You Meet Interesting People While Camping

• Moderators

We left the Oliver Rally and headed for Helen, GA.  We had a nice site at Unicoi State Park just 2 miles from Helen - a very nice park.  While there we had a very friendly camping neighbor.  He asked where were headed next and I told him we were going to a COE campground near Boomer, NC just north of Wilkesboro, NC.  His reaction was the same that we got from Topgun when we told him.  Not the best area and not much to do there.   Our Helen neighbor lives in Banner Elk, NC.  He offered us a parking spot next to his business on the edge of town.  50a Electric and water, he sometimes parks his RV here.  After a night in our COE campground, we drove up to Banner Elk and are now camped next to his business.  What a great site!  Banner Elk motto:  "Ski Capital of the South".  You do meet interesting folks while camping!  Mike

b4ri0ohw7ovxqytb8cfq8sf7z0cu7f68.jpg.b2ccb7b6a13488dbcb8e589556deeafe.jpg

• Thanks 4

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Mike,

Sounds like you camped at Bandits Roost Campground? We Kayak there and plan to take a motorcycle for two up twisty riding next trip.

Agree, never know who you may be talking to while camping. Posted this photo here last year of a camping trip to Glacier NP MT with our previous aluminum CampLite camper a few years ago.

One morning a nice fellow was looking at the camper and showed him the all aluminum structure. Took his photo with Debbie, Jungle Jack Hanna:

ahowyw3yfja8wodpjh0v2fgvpesuigaj.jpg.c227f5d3bff8a4e9d51093260e1b1e6b.jpg

• Thanks 1

LE2

• Moderators

How'd ya like Helen?  Of course you can not say that you've been to Helen back.  How'd you like those roads around Banner Elk?  Generally they are not very wide and most have a few curves in them.  Anything north of Interstate 40 gets a bunch more snow during the winter as compared to places like Brevard.  However, it is really the ice that causes problems and the fact that many of these mountain towns do not have appropriate snow removal equipment.  Depending on the direction you are heading next, Mount Mitchell (the highest point east of the Mississippi River) is worth a quick stop.  Boone is a college town and Asheville is called the "Paris of the South".  If you "do" Asheville and have the time and money (it will take you virtually all day and the admission fee is something north of $60 each), the Biltmore house is the Oliver of homes.

Bill

• Thanks 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

:)

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

• Moderator+

Banner Elk, home of the Woollyworm festival.

• Thanks 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderators

Great photo!

Camping truly does bring together a lot of people from different locations and vocations, doesn't it?

We love Banner Elk. So much to do in s tiny town... I'm sure there's live music somewhere today, lots of great food.

Some great views of Grandfather Mountain from Seven Devils.

Sherry

Steve, the Woolly Worm Festival was a blast... And great company that year...

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators
How’d ya like Helen? Of course you can not say that you’ve been to Helen back. How’d you like those roads around Banner Elk? Generally they are not very wide and most have a few curves in them. Anything north of Interstate 40 gets a bunch more snow during the winter as compared to places like Brevard. However, it is really the ice that causes problems and the fact that many of these mountain towns do not have appropriate snow removal equipment. Depending on the direction you are heading next, Mount Mitchell (the highest point east of the Mississippi River) is worth a quick stop. Boone is a college town and Asheville is called the “Paris of the South”. If you “do” Asheville and have the time and money (it will take you virtually all day and the admission fee is something north of $60 each), the Biltmore house is the Oliver of homes. Bill

Helen was nice.  We had the town to ourselves.  Unicoi State Park there was also very nice.

gdopvz2bvcbeff7cti6olvr0i4f780gf.thumb.jpg.8e0fd2baead5220ccefd8afef0d80a80.jpg

We also enjoyed Anna Ruby Falls.

kdviotigj3krm98obv78s81rbkxx5log.thumb.jpg.e334c5fa69cff84dee7e458aad5b28ca.jpg

Here in Banner Elk it's interesting to be parked "in town", very convenient.

oapwmuqxr7zckrkh84i9ujb46ww1wh0b.jpg.624c4673e8b1b5745a7bba28ddc386fb.jpg

The Mast General Store was fun and we enjoyed Grandfather Mountain.  There is a lot to do around here, warrants a trip back!  Mike

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators
Banner Elk, home of the Woollyworm festival.

0m6db612jd4r4g6sivlq4lihz5ud20hs.jpg.151081c594b29dfabe4d39d69c7953e0.jpg

I've got my ticket!  It's an awesome small town, big fun experience.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

• Moderators

Aww, you still have your ticket? I just found the calico scraps from the storytelling festival... The safety pin was only slightly rusted. What a great time. Six trailers egg rolling around the Appalachian autumn for four to six weeks.

Some of my best camping memories. Because of the people.

We've been camping foreign too much. Time for another egg roll.

S

(When we get stateside .. ..)

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators
Aww, you still have your ticket? I just found the calico scraps from the storytelling festival… The safety pin was only slightly rusted. What a great time. Six trailers egg rolling around the Appalachian autumn for four to six weeks. Some of my best camping memories. Because of the people. We’ve been camping foreign too much. Time for another egg roll. S (When we get stateside .. ..)

Hmmmm.  Oliver egg roll?  Sounds like fun!

• Moderators

It was a lot of fun. 5 camping venues, fun people. Some could only stay a week, others two, some of us six... It was great.

Hopefully, another time. We're all so far flung, anymore,

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4