Inside Size of Generator Basket

You could use a camouflage cover to hide it. :)

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Honda-Camo-Cover-for-EU2000i-Generator-08P57-Z07-00G/207000454

edit.  I do not have a generator basket. Hopefully someone with this option will chime in with the dimensions.

David Stillman, Salt Lake City, Utah

2016 Oliver Elite II  Hull 164    |    2017 Audi Q7 tow vehicle. 

Travel and Photography Blog: http://davidstravels.net

• 1 year later...

The new basket is not entirely rectangular shape, but the dimensions are 28" x 21" x 8" high. I have attached (hopefully) the most current drawing for the basket. Upon picking up my Oliver in April2019, I hope to carry my Honda 2200i (20"x 12" x 17"high) and one Jerry gas can (14" x 7" x 19" high) in the basket. Looks as if I can carry them perpendicular to the hitch in a 16" x 28" rectangular area toward the back of the basket and avoid the three-sided shape of the basket front. I would like to obtain a weatherproof cover to protect the generator during road travel. Ideally, a lockable metal cover. Somewhere I read the basket weight limit is 140lbs (the Honda generator and the gas can should be under this limit). If I ever need to run the generator, it is light enough to easily remove from the basket to operate on the ground. If anyone has ideas about a cover, I am very interested. I sent note to Oliver asking if they outsource the fabrication of this basket in hopes I might contact the fabricator directly to have a lockable, weatherproof cover made (Aluminum?). All comments and opinions are most welcome.

ELITE-2-STORAGE-BASKET-PRINT-09-01-18.pdf

KWR

2019 Oliver Legacy Elite II, Hull#444

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab, 4WD, Denali, Duramax 6.6L Turbo Diesel V8 Engine with Allison 6-speed transmission

• Moderators

These baskets are fabricated in house by Oliver - see my recent pictures of the plant tour which show the bottom of these baskets both "tack" welded and with the final welding completed.  I know that there are vinyl covers available for these generators but I have never seen a metal cover.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Excellent information! I will review the rvgeneratorbox website options - looks to be the ticket! If you get a chance, maybe a picture of your box in the tray? Do you run the generator in the box while in the tray? If so, how does it work? Looks like the box is vented and built for running the generator in the box? I will do some research. As I mentioned, I have a Honda2200i. Hopefully there is room in the basket for generator, metal box, and a fuel can. Once again, thank you for the information about the box, and thank you for pointing out Oliver fabricates the tray inhouse - I should have noticed from the pictures.

KWR

2019 Oliver Legacy Elite II, Hull#444

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab, 4WD, Denali, Duramax 6.6L Turbo Diesel V8 Engine with Allison 6-speed transmission

Do you run the generator in the box while in the tray?

The original intent for the cargo tray was to store AND run a generator there. That is why the original design was called a generator tray and has a big slot in back for the 30 amp shore power cord to go. But now Oliver is in tune with the generator companies and they caution to keep it far away when operating, to keep from gassing the occupants.... in addition there will be some vibration from the engine, I think.

I set my Yamaha on the ground, on a piece of cardboard, downwind next to the tongue, so I can loop the 8’ cable lock through it. I am still alive, so far so good. When turned off and cooled down, I drag the cardboard under the tongue as far as it will go, and secure my disconnected Stone Stomper fabric around it as a disguise. Unless you are up close, you cannot tell what it is.

If you put the unit under a tree 50 feet away, it will be very quiet, but you may find it has disappeared as soon as it gets dark.

I do think those boxes are great, but my 2400 is maybe a little large for one. A box mounted on the Oliver rear bike rack would be a great setup, look cool, and it would free up space at the tongue for maneuvering room or other stuff, like Overland’s sexy offroad swivel jack. Just thinking... for now my genny travels in the truck.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• 4 months later...