

http://search.ebay.com/laptop-mount_W0QQcatrefZC6QQdfspZ32QQfromZR40QQfrtsZ50QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQsabfmtsZ1QQsacatZQ2d1QQsaobfmtsZinsif That is where I found ours. We gave a bit more for a RAM Line mount that bolted to the seat bolts and required no drilling. It is a very stable platform that can be expanded to hold other computer related items. It also has a quick disconnect feature so it can be quickly removed for convenience.

After installing the quick disconnect, the mount had a small amount of "slack" and we put a tarp strap over the top arm and back to the seat bracket. Now, that hillbilly engineering sounds bad, but works well and it is not visible or in the way. It also means that the adjusting knobs can be left slightly loose so that the laptop may be swiveled around quickly, for consulting between driver and navigator, but will stay in place because of the tension provided by the tarp strap.

DISCLAIMER: :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Do not try this "swiveling" activity at home or in your automobile ! This extreme "stunt" is performed by highly skilled and trained professionals and is never, never, well, almost never, done while the vehicle is moving. :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

We tend to travel early and late, during hours of darkness, and thought that a small led light to read maps, ect., with might be in order. That way the main interior lights would not be on, reducing the drivers night vision. We found and purchased a USB light that "spot" illuminates the laptop keyboard and can used as a desktop to check written material. Found one on EbAY, $4. shipping and all ! Another thing to put in the ever bulging laptop bag !! Here is a video clip of a pre dawn boot up and getting ready to hit the road:

th_06-25-08_0423USBlight.jpg