bunkbeds

• Moderators

Phil, iv'e seen it come up a couple of times, but I think that the factory hasn't seen one that meets their stringent requirements, yet. At any rate there hasn't been one posted on here that I know of. Got a good idea ? Oliver would likely be very intrested in hearing about it !

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

we are die hard fiberglass camper owners, and If the Oliver had the bunkbed option we might consider buying one.. We take our kids camping with us every weekend, We have only missed two weekends this year that we havent been camping out in a State Park somewhere in Texas

• Moderators

Phil, at last year's rv show we saw some really clever drop down beds and also some bunks that folded up into overhead cupboards (especially in toyhaulers and very small stickbuilts) . I think you have the kernel of a great idea here.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

The last time I talked to the factory about a capability to sleep 4 -- tyhey told me they were looking at a "hammock" that would fit about the side dinette (when converted to a single bed. They didn't mention anything about a bunk for above the side dinette when converted to a bed.

That was several months ago, so perhaps they have considered something else. It would be great to have a bunk that fit above the dinette for that fourth bed.

• 9 years later...

We are very interested in the Oliver trailers too but would also like to have bunk beds for 2 kids. Wow, it has been 10 years since the original post. I take it there is no update to the bunk bed option or mod.

To share and hopefully build on this idea ...

After researching, I think a promising option would be to somehow use the Kid-O-Bunk and maybe build a platform for it over the dinette. Another option would be to set it up on one side of the master bed.

http://www.discobed.com/cots/kid-o-bunk-teal-with-organizers/

• Administrators

@kev117 - My understanding is the bunk bed option is in the Research and Development stages.

I don't have an ETA as to when or if it will be made available just yet. We'll update when we have more information.

Thanks!

Full Stack Developer/Marketing @ Oliver Companies

Oliver Forums Guidelines & Rules

I remember there was another thread on bunk beds (which I cannot find anymore with the illustrious search function) where somebody (maybe Overland?) suggested building a frame out of some kind of aluminum rails that are designed to lock together but can be cut easily to whatever length you want.  Does anybody else remember that one?

2018 OLEII #344   |   2018 Ford Expedition

AZCACOGAKSMONMTNWYsm.jpg

Yes, that was me.  I could probably dig up that sketch if anyone is interested, though it wasn't any more than an idea.  I never gave it any more thought since we don't need bunks ourselves, but I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to do, provided the height is there.  The idea was very similar to those bunk beds in the link above - something you could set on top of the dinette seats.

We only have one kid so the stock setup works for us, but if we ever have another I thought I'd try to make something that would be easy to stow in order to still allow use of the dinette during the day.

This is all just notional, but I thought of creating supports that attach into the pantry and bathroom walls into which could be set two wooden rods.  Then between those rods I'd make cot out of a fabric sling with maybe some stretchy cord or webbing crisscrossed underneath for support.  The "cot" and bedding could easily be rolled up and stored in the closet or TV during the day.  Should be good enough for the older kid to sleep in until he's old enough to sleep in a tent outside.

As for the supports, they'll probably need something to transfer the weight down rather than relying on the strength of the thin fiberglass.  But still it shouldn't be too obtrusive visually when the cot is not installed.

2018 OLEII #344   |   2018 Ford Expedition

AZCACOGAKSMONMTNWYsm.jpg