King Bed Cushion Options

Overland

I'm curious if anyone with the king bed has done anything different than the standard cushions.  We think that the standard ones are just a bit too hard to sleep on.  I know that some people carry a couple of twin sized roll-out mattress toppers that they keep in their truck, but I was curious if anyone has asked Oliver for a thicker foam, different density, etc.  We were thinking about maybe asking for an inch of memory foam to be added to the cushions.

What I don't know is if that would end up feeling too soft to use as seating, or if the cushions would end up being too high to work well with the table.  Also, all of the dimensions would need to be reworked so that the taller cushions work both in the bed and seating arrangement.

If we go with the mattress topper, does anyone have a recommendation.  I really like the TempurPedic travel set, but man, the price.

You know that's only a twin size right?

Do you have Bed Bath and Beyond? They have the 3" TempurPedic king size topper for $450, seems to have gone up, then one of their 20% off coupons make it more doable

• Thanks 1

Randy

One Life Live It Enjoyably

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

2015 Oliver Elite II Hull #69

• Moderators

If I had it to do over again, I'd use what we used on the sailboat in the last refit. Our upholsterer suggested gluing a 1.5 to 2" layer of memory foam to the top of 3 or 4" dense foam, and not using piping. The cushions are a little taller, but the memory foam gives a lot when seated, and the boat settees are pretty low, anyway.

Friends and family report good comfort in the v berth and salon, and I really like the comfort plus support of the hybrid cushions in our berth.

They're only a few years old now, but so far, so good as far as wear. We take the cushions off the boat in the hot summer months.

Sherry

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Randy, I just think a king size topper would be too cumbersome to roll up and store.  Someone at the rally mentioned going with two twin toppers as a better alternative, which makes sense to me.  Thanks for reminding me about the Bed Bath and Beyond coupons - I'm always forgetting about those.

Sherry, why no piping?  Does that make the front of the cushions more comfortable against your legs or do you just prefer the look?  We were thinking about doing that to the back cushions only because we think they look a little too boxy with the piping.

• Moderators

Our upholsterer suggested it for sleeping comfort. I like the less boxy look.

On the little dinette, I'd probably stay with just dense foam, as it makes the cushions truly reversible, and no one sleeps there anyway.

The boat cushions aren't reversible, as the bottoms all have breathable marine fabric, anyway...

Sherry

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Btw, I think we used 4 inch dense and 1.5 memory.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

We upgraded to latex cushions and added a 3" temperpedic topper. Super comfortable!

Karen

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

Do a search on Southern Mattress on the Forum.  You will find that several  on the Oliver Forum haves used this company to build custom mattresses for Oliver, Casita , etc.  Southern Mattress is located in Rocky Mount North Carolina.  The owners are very friendly.  Several, including myself have gone to the factory and had custom mattresses made.  The "custom" for me was logistically getting a queen sized mattress in my trailer.  My wife convinced me to have it made in a 1/3- 2/3 configuration. The 1/3 part strikes about at my knees.  Thus the 2/3 fits well under the rest of a human body.  Doing this allows the mattress to be evenly moved and sleeping is quite comfortable.  You can take your own foam there and they will cover it for you.  I used a foam with 6"of dense foam, 4" of soft foam and 1" of cool gel blue foam.  Like sleeping on clouds.

They have patterns for several Oliver configurations and will drop ship for you without having to go to the factory. D

• Moderators

That 1/3 and 2/3 idea is pure genius. Flip one side up, or slide one over the other. So much better than a heavy hinged mattress.

Congrats!

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

Thanks for the info on southern mattress, but since we're not getting a full depth mattress, I'm not sure if they can help.  I think that we'll try Sherry's advice with the 1.5" memory foam over the standard 4" cushion and we'll either see if the company that Oliver uses can make them for us or get it done locally.

One more cushion question - has anyone ever looked into using wedge-shaped foam like this for the back cushions?  I don't know why it bothers me that the back cushions sit 90° to the bottoms, but it does.  I was thinking that if they made the bottom edge a few inches wider than the top so that the front face sloped back slightly that they would look a whole lot better and perhaps be a bit more comfortable too.

• Moderators

Overland,

I thought about the "wedgies" when I ordered mine but decided to go with the straight ones and use throw pillows instead.  I felt that the throw pillows were a bit more flexible and when/if the second bed had to be made into a bed then it was easier to stack these straight back cushions versus having to deal with the wedgies.  So far I've been happy with that decision with the possible exception of the cushions in the dinette area.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

The whole idea of the 90 degree cushions is to be able to take the back cushions, and turn the little dinette into a small, 6' bed for a small person. (Or, for those who actually set up and take down the big dinette, ditto... We leave ours set as a permanent bed. Not sure where the table leg is anymore...)

Frankly, our boat originally had awful (to me) wedge back cushions. My parents stressed posture, and the wedges threw my head back. I found them very uncomfortable, understanding it was a fairly strong wedge.. probably 2.5 inches top to bottom, 28 inch cushion?

Next iteration was 90 degree, flat cushions. Not bad for me. My husband wasn't as comfortable as I, but we are very different in height. A small lumbar pillow worked for him, though.

The boat settee cushions are deeper than the Oliver's , though, by at least six inches.

Last and new iteration is completely different in the boat settee. Horizontal seam in the back cover, more sofa like, more lumbar support. A seam in the seat cushion and more front foam padding gives some knee and thigh support... And a bolster to keep the sleeping occupant more firmly in place when we are in seas, as the central settees are the most comfortable sleeping spots in bluewater multiple overnights.

Since we have never, in nine years, used the small dinette as a bed, I'd be tempted to rework those cushions next time around more like the boat. But, I chose great fabrics, Oliver's upholstery guy uses great foam and thread and quality zippers, and replacement day is probably a decade or more away. Cushions still look and sit new..

We rarely sit inside the trailer. Even if it's raining, if it's not too windy for the awning, we sit outside.

Just my (lengthy) two cents.

Well, then, there is this. Will you use the small dinette for sitting, sleeping, or both? How often? The small dinette table, for us, is a desk, and sometimes extra prep table when I am cooking.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

IMG_20170224_163301244.thumb.jpg.a10fa3084f91fe0c39eb2638a4ff4b26.jpg

A visual aid to the above post. I can't take credit for anything but listening, and evaluating. Our upholsterer had done cushions for a number of big name boat companies, cruising and charter. I appreciated her advice.

S

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

That looks really nice.

I have no idea how we'll end up using the dinette.  We've decided to get the king bed model but to use it for the most part as two narrower twins, with the option of setting up the full bed if we want - we want the larger table more than the bed itself.  We are getting the nightstand, though, so it will be a bit of a hybrid and could never be a full king unless we took out the nightstand.  The table will block the nightstand when set up but that's no big deal.  Anyway, our assumption is that we'll use the rear table much more than the dinette, and in fact I have an idea floating in the back of my mind that we could someday convert the dinette into a second kitchen counter with storage underneath.  But we'll see how we end up using it.