Do hoses and gear stored inside the bumper get worn by chafing...?

John E Davies

....against the raised diamond plate pattern? Some diamond plate is extremely sharp, some not so much.

Does anybody use a sheet of rubber or else store smaller stuff in duffle bags to prevent wear? It seems as if a duffle would certainly keep stuff a lot cleaner.

What say you? Pictures?

Thanks.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

We carry the two Oliver supplied 10' hoses in the bumper with a 4" clear section attached to one hose.  I will replace these hoses with better quality hoses when they show some wear.  So far, after about 13K miles, they still look pretty good.  I don't think the diamond plate has caused any excessive wear.  Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

It's not a heavily serrated diamond plate but rubber like the V- mat would work. If you ask Oliver, I'm sure they would cut a piece for you.

IMG_20170426_185051.thumb.jpg.c522b11f4082fdcde0cbde90219e20d1.jpg

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

• Moderators

One of the early Oliver owners, Chuck, brought that concern up on the forum.  It sounded plausible, so I went to Home Depot and purchased a generic, thin multipurpose industrial rug and cut it to line the entire bottom of that space.  No chafing opportunities here.  The last thing I desired was leakage of the icky stuff.

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

• Moderators

Good question. Back in the day, we carried the stinky slinky in a giant ziplock in the trunk. ( One of those 15 gallon or whatever size designed for quilt storage...). The ziplock eventually wore a hole, no surprise.

Shortly after, we installed the macerator system. That hose is much stiffer plastic, with more reinfrcement, along with the other constant maintenance issues that come with a macerator system....

The diamond plate in the trunk isn't sharp, but a length of heavy shelf liner could give you added peace of mind...

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Thanks for the comments. Rather than inserting a liner that would trap water and road grit underneath, I will try squishy duffles first and see how they hold up. I went by the thrift store and came home with two used ones (in new condition) for $5. I can't see spending much on brand new ones since they will get beat up pretty fast.

Those of you that put in a liner, do you take it out periodically to clean underneath? I would worry about long term corrosion... especially in winter months.

BTW since I ordered the composting head, I won't be carrying a big stinky hose at all, just a couple of 1 inch ID fold-flat waste discharge hoses for gray water and an 18 inch length of 3/4 rigid hose for dumping directly into a bucket, and those are compact enough for a single 24 inch long duffle, no sweat. I'm not yet sure what else will ride in there. I'm going to carry the fresh water hoses and adapters inside the hull, in a plastic bin, to prevent cross contamination.

Any ideas on what else would be OK to transport in there? Maybe some 1 ft square pieces of 3/4 CDX or rubber horse stall mat for under the jacks? Welcome mat for outside the entry? Folded tarps? Nothing illegal!

Finally, how wet does it get in there when towing on soaked roads? Can it be sealed up better?

John Davies

Spokane Wa

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.