Shore power cord and receptacle

Is this similar to what comes on the side of the trailer?

https://www.ecmarinesupply.com/products/furrion-30a-stainless-steel-round-inlet-w-powersmart-led?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlepla&variant=37655374730

I want to buy an adapter to plug a 20 amp generator directly into the side of the trailer. What do you folks use? I assume the far end has the locking marine connector, do you just use a 10awg, 15 amp adapter and HD 15 amp extension cord? It should be OK plugged into a 20 amp generator receptacle, or do I need a complete custom 20 amp cable?

Can someone post closeup pics of the cord and also the inside of the receptacle cavity, cover open?

I don't want to order the wrong type cord.

Thanks.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Thanks for the comments.

When using a 2400 watt generator, I want to be able to keep my bulky and expen$ive 30 amp shore power cable secured away from sight, and instead use a heavy conventional extension cord with an 18 inch pigtail adapter at the trailer. I don't want a heavy cable hanging off the generator from a small adapter as pictured above.

Does that make sense? What adapters, if any, usually come with the trailer besides the cable?

I am unlikely to use this setup except for running the air conditioning or charging on cloudy days. Not both simultaneously.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Thanks for the comments. When using a 2400 watt generator, I want to be able to keep my bulky and expen$ive 30 amp shore power cable secured away from sight, and instead use a heavy conventional extension cord with an 18 inch pigtail adapter at the trailer. I don’t want a heavy cable hanging off the generator from a small adapter as pictured above. Does that make sense? What adapters, if any, usually come with the trailer besides the cable? I am unlikely to use this setup except for running the air conditioning or charging on cloudy days. Not both simultaneously. John Davies Spokane WA

You get the 15 amp adapter and the plug for the open ground. I suppose you're going to have to make your oun cord, with the locking 30 amp connector and the plug for the open ground. The 15 amp adapter won't plug directly into the trl.

STEVEnBETTY

Camping world sells a 30 amp locking connector to 15 amp plug that attaches directly to the camper, just plug in your extension cord. $33

Bingo! Any particular brand better than others?

45dcb2b7-828c-4ece-8b54-4fe3621e036d_1.b

Thanks,

John Davies

Spokane WA

You don't need a pigtail, just a long enough 20amp cord to reach the generator. They do provide a 30amp x 3' twistlock pigtail also when you buy the generator box for the front and this adapter works best for me. It's simply plug & play :)

Either plug it into the outlet and run a short cord or from the 3' pigtail - straight into the generator. Like you, I don't want my 25' cord to walk away.

https://www.amazon.com/ALEKO-L15-30-Electrical-Locking-Connector/dp/B01CO5FXJQ/ref=pd_sim_60_4?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01CO5FXJQ&pd_rd_r=C3Y05J7R70QWS2W94JKG&pd_rd_w=DMY8d&pd_rd_wg=f4pv8&psc=1&refRID=C3Y05J7R70QWS2W94JKG

IMG_20170426_183511.thumb.jpg.250426c543aa19b9a27f6771f79b20d7.jpg

• Thanks 2

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

• 4 weeks later...

Purchased the ALEKO 15A to 30A adapter plug for my Ollie.  While testing the Honda EU2000i Gen-Set with Micro-Air Easy Start 364 installed, it worked great running the Ollie's 13.5K Dometic AC at 86F outside air temp today.

Appreciate the ideas in this thread:

IMG_2710-L.jpg

• Thanks 1

LE2

Purchased the ALEKO 15A to 30A adapter plugIMG_2710-L.jpg

Do you worry about the cord stressing the adapter? That is a fair amount of weight hanging on the prongs, and if someone trips over the cord........ that would not be good!

I bought an 18 inch 10 AWG pigtail. It hangs down at about 45 degrees, has some flex for safety, and I am going to add a rubber open ended boot to act as a rain guard for the unshielded connection. I'll post a pic, sooner or later. It is way down on my current Honey Do List.

John Davies

Spokane WA

John,

Tested the plug with a 15A extension cord, not as heavy as the  the 30A Furrion shore power cord.  Leave slack in the cord and it can un-plug, unlike the Furrion cord. Will see how it works out.

