Lodging around Howenwald and westward: recommendations please

John E Davies

We will be coming in from the West through Dyersberg and will be needing a motel or quiet B&B to stay on Sunday night, prior to taking delivery on Monday May 15.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Dyersburg,+TN/Hohenwald,+TN/@35.7271351,-89.0017795,9z/data=!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x887929b40a4deaa9:0x3659044b67c3c572!2m2!1d-89.3856281!2d36.0345159!1m5!1m1!1s0x887cb566fbeef5f3:0xc7adb44e4de67696!2m2!1d-87.5519628!2d35.5478513!3e0?hl=en

Any recommendations? After 2200 miles in six days we will be road weary.

It doesn't appear that the Howenwald motels are very well rated. We do not want a 40 year old low end place on a busy road. Any comments on this B&B? It is a cabin on the Buffalo River south of town. Quiet is probably a good description.

https://www.facebook.com/RiversideAntiquesAndBedBreakfast/

Anywhere within two hours drive from town, to the west, would be fine. Under $100 only, lower is better... Thanks for any recommendations.

After Sunday night, we have lodging pretty well covered ;)

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Can't recommend a place, as I didn't order mine, but you know John, we are going to need a full report!

What an exciting trip!  Have fun!

John

"I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt."

LE2 #92 (sold),   Black Series HQ19   

I ran into the same dilemma when I brought my Ollie to the factory for an upgrade..... the options are few and far between- I didn't even venture into the parking lot of the options in Hoenwald.  I ended up picking the Commodore Inn in Linden, about 1/2 hour west of the factory, based on the reviews on Trip Advisor. It was clean, but VERY dated, and kind of like staying in the spare bedroom of that very first  fixer upper house you bought when you were younger...????.

• Thanks 1

GrayGhost

2015 Legacy Elite II Hull # 98

2020 F150 3.5 EcoBoost

• Moderator+

The Commodore may be your best bet. We  stayed there one night several years back for some reason or other. Believe it was about $90 or so. It is a very old downtown hotel. It was clean, quaint, quiet  and about 30 something miles from the Oliver factory . The motel in Hohenwald is very basic but there is nothing wrong with it although it will still cost you $60 or $70. I guess it depends on which is more important, price or distance.

• Thanks 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderators

I'll second ScubaRx's comments regarding the motel in Hohenwald.  The beds are not too bad and it was fairly quiet.  The last time we were at Fall Hollow they didn't have our reservation and there was no room.  However, even though we didn't eat there it sure did smell good.  But, I don't think that they are open for meals on Sunday's and Monday's.

Have a safe trip and we look forward to all those photos.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

We stayed at the Commodore in Linden when we visited the factory last fall.  Funky & fun.  Where else can you take a pic beside a bigger than life bronze statue of Minnie Pearl?  Just down the block is a shop that sells good organic sandwiches and,  just in case you are low, ammunition.  SailorsAshore

• Thanks 1

We have stayed at Fall Hollow several times. Nothing real fancy but great folks, nice clean rooms which come with a full breakfast. The restaurant is open Thursday, Friday, Saturday for dinner and Sunday lunch till about 3:00. Great steaks and probably one of the best hamburgers that I have had! Everything else is very good as well. This is the campground that Oliver will set you up in for one night. We stayed a week to fully check out our new Oliver. This is our first ever camper so more for us to get used to and understand it than anything else. Only had one insignificant adjustment on our way out of town.

• Thanks 1

2017 Elite II, Hull #208

2019 Chevy HD 2500 Duramax

• Moderators

Howenwald, for a small town, is very hospitable, and we think, quite fun.

We've stayed in the "hotel" style room at Fall Hollow, and it was clean, quiet, and nice linens. These are at the back of the restaurant.

The house is pretty, and back in the woods. Price is higher, and not available when we stayed, but I have to tell you, Neil makes a great breakfast, included in the price. And, I'm not a breakfast lover... The couple who now own fall hollow are really nice, engaging people, and he is an awesome cook.

We've stayed at the brick motel in town once. Not too noisy, bed was ok, but nothing special. The other motel, from what I have heard, is a bit run down, if still open, but accepted pets....

Ask Anita about the cabin on the Buffalo river. She may know someone there.

Sherry

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

We stayed at there Fall Hollow rooms, once when the original owners had it and once when the present owners bought it. The last time they let us have the run of the kitchen to heat our dinner that we brought along. I think this was right after they bought it and the restaurant was not open yet. A good place to stay in my book.

Stan

• Thanks 1

Stan and Carol

Blacksburg, VA

2014 Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi

2014 Legacy Elite II Standard  Hull 63

We ended up staying Thursday night at the Commodore Inn in Linden because our camper had a problem that took awhile to troubleshoot and fix.  Our suite was clean and confortable. It had a kitchenette and they allowed our pups. Don't know the price, Oliver paid for our stay.

• Thanks 1

Yvonne & Doug

2017 Legacy Elite II, twin bed

Hull #223

2017 Ford F-250 Lariat, crew cab

• Moderators

We stayed at the Natchez Hills Winery B&B.  They have two small buildings, one is a real 1800's log cabin, which is where we stayed.  Breakfast is served in the owners home.  It was very nice.  Amber Falls Winery also has some lodging that we noticed during a visit there.

We also stayed in the Fall Hollow B&B for two nights.  Very basic, but clean and convenient.  The breakfast that is provided is so good we weren't hungry until late afternoon.

Mike

• Thanks 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

We stayed at the Fall Hollow Bed and Breakfast but we had our Shih Tzu and found out after the fact....dogs were not allowed. He didn't kick us out (it was late).  His breakfast was good.  We have also stayed at The Commodore when we had some work done on the Ollie.  We enjoyed it.  It was clean and quaint.  They allow pets.  Not sure the price, Oliver paid the same bill.

• Thanks 1

Thanks so much for the many comments. I think we will stop at Jackson on I40, since it swarms with mainstream lodging. Expedia shows 71, starting at $34! I am a little stunned by the low prices. Maybe there are rats? ;) More likely bedbugs.... We will look for something in the $60 to $80 range.

That will give us an easy 90 minute drive the next morning to Howenwald. Maybe if we need to sleep outside the trailer one night later on in the week, for repairs, we will try a local place.

Thanks again.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

The Commodore and the whole town of Linden was quiet. We parked right out front, slept great, the bed was just a touch stiff, and there's plenty of restaurants on the way. It made for an easy half hour drive to the factory. Lots of history in the area. Anita set us up with the Commodore. No bed bugs, no problems.

• Thanks 1

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

The Natchez Trcace Campground has cabins for rent. They range from cheap rustic to well appointed, more $$. It is quite near Hohenwald.

Is this the one you mean? If so, their website is down and their Facebook page has pretty damning reviews about all the best spots already taken by full timers, and deteriorated infrastructure - crumbling roads and unrepaired facilities. ... https://www.facebook.com/pages/1000-Trails-Natchez-Trace-Wilderness-Preserve/220456981339799

Have you been there recently? Is it any better? The Google Streetview images are from back in 2008 and it looks like a slum. It does not look very promising to me, if I have the right RV park....

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.4359206,-87.4754997,3a,75y,90.73h,75t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sEJK0CpnW5ixLx0XKBdskDQ!2e0!7i3328!8i1664

13895066_1651352755109273_63394193692031

John Davies

Spokane WA