Losing precious fresh water out the vent on rough roads?

John E Davies

Reed mentioned in a new thread that he had lost 20% of his water out the vent while on rough roads. This can happen in other RVs but I would expect that a well designed vent system in an Oliver would not let this happen. Have other Oliver owners experienced this?

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/26621948/print/true.cfm

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/fresh-water-tank-vent-leaking-147144.html#post1417961

I haven't been able to find a pic of the vent design, it is not shown on the plumbing schenatic in the Owners Manual. Does it go straight down after coming out the top of the tank? Does the pipe extend down into the tank, which will cause a siphon to be started when water sloshes?

This is an unacceptable situation for me if it is common, since I plan to dry camp often with no water source for refilling a tank. Any ideas on how it could be easily corrected? Besides "do not drive on rough roads."

I have read that a significant amount of the capacity is unusable due to the low and flat design, having another five or six gallons slosh out on the drive to a site would make me very mad....

Also, there risk of drawing in outside dust from the vent. Would a solution to this situation be a raised vent pipe with an exterior filter? I would not care if water vented down the outside of the trailer when filling the tank, if it stopped any water loss during travel. Or you could add a selector valve so normal water overflow during filling was through the existing pipe, and you could switch to a high filtered outside air vent for travel.

Comments and ideas are welcome.

Thanks.

John Davies

Spojane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

John, here's a picture of the vent.  You can see that it makes a simple bend and exits in front of the wheel well.  I don't know what sort of screening is on it.  Until Reed mentioned it, I hadn't thought about losing water, but as part of my effort to make the lower hull more water tight, I had planned to make some sort of cap for the vent to prevent possible contamination in the case of a water crossing, and/or perhaps moving it to a higher location on the side wall.  You could also potentially lengthen the hose to give it a deeper bend.

vmt2igmibs8le2wdtebt1nq1lvotqw8c.thumb.jpg.1f833498c364bedfb6e4fb5235e101b4.jpg

• Thanks 4

John Davies:  Don't know if you have adequate access to space, but if the problem is siphoning, one possible solution is installation of a siphon break.  Would need to be installed at the high point of the loop of hose and above the height of the open-to-air vent.   Forespar vented loop part # 903008 (1/2") or 903003 (5/8").  Available from Defender marine supply, info@defender.com, 800-628-8225.  Please let us all know how you solve the problem.  SailorsAshore

• Thanks 1

The vent is there to keep it from getting pressurized also, I wouldn't plug it ever. It works fine and putting more water in is simple.  I was surprised to see it myself but still we didn't need to fill up until yesterday after we showered. I made 2 trips to the water pipe with our 8 gallon tote and it was 100% full. These are nasty mountain roads and we even blocked the drawers closed to keep everything in place before we started out. If you think that you're going to need more water, then just take it with you in 15 gallon drums... I'd rather have water loss then ruptured tanks and we had about 8000 feet of elevation changes. It was full when we started and on that road 20% is a number that I can live with. It won't happen every day. That's the most that we have lost.

Don't sweat the small stuff :)

• Thanks 1

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

For most people and most trips it shouldn't be an issue, but if you arrive in the middle of nowhere with a day's less water than you'd planned, then John is correct - it would be a big deal.  That's pretty much our reserve when we camp.  Capping or plugging the vent likewise shouldn't be a problem in most situations, but it is something to keep in mind if you're someplace with large temperature swings, in which case you might want to make sure that you vent it once or twice a day as you would with unvented fuel cans.  I suppose leaving a tap open would accomplish the same thing.

From Bill's pic is looks like a plug might do the trick, maybe fixed with a chain so that it isn't lost.  I don't see a screen at all - all the more reason to filter your drinking water I suppose.

We don't tow on rough terrain, but this is an interesting question John has asked.

More questions, could a low pressure (.5 to 1 pound cracking pressure) adjustable relief valve be threaded into some type of plug placed in the vent outlet only when towing on rough terrain? Hopefully this would not create too much tank pressure?

Bill #75 LE2

• Moderators

Very good question. I've seen the effect of altitude change on water bottles, sealed bags, etc... Wouldn't want to impact the freshwater tank.

We have the forespar duckbill valves installed on our waste tanks on our boat. So far, so good. (;A friend helped install a valve awhile back, and dropped just the duckbill, which rolled into a space never to be found. Forespar was very helpful in replacing just that bit.)

Customer service guys at forespar are excellent. Maybe give them a call? They might give you some ideas. They're in California, so take the time zone into consideration....

I'm good with what we have, since we carry two to five five gallon containers with us in the truck bed, but I can certainly appreciate the water range anxiety. Sometimes, replenishment isn't easy. Been there, done that, hence, water carriers in the truck bed.

Sherry

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

That overflow hose is just forward of the sink cabinet.  If you could reach it and extend it up under the sink with a vented loop, as high as you could, under the sink, and then back down to the outside it would make a big difference.  Maybe it can be reached through the outside louver behind the refrigerator.   Plugging it is a bad idea because sooner or later you'll forget the plug and pressurize the tank. Also, if it had a spring check valve at the outlet no dirt or bugs could ever go back up the pipe to the tank and the vented loop would let in air to allow the tank to drain.  The vented loop is simple sailboat hardware.  Adding a vacuum breaker to the loop would make sure no water ever burped out of the loop.

I haven't noticed any loss of water, but I guess it might be worth a test.  Fill the tank completely, go on a rough road, and before using any water, re-fill the tank to see what was lost.  That vent system shown in the picture looks like it would allow some loss.

• Thanks 2

John

"I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt."

LE2 #92 (sold),   Black Series HQ19   

Maybe it can be reached through the outside louver behind the refrigerator.

The floor in the fridge area is solid front to back, there is no access to below area. So I would not recommend dismantling how well sealed that area is for proper fridge heat venting and isolation.

You can cut an access hole in the bottom of the kitchen drawer area all the way to the left about 6" back. This is actually a good idea as that is where everything under there passes by water, heat, propane, electrical, etc.

id14z6t9l7iga8cc9535555afyf5hrop.thumb.jpg.43dc1f2364abf66741cdd95c531364b6.jpg

• Thanks 1

Randy

One Life Live It Enjoyably

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

2015 Oliver Elite II Hull #69

Maybe it can be reached through the outside louver behind the refrigerator.

The floor in the fridge area is solid front to back, there is no access to below area. So I would not recommend dismantling how well sealed that area is for proper fridge heat venting and isolation. You can cut an access hole in the bottom of the kitchen drawer area all the way to the left about 6″ back. This is actually a good idea as that is where everything under there passes by water, heat, propane, electrical, etc. 

Fine ideas!

Bill #75 LE2

The floor in the fridge area is solid front to back, there is no access to below area. So I would not recommend dismantling how well sealed that area is for proper fridge heat venting and isolation. You can cut an access hole in the bottom of the kitchen drawer area all the way to the left about 6″ back. This is actually a good idea as that is where everything under there passes by water, heat, propane, electrical, etc.

id14z6t9l7iga8cc9535555afyf5hrop.thumb.jpg.0b8dbf69f597d7f6f6c6ddeacdeeb92a.jpg

Not a bad idea at all to have that access panel.  I'm curious where that photo was taken.  Do you have a team of camera equipped mice working for you?

• Thanks 1