The 45 degree down feature on your pigtail sounds like it will work well. Would like to see your set up, too.

LE2

<span style="line-height: 1.5;">Do you worry about the cord stressing the adapter? That is a fair amount of weight hanging on the prongs, and if someone trips over the cord…….. that would not be good! I bought an 18 inch 10 AWG pigtail. It hangs down at about 45 degrees, has some flex for safety... John Davies Spokane WA
</span>

No, there's no stress on the adapter, and if someone is lame enough to trip over any cord, it can do damage and bend prongs on any cord... The Aleko screws on to the outlet, then the extension cord simply plugs in. The Aleko is strong and basically becomes part of the trailer when screwed together to it... So we bought a good quality short adapter for $15.00 that works great.

https://www.amazon.com/ALEKO-L15-30-Electrical-Locking-Connector/dp/B01CO5FXJQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1496426102&sr=8-1&keywords=ALEKO+15A+to+30A+adapter+plug

Why spend more money on something that isn't needed?

Happy Camping,

null

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

No, there’s no stress on the adapter, and if someone is lame enough to trip over any cord, it can do damage and bend prongs on any cord… Why spend more money on something that isn’t needed?

If the cord is yanked out of the pigtail, it most likely won't hurt the 15 amp prongs on the adapter since the pull will be more in line with the cord. Unlike your short adapter. That's why.

Plus by hanging down I can water proof the connection with a boot (heat shrink tubing shrunk onto the pigtail only).

That's reason 2 ;)

And it was only $3 more than yours: .... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FYDAP6M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

John Davies

Spokane WA

No, there’s no stress on the adapter, and if someone is lame enough to trip over any cord, it can do damage and bend prongs on any cord… Why spend more money on something that isn’t needed?

If the cord is yanked out of the pigtail, it most likely won’t hurt the 15 amp prongs on the adapter since the pull will be more in line with the cord. Unlike your short adapter. That’s why. Plus by hanging down I can water proof the connection with a boot (heat shrink tubing shrunk onto the pigtail only). That’s reason 2 ???? And it was only $3 more than yours: …. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FYDAP6M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 John Davies Spokane WA

You're really stretching it John :) hehe

IMG_20170426_183511.thumb.jpg.9af11c29b2ada6b5a2cf74d7e078fda3.jpg

After working in heavy industry for most of my life as a boiler engineer, I see things a lot like you do. So my set ups are pretty much fool proof, because you know how it is. Pulling wire and laying pipe is an art, when you want it to be :)

Even Maxwell Smart would be safe around my set up.... Well, if I wanted him to be anyway :) hehe. Clean and tight is how I like my set ups also. I even wrap and roll my extra cord and hose under the trailer or hang them up on the bumper...

IMG_20170521_094242.thumb.jpg.5e71d2daecd6be8e093e9491a2a686e5.jpg

IMG_20170506_162735.thumb.jpg.d8f58c1192bfa9641b74545b73c45e29.jpg

I admit it... I'm a little ridiculous on my set ups :)

Happy Camping,

null

Reed, I didn't buy the front generator port, for a variety of reasons. I plug into the standard side port, where it is more likely to get damaged, by a person or maybe a curious bear. For a front connection, the stubby is undoubtedly the best solution.

It's still hard to water proof that type but in the dryer states that is a non-issue, unless you wash your rig with it plugged in or something.... I get nervous about AC connections and water. The factory marine connector is pretty darned watertight, when the ring is screwed down.

I like your neat and tidy setups. They photograph well and show pride of ownership. But other than the genny cable, they are tripping hazards... I prefer my stuff coiled and laid on the ground under the trailer, as much as possible. Or up and out of the way:

IMG_1589.thumb.jpg.8ddfff8d06776ae9e2261d7b12ca0899.jpg

IMG_1654.thumb.jpg.97b03a367f70a14ee7f1de43a00d9668.jpg

But I don't have a Stinky Slinky to worry about. That makes a huge difference.

