Storage Ideas

Bruce W

I'm interested in suggestions on what to carry and how to carry it. For example:

1. Black water stuff, hoses, etc.

2. Carpet to set up chairs etc. on. I saw someone somehow put a 4 or 6" piece of PVC pipe on their trailer.

3. Comfortable, compact chairs to sit on outside.

4. Fishing rods

5. Other items? Please tell me what is important to carry and how you carry / stow it.

6. Kitchen stuff and how you stow it.

Bruce & Vas

• Moderators

Wow!  Get ready for a bunch of different ideas.

Certainly you can go to the extreme and basically "do a Scubarx".  Steve and Tali have twin bed risers for more storage space inside and has constructed a really neat storage box that fits on the rear of his Ollie.

I do have a "storage tube" fitted to the frame near the rear of mine.  I place a small rug and a black water 10 foot extension (that I never used) in this tube.  Obviously, anything that hangs down under your camper is subject to all kinds of hazards, so, nothing of importance goes in there.  My fishing rods always get a prime storage spot - either in the back seat of my truck or in the closet.

Black water items go in the storage area behind the rear bumper.

Chairs go in the closet.

Clam shelter goes in the closet.

Kitchen items - pots and pans go in the two center drawers of my Elite II due to the height.  Eating utensils go in the small drawer right in front of the sink (models prior to the 2017's have an obvious silverware drawer in this location).  Junk drawer is bottom on the right and cooking utensils are in the top right.  That leaves the bottom left for garbage bags, table linens, and other "stuff".

Other items like tool bag, electric cube heater, collapsible table, go on the closet floor and storage bins with things that don't fit in the "junk drawer" go on the shelves of the closet.

I do carry a shower tent and solar shower which I store in the area under the streetside bed.

A toaster oven is carried above the dinette while all other "kitchen" items are in the storage areas above the microwave and cooktop .

Hope this helps!

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Thanks!

1.  We thought about the twin risers. But, my wife told me we'll want to sit on the beds. And, that the risers will put the mattress es too high.

2. Can you send me a picture of how you put / attached the tube? I'll pm you my email address.

3. I don't even know what a clam shelter is. I'll google it.

4. Toaster oven, great idea. I was thinking of an induction cooktop too. But, I have an old camping white gas stove. I'll start with that.

Bruce & Vas

• Moderators

With the toaster oven, just make sure that it is small enough to fit in the overhead bins and that its wattage is not too high for the inverter.  I've found that some foods (like pizza and toast) are simply better using the toaster oven versus the microwave.

• Thanks 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

I put my fishing poles and tackle box under the front dinette seat, then when I get home and take them out, I say why did I even take them. Dealing with a non resident fishing license is kind of a pain.

Stan

Stan and Carol

Blacksburg, VA

2014 Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi

2014 Legacy Elite II Standard  Hull 63

• Moderators
Wow! Get ready for a bunch of different ideas. Certainly you can go to the extreme and basically “do a Scubarx”. Pete has twin bed risers for more storage space inside and has constructed a really neat storage box that fits on the rear of his Ollie...............Hope this helps! Bill

Bill, Haha....Thanks!  But while I'd like to take all the credit for ScubaRx's ideas and modifications, it must stay where it belongs, with Steve, the real ScubaRx.

Pete, aka Bugeyedriver

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

• Moderators

Pete - sorry about that.  With such greatness it is hard to tell the difference between you two.  Now - take a look at your PM's!

Bill

p.s.  of course you could have given details on storage particularly as it pertains to your truck.

3. I don’t even know what a clam shelter is. I’ll google it. 

This is the single best accessory I've seen on this forum, got one shortly after it was mentioned and it went up about a month ago and hasn't come down yet, sitting in it now actually. Thanks to whomever first brought it up.

• Thanks 2

Randy

One Life Live It Enjoyably

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

2015 Oliver Elite II Hull #69

• Moderators

In the bed of the truck I carry two larger "zero gravity" chairs and two small camp chairs, a camp table, Weber charcoal grill, Weber propane grill, charcoal, chocks and blocks and on long trips or boondock trips a generator and 20lb propane tank (we have all that on this current trip).

The closet is for hang up clothes, shoes, hamper, and miscellaneous things (first aid kit, small hand vac, tool kit, etc).

The back overhead (attic) is for some of my clothes and then containers with DVD's, spare parts (fuses, hose gaskets, on command tape, etc).

The back two side overheads are for clothes.  The two over the kitchen for kitchen things.  The two over the dinette for some bathroom items, a toaster and a small coffee maker (Nespresso Pixie).

In the basement I carry water hoses and accessories (Y spitter, pressure regulator, nozzle) power cables, 50a adapter, 20a adapter, surge protector, toilet additives in a bucket (detergent, water softener).  Mike

• Thanks 4

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

"clam" is a proprietary name.

For us, we carry day to day indoor life (clothing, cookware, bedding, food), for the most part, in the trailer. Odd bits... Chainsaw, extra 5 gallon water containers, dirty laundry,generator, gas cans, extra propane tank, extra stuff, etc, etc, (sometimes the ATV...) in the truck bed...

Even in the smaller, older, elites, you can pack clothes, equipment, and essentials and more in the trailer????, and even more stuff that you don't need, in a short bed or SUV for a couple months or more.

Been there. Done that. Way too much stuff. Many times.

But, we're still married. .. with or without too much 'stuff'. Life's an adventure. The road amplifies it, and we love it.

Sherry

• Thanks 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Everyone is different and packs differently and different things. If you don't have something, someone in the trailer park may loan it to you or sell it, or give it to you. Best way to find out what you need is find a pard or relative who camps right now and question them and go out and camp with them. And as you have more experiences you will know what you need to carry and where. So many questions and so little time. Go camp 25 miles from home and see what you're missing!! Some people may never take water cans or propane tanks as the trailer has these! Depends on many things such as where you are going and how long you will stay and what you plan on doing when you get there. You are too nervous u075908@yahoo.com. Just use some common sense and enjoy. You won't be in a life and death situation unless you put yourself there. Make sure you take plenty of ammo and 3-4 cases of beer. Those are the important things! LOL

J-Rhett

Oliver Legacy Elite II (Irog)

1995 Ford F-250 x4 Turbo Diesel

Trek Bikes, Hobie Cat Kayak

• Moderators

As J-Rhett says - everyone packs differently.  With regards to another thread on the Forum concerning the use of "Cubes" primarily for packing cloths, I've found that using the old Army/Navy trick of rolling cloths works for me.  I roll each T-shirt (or pair of shorts or jeans or virtually anything else), place a rubber band around it and then simply stack them into the overhead bins.  I can obviously tell the color and from that know which shirt (etc.) it is and pull it out of the stack.  With the rubber bands holding the rest in place they do not become a jumbled mess as a result.  I do use "Space Saver" bags (the kind that you can force the excess air out of simply by rolling the ends as opposed to the ones that require a vacuum cleaner to suck the air out) for cloths that I pre-treat with insect repellent.  These bags are also used for items like fleece jackets/sweaters that are a lot less bulky if the air is taken out of them.

Bill

• 4 weeks later...

If anyone is interested, the Breville Mini smart oven fits perfectly on the bottom of the pantry...if you get the urge to roast a chicken, just saying

• Thanks 3

Olive Oyl

2015 GMC Yukon

2016 Legacy Elite II

Hull # 132