Toyota tundra electronic brake controller

dedroll

Hello I will be towing an Oliver Elite 2 with a Tundra, it has the tow package but I have to purchase the brake controller!? Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should purchase?

David and Jane Droll,  Pulling Hull #238 with a 2018 Toyota Tundra 

We towed our Bigfoot with a Tundra and I think our controller was a Prodgey. Don't remember the model number but it worked well. My best advice regardless of the controller you choose is not to let them mount it where it will interfer with your driving. They mounted ours on the lower right side of the driverside below the steering wheel. I am short and have to sit close to the steering wheel. I could not comfotably drive my husbands truck after the controller was installed because I kept hitting my knee on it!

Yvonne

• Thanks 1

Yvonne & Doug

2017 Legacy Elite II, twin bed

Hull #223

2017 Ford F-250 Lariat, crew cab

I have a 2015 and I would like to install it myself. The videos show that I have a plug in behind the panel. I know nothing about the brands so I will check out this link. thanks

I have a 2015 and I would like to install it myself. The videos show that I have a plug in behind the panel. I know nothing about the brands so I will check out this link. thanks

It should be dead simple, plug and play, if you buy the Tekonsha Toyota adapter harness. Definitely pick a spot away from your knees. In the event of a collision it will rip open your leg otherwise. The P3 needs to be aligned parallel to the centerline of the truck, but it does NOT need to be horizontal, like the older units.

It is a great controller for the price, and thus very popular. Shop around since prices vary wildly.

You also need this tester. It is the only device that will functionally test your electronic controller without having a trailer attached, a great investment for peace of mind that your truck is ready to tow. ... https://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-6562-Trailer-Emulator-Display/dp/B004BCA9B8

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Here's the Tekonsha Prodgey  P3 Brake Controller link at E-Trailer. We have a Toyota factory controller in our 2016 Tundra, many people like the P3 controller. This link should have the plug and play cable included, too.  The folks at E-Trailer are very helpful when you have questions about installing the brake controller.

https://www.etrailer.com/multi-product.aspx?pc1=90195&pc2=3017-P&hhmake=Toyota&hhmodel=Tundra&hhyear=2015&vehicleid=201528688&hunter=bc

Hope this helps!

• Thanks 2

Bill #75 LE2

I have the P3 and it works great. I had mine installed inside the center console below the arm rest hatch. So it's easy to get to anytime on or off road by just flipping open the armrest door. This way it's out of sight but still totally accessible.

• Thanks 2

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

I have a Drawtite, Activator III on my 2014 Tundra and I am currently pulling a 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe. Mounted under the steereing wheel just to the right. I had mine professionally installed. It works fine and I would suppose it will work fine pulling my Legacy Elite II when I pick it up from the factory next month.

• Thanks 2

Cash - AKA Sitting Bull

http://www.shot-in-texas.com

I have a Drawtite, Activator III on my 2014 Tundra and I am currently pulling a 17′ Casita Spirit Deluxe. Mounted under the steereing wheel just to the right. I had mine professionally installed. It works fine and I would suppose it will work fine pulling my Legacy Elite II when I pick it up from the factory next month.

The Ollie has great towing manners and braking manners. Believe the Drawtite unit would work fine.

When we picked up our Ollie in MO, had to take a detour in the mountains on the way home to North Carolina. A vehicle pulled out in front of us forcing an emergency stop. The brake controller on the Nissan Frontier TV, was a basic Tekonsha unit and set the controller up with the Ollie before heading home from MO. Very impressed with the Ollie's brakes during an emergency stop.

Congrats on your new Ollie, hope we can see many photos when y'all pick it up!!!!!

• Thanks 1

Bill #75 LE2

• 1 month later...

we pick up our "Drolliver" July 19th, I will get both the tekonsha brake controller and the tester, thanks for all the input.