Solo Stove Bonfire

I have to say that I really like this. I like fires, but hate the smell and smoke. I also think it is classy and attractive.

DSCF9799-2000x1333.jpg

https://expeditionportal.com/field-tested-solo-stove-bonfire/

If your TV isn't a full sized pickup, then it is probably too bulky for camping, but for those of you with the big trucks, it could be filled with other gear (in plastic bags), a water container, or firewood.... and not take up much extra space. After letting it cool ;)

It's on sale .... https://www.solostove.com/solo-stove-bonfire

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

John,

I have one. It's not that bulky. I tow with a VW Touareg and have room for the "Bonfire". The cargo area of the Touareg typically holds two 20 liter Spectre water cans, a folding Bike Friday bike, the Bonfire and assorted small stuff (daypack, collapsible hiking poles, etc.) I usually have at least one part of the back seat folded down to provide additional capacity. The Bonfire is very well-made and comes with a nylon carry bag with handles. I bought it after my winter trip to Big Bend, Guadalupe Mountains NP, etc. and haven't had a chance to go camping this spring, so I can't confirm its performance. You've watched the videos on the website, I assume. I think it will be a great way to enjoy a fire!

Don

• Thanks 1

Don

2020 Kimberley Kruiser T3

2019 Ram 2500 Diesel

States I visited with my Ollie (Sold October, 2019)

States Visited Map

haven’t had a chance to go camping this spring, so I can’t confirm its performance.

Please try it out ASAP and post a followup review here, with pictures, of course....

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

John,

Leaving for London and Italy on Saturday and I won't return until June 10, so test fire and photos will have to wait!

Don

Don

2019 Ram 2500 Diesel

States Visited Map

I'm very tempted, but being that we don't get to completely boondock enough, I wonder about how quickly it is storable, that being cooled off enough. For that money, I would be most worried about that walking off than anything else, in any kind of visible site.

Randy

One Life Live It Enjoyably

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

2015 Oliver Elite II Hull #69

I’m very tempted, but being that we don’t get to completely boondock enough, I wonder about how quickly it is storable, that being cooled off enough. For that money, I would be most worried about that walking off than anything else, in any kind of visible site.

You might be happier with a washing machine tub. They come in stainless and porcelain. Can be had for nothing and work very well for campfires and barbequing. Doubtful anyone would steel it.

John

"I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt."

LE2 #92 (sold),   Black Series HQ19   

John, Leaving for London and Italy on Saturday and I won’t return until June 10, so test fire and photos will have to wait! Don

Don, enjoy your trip to Europe. W e have been to London many times back in my TWA days, lots to do and see there.

Stan

• Thanks 1

Stan and Carol

Blacksburg, VA

2014 Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi

2014 Legacy Elite II Standard  Hull 63

John,

Leaving for London and Italy on Saturday and I won’t return until June 10, so test fire and photos will have to wait!

Don

Have a great trip! We love both places but especially Italy...it's the food. We gain at least 10 pounds every time we go ????.

Yvonne & Doug

2017 Legacy Elite II, twin bed

Hull #223

2017 Ford F-250 Lariat, crew cab

• 3 months later...

Sorry for my delay in reporting on the Solo Bonfire. I have used it and love it. I won't post photos/videos because the Solo Stove website provides much better ones than I can provide. I can confirm that it performs as advertised. First, there is very little smoke, even when you don't have the best dry firewood. Second, the fire has a different appearance and is mesmerizing. I think it's because of constant air circulation in the bonfire. Third, you enjoy more heat from the Bonfire than from just burning wood in a ring or a firepit. The only disadvantage is that you can only view the fire from above the Bonfire. The company recommends that you keep the wood sized so the wood is completely contained within the device. You don't get the same full view of a fire that you may be used to.

I spent three nights last weekend in parks that allowed fires. One was a State Park near Clear Lake, IA and the other was a KOA in the Twin Cities, MN where I was visiting to hear live jazz. It was cool enough at night to avoid using the A/C but the number of fires in the campgrounds made it very unpleasant with the windows open and the Maxi-Fan running. I prefer boondocking where I can avoid this. I've read that some campgrounds are establishing no fire zones. I think that's a good idea because of the amount of smoke produced by campfires at almost every campsite.

• Thanks 1

Don

2019 Ram 2500 Diesel

States Visited Map