State Registration & Taxes Other Costs

Bruce W

Travel trailers are new to me. I assume that if you buy the trailer, that you have to pay sales tax and register the trailer. I live in Texas. If I were to buy a trailer, would I pay sales tax in Texas and register it in Texas?

You don't pay property tax on a trailer, do you?

Bruce & Vas

• Moderators
Travel trailers are new to me. I assume that if you buy the trailer, that you have to pay sales tax and register the trailer. I live in Texas. If I were to buy a trailer, would I pay sales tax in Texas and register it in Texas? You don’t pay property tax on a trailer, do you?

We also live in Texas.  After picking up in Tennessee we got home before our 30 Day Tennessee temporary tag ran out and registered in Texas, including sales tax.  No property tax.  You do need a state safety inspection, which didn't amount to much - just checking the lights.  Mike

• Thanks 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Yep, taxes, title, and registration in Illinois cost over $3600.00. One of the poorest states in the US. And insurance for one year was $445.00 I can really appreciate you folks who are using your trailers a lot of the time. I'm not getting my money's worth right now. Wife still working, but the time is coming when I hope to be on the road much more. BTW it's a good idea to tell your insurance company you are getting a new travel trailer before you go to pick it up or even get the title info from Oliver and have your trailer insured BEFORE you pick it up as it's a Tennessee state law that you cannot leave the company lot without your trailer being insured. Remember, you can put your trailer or extra cars in storage if you will not be using them for 30 consecutive days. I have two cars in storage now, meaning I'm not paying insurance on them except comprehensive. Collision, hospitalization and liability insurance are not being charged and they are the expensive ones.

• Thanks 1

J-Rhett

Oliver Legacy Elite II (Irog)

1995 Ford F-250 x4 Turbo Diesel

Trek Bikes, Hobie Cat Kayak

In Mississippi, I was charged for registration, but no sales tax. My total cost was about $250. For once, it is a good place to be!

Mike and Elizabeth Smith

Snow Lake Shores, MS

2016 Ford F150 3.5 EB, max tow (20,900  miles pulling Ollie since Sept 2016)