Surburban Furnace NOISE COMPLAINT!

Is anyone else having an issue with the Furnace NOISE LEVEL?     We just got back from the New Hampshire Spring Fling and found that the furnace has developed a rather nasty knocking sound.  It sounds like the fan / wheel is hitting the housing.  It's loudest under load and pushing on the side of the furnace will lessen the noise.

Here are some videos of the problem:  (you might need to copy and paste the URL)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPu6qkB3E54

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66qzXefR4R8

Has anyone else had or solved this problem?

Does anyone know how to remove the Furnace?  It looks like if you pop the rivits on the exhaust and then remove the screws that mount the unit to the frame you would be able to lift it out.  Of course you still need to disconnect power and propane.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Scotty

Flying Sea Turtle - Hull # 145

• Thanks 1

Gregg & Donna Scott and Missy the Westie  -    The Flying Sea Turtle - Hull # 145     Western NC

CTDEGAMDMANHNJNYNCPASCTNVAxlg.jpg

Thanks Mike.

I sent Anita and Jason an email about this and some other issues and hope to speak with him in a day or two.  Will report back.

Scotty

Gregg & Donna Scott and Missy the Westie  -    The Flying Sea Turtle - Hull # 145     Western NC

• Moderators

I'm with Mike.  After almost a year and a half I first used my furnace at the Oliver Rally.  I was actually pleasantly surprised at how quiet it is.  Hopefully you will be driving past the Mothership sometime soon 'cause that noise just ain't right.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Do you have bug screens over the vent holes? Sounds like a mouse got a stick into the fan cage...

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

It sounds like a mouse... or RAT wearing full medieval armor got stuck in the fan cage.... But probably not.  Have had the screens since we picked her up last June.   It will be interesting to find out exactly what is causing this.

This is what the Suburban manual says about noise.  ( I am betting on number 4 )

B. Blower Is Noisy:

1. Check for lint accumulation or debris on the blower wheels or possible damage to the

wheel.

2. Check for excessive voltage and correct, if present.

3. Check polarity. If reversed, the motor will whine and run backward. Air delivery will

be too low to close the microswitch.

4. Wheel may be hitting the housing. Remove the combustion air housing and adjust

the wheel with a T-handle 1/8" Allen wrench. On the room air wheel side, a 90* angle

1/811 Allen wrench will be needed to remove or adjust the wheel.

5. At times, insects such as mud daubers and wasps will build nests inside the

combustion air housing, coming in from the fresh air intake. Remove any foreign

materials and check the combustion air wheel for warpage.

6. If the bushings of the motor are worn and noise persists, replace the motor. Check

both wheels for balance and, if not proper, replace the wheel or wheels.

Update:    I spoke with Jason about the furnace noise and he said that they would need to either align the wheel or replace the unit.  This will involve a trip to the mothership this year.  I asked about the procedure for removing the furnace thinking I might be able to do this myself.  This proved to be wishful thinking.  The furnace must be removed through the basement area.  Jason did say that they could cut into the hull and create an access door to get the furnace out and a new one back in again.  I am thinking that this idea makes a tremendous amount of sense.  That would make future adjustments / repairs / replacements a fairly straightforward job.  I may explore having this done when in Hohenwald for the repair.

In the meantime... Thinking about picking up one of these.

http://www.mrheater.com/portable-buddy-heater.html

Thanks everyone.

Scotty

The heater looks nice, and says it is safe for indoors, but you might want to double check on whether  it's ok for the confines of the Ollie.  I would worry about carbon monoxide for one, and the amount of moisture propane puts into the air, perhaps causing a moisture issue that you ordinarily would not have in an Oliver.

GrayGhost

2015 Legacy Elite II Hull # 98

2020 F150 3.5 EcoBoost

The furnace must be removed through the basement area.  Jason did say that they could cut into the hull and create an access door to get the furnace out and a new one back in again.

Gregg,

When we picked up our trailer, hull 153, Oliver had to perform this procedure to correct a problem with our furnace .  Very professional looking results, and, I believe, incorporated on the 2017 models.

Dennis

• Thanks 1

States Visited Map

Map of Provinces I Visited

2016 Legacy Elite II  #153

2020 Ford F250 Platinum Tremor 7.3

Dennis,   DANG! ... Wish I had known to take a look at it at the Spring Fling.  There is a pic of your trailer on the picture page and I can see the door but not well.  Would you post a pic when you get a chance?  No rush.  Won't have to make a decision on this for months, but I would like to get it teed up with the folks at Oliver.    Makes a lot of sense to provide better access to that area.

Thank You for that info.  Hope our paths cross again some time soon.

Scotty

You will get propane smell and CO from the Little Buddy and it may set off the detector but if you run it on low, it will still heat the place in a few minutes. I have ours here with us, they work fine :)

I have an old review on them here.

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

• Moderators

I'm one of those who is sensitive to the smell of the buddy type heaters. As is my daughter. my husband is fine with it, but with my sensitivity, it's a no go for us.

Since it's a stop gap kind of thing for you, be sure you buy from a source that you are able to return it, if it turns out that you are sensitive, like me, would be my advice.

And, with summer coming, do you even need a furnace, or would an extra good blanket be ok, til you get the noisy furnace repaired??

Not to minimize your issue. That fan noise is crazy. Never heard anything like it.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

I've used a Mr. Buddy for years with no problems.  The small one (single panel) is more than enough to heat the Elite II.  I always keep the bath vent open and have never smelled anything, but, I'm not particularly sensitive to most odors anyway.  My usual operation is to not have heat on at all during the night.  Then when nature calls an hour or so before normal getting up time, I take care of business, then light the Mr. Buddy (simple and very similar to lighting the cook top) and jump back in bed.  By the time I get up it is nice and warm.  One of those small propane bottles last three to four days - not cheap but there is no drain on the batteries from running the furnace fan.  Of course, when I'm in a place that has electric available I use a small ceramic cube heater that I picked up at a garage sale for $5.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Dennis,

Thanks for the picture.  I will have them put that in when we have the repair done.  I guess that will make our Oliver a 2016 and a HALF!   We were the experimental unit for the 2017 stripes and with the door I think we can claim half status.

Thanks again,

Scotty

• 6 months later...

Update on the heater repair!   ....   And big thanks to Jason Essary for getting all our work done in one day.

Just got back from a two week trip down south.  Left Donna in Asheville to hunt the real estate monster while Piper and I headed over I 40 to the Mothership.  Got a bunch of work done in one day including a heating unit replacement.  Suburban didn't give Oliver any trouble at all about warranty and authorized a new replacement unit.  Oliver installed the access door and we were good to go.  Nice quiet heat.

On the way down we used the Mr. Buddy and a small ceramic Braun heater ( when we had power ).

They both worked fine with two cautions.

Mr. Heater Buddy - it does put out some moisture and in our circumstance that accumulated near the seams at the bunk area.  When I pulled the mattress's to have the work done, the bottoms were damp.  So, if you use a propane heater pay a bit of attention to that. Might want to get some damprids.

Braun Ceramic - small noise level and a bit of vibration, but nothing too bad.  That is until it vibrated off the counter.  It took the fall like a champ but Donna saw it getting ready to go and let out a scream that would have made Jamie Curtis proud.  I damn near had a heart attack from the scream followed up by the bang of the heater hitting the floor.  No damage to anything though.

So that's that.  The Suburban would be our heat source of choice plugged or unplugged, but having back ups is a good thing.

Scotty

• Thanks 2