BTW, the lay-flat grey hose we discussed in another thread is a mixed success. It will work fine for boondocking but is way, way too slow to drain for any kind of public dump. But it does lay close to the ground and out of the way, a minor positive....

John Davies

Spokane WA

BTW, the lay-flat grey hose we discussed in another thread is a mixed success. It will work fine for boondocking but is way, way too slow to drain for any kind of public dump. But it does lay close to the ground and out of the way, a minor positive…. John Davies Spokane WA

I never thought about using the lay flat at a public dump. It's only 1" isn't it? If you still have the standard 3" connect, for those times 15' of either 3" lay flat or Rhinoflex would be fast. I'm using the 1" right now in the woods and love it :)

Happy Camping,

null

One more thing is that I found that I can crack open the gray water valve and still close the compartment door with the 1" hose and it will also fit out the hole for the hinge on the back door, thru the diamond plate on the bottom, so the bumper door can stay closed also. I've thought about cutting a 4" hole in the diamond plate for my Rhinoflex to come out, so that I can leave that door closed at Rally's also. Then just cover it with a standard electrical duplex box cover plate that can rotate open and closed...

There's always something :)

Happy Camping,

null

One more thing is that I found that I can crack open the gray water valve and still close the compartment door with the 1″ hose and it will also fit out the hole for the hinge on the back door, thru the diamond plate on the bottom, so the bumper door can stay closed also. I’ve thought about cutting a 4″ hole in the diamond plate for my Rhinoflex to come out, so that I can leave that door closed at Rally’s also. Then just cover it with a standard electrical duplex box cover plate that can rotate open and closed… There’s always something ????

LOL. We think alike.

I intend to cut a 1.5" hole below and behind the sewer pipe end, so I can screw on a 90 degree brass garden hose elbow. It will stick down below the compartment a little.

I can uncap the elbow, crack the grey valve an inch or two, and empty the tank slowly on forest roads while I tow. It should be slow enough that nobody seeing the water draining will panic and think I am dumping sewage. On a rainy day it would be invisible.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I made a rain boot for my 15 to 30 amp pigtail adapter, using 3 inch heat shrink tubing.

IMG_1973.thumb.jpg.e78bfc158cbe94be8976303badf9904e.jpg

IMG_1974.thumb.jpg.b4010a7e399a3a1ee0240a7969870ff6.jpg

IMG_1975.thumb.jpg.5a4349bac75b7b46e402a7b32bbfc57f.jpg

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 3

Oh... I like that :) Great idea.

• Thanks 1

Happy Camping,

null

• 1 year later...

Resurrecting an old thread. My adapter failed - it did not get hot or discolored, it just failed to carry power - and I cut it open to see why.

DA3B03F8-6940-401C-85D0-B9202B3E3623.thumb.jpeg.ac3d91b7847dd1a32c941fa804f379cc.jpeg

Here are the sockets:

5B6F84D7-F77F-4E0C-B601-E7CAE55A0EBE.thumb.jpeg.ee63ee54ccf131effcdcbb690e10b7a9.jpeg

E1477DEB-BBBC-44E7-BCE8-FFD09705BD6E.thumb.jpeg.5baa0aa60142024900e7e812f2c8f19f.jpeg

The metal is dead soft and thin, I can easily bend it around with just my fingers. That is bad. I am through with the no-name ones. It was not cheap at $25: .... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FYDAP6M/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I found these two:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001VSY6H8/?coliid=I38W9QOK4KU0LC&colid=1X5H11EH41351&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NHZV54/?coliid=I26L1KFDICXXVR&colid=1X5H11EH41351&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

They appear to be similar in quality, the first one has a one year warranty, but I have never heard of Conntek. Is this a reputable company?

Marinco is the Real Deal and has a five year warranty. I have used their stuff in the past on a boat and was not disappointed. I know it would be great, it is just $10 more.

Comments?

Thank you.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Moderator+

Marinco has always been my go to choice. I have a cord I made up over 10 years ago with Marinco adaptors and it’s been going strong since the first.

• Thanks 2

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg