Ford F-150 Trailer Disconnect Issue

ScottyGS

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

OK, here's the bottom line from by trip that ended this afternoon.  I traveled from Western NC to Colorado and back.  There was copious rain, numerous rough dirt roads and a bunch of miles on the Interstate.  I used the Tow Ready 20142 the entire time and never had one "disconnect" issue or message.  In a previous post I mentioned that I was going to remove some foil tape that I had applied over and around some of the wiring and lights prior to the trip.  I never got around to doing that.  So, the only difference in my before the trip and after the trip was the Tow Ready 20142 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C4AYR3U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Told a friend, that had just bought a 2015 F150 about the potential "disconnect" problem. He has a SOB trailer. Said he had not had a problem. Two days later he called and said, "#@+:;$@", the message and ding ding were showing up all the time. He took the service bulletin listed in this forum to the dealer during other service call and asked it to be done. The service dept. wondered where he got the info as they had never heard about it or had it listed. Service was done and the last two trips with the SOB were with out issue, no more ding, dings. The service bulletin evidently did include dielectric grease on the trailer plug. It's purpose is to eliminate corrosion and possible bad contacts. The F150 was reprogrammed, but wonder if the dielectric grease alone might eliminate the not F150s having the same issues?

• Moderators

Canoe12,

Nope, don't think so in that I've used dielectric grease on both the plug and truck since day one (well, actually day two if you want to split hairs).  Heck, I even used it on the Tow Ready prior to plugging it into the truck.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Second on the dielectric grease.   Use it and it apparently has no bearing on the disconnect issue.   Glad to hear that the Ford dealer update worked.  It did not for me.  When we remember that we are driving trucks with computers embedded in them, problems like this and their multiple solutions start to make more sense.

One comment on the Tow Ready 20142.  It does solve the problem but.....   I believe that it does so by fooling the truck into thinking there is a trailer connected.  If you leave it plugged into the F-150 the truck thinks it has a trailer connected even when it's not.  Not sure if this would pose a hazard, or as much of a hazard as the warning going off all the time.  I would start getting worried about an actual disconnect if I saw the trailer lights go out in the side view mirrors, or if I notice a difference in braking.   Until then... All Hail the Mighty Tow Ready!  :-)

Thanks again for everyone's help on getting this problem fixed.  Best of Luck and Safe Travels!

Scotty

Gregg & Donna Scott and Missy the Westie  -    The Flying Sea Turtle - Hull # 145     Western NC

CTDEGAMDMANHNJNYNCPASCTNVAxlg.jpg

• Moderators

ScottyGS,

I think that you are right on the mark concerning how the Tow Ready works.  I only use it when I'm actually towing.  Since I have "cross traffic" alerts when I plug in a trailer I get a message that the "cross traffic" alert function is no longer in operation (not surprising).  However, I also have "blind spot" alerts and not only do they continue to work, but, they are adjusted for the length of the trailer in addition to the length of the truck (I had to input into the computer the length of the trailer I'm towing).

Bill

• 1 year later...

Re-awakening the question about WHY the Tow-Ready 20142 seems to work:

When picking up our Legacy Elite II last month it immediately showed the 'Trailer Disconnected' message. I had a Tow-Ready 20142 on hand (I'd been camping out on this forum quite a bit) and it immediately solved the problem. I have not removed it since (while traveling) so I can't be sure if the initial error message was spurious or not I also don't have a clue why it works.

Could it have to do with the fact that certain algorithms in some brake controllers also monitor the current draw of the braking lights and/or indicators and issue this message when the current draw is below a lower threshold? So the advent of low current LEDs trigger this message and that the 20142 increases resistance/current draw to alleviate this condition? I read something on an Airstream Forum that seemed to hint at this solution but I now cannot find it.

Does anyone have this problem with pre-LED trailers?

Or, is this way off course?

I would say that is the problem. This is off etrailer.

Tow Ready Wiring - 20142

Designed for use with vehicles that have lamp-out sensors, this adapter ensures that your trailer with LED lights does not trigger any warnings or hyperflashing when hooked up to your vehicle's 7-way, blade-style connector.

Features:

Bypasses your vehicle's lamp-out sensor so that you can tow a trailer with LED lightsPrevents your vehicle's computer from sensing that a trailer light is burned out, which is how it would normally read the LED lights on the trailer

Designed for use with vehicles with Lamp-Out sensors - such as Audi, Mercedes-Benz, Volkswagen, and Porsche

Plugs into the 7-way, RV-style trailer connector on your vehicle

Provides a new 7-way, RV-style trailer connector that works with trailers that have LED lights

If you have a vehicle with a factory tow package that has a lamp-out sensor and you tow a trailer that has LED lights on it, then you've likely experienced hyperflashing and/or false computer errors. Because LEDs pull such a small amount of power, certain sensors are unable to detect them. The result is a warning in your vehicle that continuously tells you that the trailer lights are not functioning. In addition, the lights on your trailer may not illuminate properly because of your vehicle's inability to recognize LED lights. This can lead to either hyperflashing lights on the trailer or lights that will not illuminate at all.

This adapter has a built-in bypass system that is designed to eliminate these problems. Just plug the adapter into your vehicle's 7-way, RV-style trailer connector and you're good to go. Plug the wiring connector from your LED-lit trailer into the adapter's 7-way, blade-style receptacle and the trailer's lights will illuminate as they're supposed to, without triggering errors in your car's computer.

20142 Tow Ready 7-Pole Blade to 7-Pole Blade Trailer Connector Adapter for VW, Audi, Mercedes-Benz, and Porsche Towing Trailers with LED Lights

• Thanks 1

ABNBNSPEALARCOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMSMOMTNENHNMNYNCOHOKPARISCSDTNTXUTVTVAWVWYmed.jpg

Tom & Cheryl 

LE II #305

2018 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax