Inverter noise normal???

Hikegsm

Okay, I turned on our inverter to test it today. It seems to work microwave and TV/satellite etc. My question is is it normal for it to make noises. Ours sounds like R2D2! It is pretty loud. Is this normal??

Yvonne & Doug

2017 Legacy Elite II, twin bed

Hull #223

2017 Ford F-250 Lariat, crew cab

• Moderators

We installed​ our own, before this was an option..

Ours isn't very noisy. But I would like to hear from the newer group

Sherry

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Okay, I turned on our inverter to test it today. It seems to work microwave and TV/satellite etc. My question is is it normal for it to make noises. Ours sounds like R2D2! It is pretty loud. Is this normal??

I can't comment on the noise beyond that they do whine.

Your tv and associated equipment are 12 vdc and you do not need to turn the inverter on.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

It is not a hum or a low whine. It really does sound like the star wars robot. I am wondering if it could be the satellite moving and not the inverter. The last time I tested the inverter I didn't turn on anything but the inverter. I wonder if the satellite automatically comes on like the microwave when power is present. Maybe I have to flip the satellite breaker or unplug it. I will test that. Thanks for your responses.

Yvonne & Doug

Hull #223

Must be the satellite or something, our inverter is silent.

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

On our factory tour some time ago, there was a unit set up with a generator and Robert cranked it up for us so we could see how loud it was.  When he did, the inverter started making a high pitched whine that was so annoying that I had to ask him to turn it off.  Interestingly, it didn't bother my wife as much and Robert said that he couldn't hear it at all.  But to me it was like an icepick to the ear.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all your responses. It was the satellite. I unplugged it and no more noise! That dish sure is noisy when it moves. Glad it wasn't the inverter, terrible noise ????

Yvonne

Yvonne & Doug

Hull #223

Ya it's funny, all the DC is nice and quiet, whether on generator or inverter turn on AC power and everything does a little "checking in process" I'm here, I'm here, me too.. I like the R2D2 comparison.

• Thanks 1

Randy

One Life Live It Enjoyably

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

2015 Oliver Elite II Hull #69

• 1 year later...

We have a noise when plugged in to AC power (20A at home or 30 at campground). It comes and goes, and can get quite loud. I have had Jason look at it twice, and he couldn't get it to make noise. When we unplug for awhile, it immediately goes away, and usually won't reappear after plugging in for awhile, unless we don't give it enough time.

Anyone else have this problem? It is a buzzing noise. Tom and Carol Lamb

Probably the converter under the rearmost dinette seat. It is charging the batteries and can draw 10 to 15 amps or so initially until the batteries cycle into a lower or maintenance mode requirement. When you hear the noise check the Progressive Industries remote display. It will show you amps being drawn. The remote display should be located in a readily accessible location but unfortunately isn’t usually if factory stock.

2017 Elite II, Hull #208

2019 Chevy HD 2500 Duramax