Sign in to follow this  
John E Davies

Wheels, model, warranty, care

You could connect your new and very accurate torque wrench to the old one you think might be wrong, and apply some opposing torque. A connector between the two square drives and pull one against the other. A nut screwed all the way onto a short bolt, and then a socket on each, will do it. When the new one clicks, see how far off the other one is. This will give you a reference as to how far off the old one might be. It might be 10% off, or ten ft lbs at 100 ft lbs, etc.

I couuuuuld . . . . . . . theoretically . . . . . . . very theoretically . . . . . .

:)

• Thanks 1

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

You could connect your new and very accurate torque wrench to the old one you think might be wrong, and apply some opposing torque. A connector between the two square drives and pull one against the other. A nut screwed all the way onto a short bolt, and then a socket on each, will do it. When the new one clicks, see how far off the other one is. This will give you a reference as to how far off the old one might be. It might be 10% off, or ten ft lbs at 100 ft lbs, etc.

I couuuuuld . . . . . . . theoretically . . . . . . . very theoretically . . . . . .

?

Nothing "theoretical" about it. Easy Peasy.  Takes about 10 seconds after you find the bolt and nut.  Then you'd know if the old one was accurate and you could use it with confidence.  One could live in the trailer and one in the shop, for instance. Or you'd confirm the old one was way off and should not be used.  Without testing the old one, and not trusting it, you might as well throw it away.

• Thanks 3

John

"I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt."

LE2 #92 (sold),   Black Series HQ19   

All I’ve got is a cheap one from Harbor Freight and I’ll be curious to see how accurate it is.

Please let us know the result of your calibration as well as the brand and model of the wrench. I suppose other relevant info--such as factors that might have affected the calibration or the accuracy of the wrench--would be helpful. (I am reluctant to spend $150.00 on a wrench.)

Onward through the Fog!

EarthPicks of Cochise County

AZCACOKSMONVNMORTNTXUTmed.jpg

. . . (I am reluctant to spend $150.00 on a wrench.)

I don't consider it a $150 wrench, but a $150 accurate insurance policy, which is ever so important for those of us with only one wheel on each side.

• Thanks 3

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

A couple of questions. I found the Precision 1/2" torque wrench many of you have purchased. I assume you needed to purchase an extender that you attach the socket to in order to use this torque wrench on the lug nuts on the wheels on the Olliver. Which one specifically did you buy? Also, I don't think I have 1/2" sockets. Any idea on the size of the sockets for the lug nuts, the Bulldog coupler and any bolts/nuts on the Dexter EZ Flex?

• Thanks 1

Don

2020 Conqueror UEV 490 Extreme Platinum

2019 Ram Rebel

States I visited with my Ollie (Sold October, 2019)

States Visited Map

Don:  Here’s a list of what you’ll need for each fastener. The coupler, spring shackles, and EZ-Flex pivot will require two wrenches. A socket on the torque wrench for the nuts, and some other type to apply opposing torque to the bolt heads so they don’t rotate.  This is critical for tightening the shackles and EZ-Flex pivot. I’d recommend standard chrome (non-impact) 6 point sockets as specified for each fastener.

Bulldog Coupler: 3/4” socket and a 3/4” combination wrench.  OTT says 80 ft lb.

Lug nuts: 3/4” DEEP socket with a short (3-6”) extension.  Dexter says 90-120 ft lb.

Spring shackles: 11/16” socket for nuts.  Use a 13/16” socket with a breaker bar close to the same length as your torque wrench to hold the heads.  You may need a deep socket to clear the grease fitting. Dexter says 30-50 ft lb.

EZ-FLEX center pivot (assumes at least one wheel removed): 7/8” socket with the short extension for the nut. The same 13/16” wrench you used for the shackles to hold the bolt head.  Dexter says 65-75 ft lb.

The chain hardware, auto, big box home, or farm supply stores all carry decent quality tools at competitive prices.

• Thanks 7

Forgot to include the axle u-bolts.

Use the same 3/4" deep socket as for the lug nuts. Dexter says 70 ft lb.

• Thanks 5

Here’s a list of what you’ll need for each fastener.

Any opinions on using this universal socket? Would it somehow negatively affect the torque of the torque wrench?

Onward through the Fog!

EarthPicks of Cochise County

AZCACOKSMONVNMORTNTXUTmed.jpg

Here’s a list of what you’ll need for each fastener.

Any opinions on using this universal socket? Would it somehow negatively affect the torque of the torque wrench?

As long as it can get a solid grip on the fastener (reviews are negative), it probably wouldn’t affect the torque reading. The biggest issues are: Since it is a 3/8” drive, the maximum torque it can handle is likely far below what would be useable. Certainly not in the 80-120 Ft Lb. range. Because of this limitation, the only fasteners it might be capable of are the spring shackle nuts. But you’ll need a 3/8”-1/2” square drive adapter to use it with your torque wrench. Since the maximum size fastener is 3/4”, you’re still going to need some larger sockets anyway.

Bottom line is save your money.

• Thanks 2

Everything looks to be going well. Going to have a local semi-truck axle, trailer outfit fix the axles and, just like you suggest, it is most likely going back to Oliver to be gone over.  Jason and the Oliver crew have been good in this matter, just a bit delayed insurance (normal) and being occupied by the rally, which is just a timing thing.  I look forward to it being back to mint condition and am glad that it looks like Oliver will do the fiberglass work and check over any other work. Appreciate all the good advice from everyone.

• Thanks 6

2016 Oliver Legacy Elite II, "Campie"

2016 Nissan Titan XD, Diesel, George II

Hobie Cat Kayak, 1998 (or so..)

[postquote quote=174037][/postquote]

Good Choice.

• Thanks 1

John

Going down to pick up my trailer from the axle place and take it to Hohenwald for fiberglass work. The axles were orginally ordered but didn't meet spec, so a new set had to be ordered....we'll see how see she looks. I think it sits up a couple inches higher now, due to the axles which were available from Dexter...The tested it, says it pulls very nicely...they're a little heavier, so might be a touch different.

Have DeWalt Torque wrench and assorted sockets/extensions. Think I'll be set-up nicely.

Probably crash in the OTT at the office, and turn it in early Tuesday AM. We'll see how it goes.

Hopefully, get some Fall camping done.

Vector

Probably crash in the OTT at the office, and turn it in early Tuesday AM.

Vector

Lanham, Don't say "crash"! Sheesh, once is enough! ?

Good luck on your trip.

John