Fiamma Gasket

I am getting ready for my Spring wash and wax and had a question about that full length white gasket under the Fiamma awning. First off, it's a real dirt, moss, and pine needle trap.  I have to keep my Ollie out in the open, and this area is a real pain to keep clean. So I am wondering, is it really necessary to have it there? Yes, if it's raining and you are under the awning, water will run down the side of the trailer but is that really a problem? Just trying to figure out its purpose as I'm ready to pull it off for better air and debris circulation in that area.

Also has anyone tried using the white 3M cleansing pads for the wash. They are the least abrasive of all the woven pads (in fact these are virtually non abrasive). They seem to cut the crud really well with no scratching of the gel coat.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EW7M5S2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks,

Dave

2015 Oliver Elite, Hull 107

1998 Ford E-250, 5.4 liter

• Moderators

Dave, is the new gasket below the awning? On our older trailer, it's above, I can't see it, and spits don't bother me (much).

Sherry

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

It was a good idea, but I found the dry southwestern air can dry it out and cause it to crack pretty bad.  So mine has been totally removed and now I have about an inch between the Ollie and the Fiamma.  It is much easier to keep clean and polished this way.  I primarily use the awning to control the sun's heat on the side of the trailer.  I might sit outside during a gentle sprinkle but when the frogs are choking, I head inside and a lack of the rubber strip is not important.

• Thanks 2

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

• Moderators

Dave, I found the same thing when I was doing some cleaning last week before we left on our "Rally Trip".  It was a real pain cleaning the collected debris off of the gasket.  During heavy rain that gasket does not stop water flow.  The water flows under the awning and over the gasket.  I'm not sure what its purpose is.  I may do what Pete did and just remove it.  Mike

• Thanks 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Ours keeps most of the water out and gives us a dry area by the door under the awning for an entry. It's nice not having streams of water raining off of the roof on us and that's its basic purpose for what it is and it has worked good so far. In light rain it works fine and we haven't had it out in any real heavy rains yet.

• Thanks 3

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

Thanks for replies everyone.

Sherry, the Fiamma awning sits right on top of the gasket. It really traps a lot of debris and I think I'm going to remove it.

We'll see how it works out....

Dave

2015 Oliver Elite, Hull 107

1998 Ford E-250, 5.4 liter