Reflectix Window and Vent Trick

ScottyGS

Had this idea last year but did not get around to executing until this week.  I was thinking that keeping light out of the trailer when it is in storage would keep the heat level down.  As an added benefit, if you need to overnight at a Wal-Mart or other parking lot with all night lighting, this might let you get some sleep.

All I did was remove the window shades and cut the reflectix to size.  Then it is easy to install / remove and roll up and store.

The roof vent for the MaxxAir Fan and the Door Window took some velcro and duct tape to make work but it was pretty easy to size and put up.  Easily removable with the velcro.  The last picture of the interior was taken on a bright sunny day around noon.  When you first enter and close the door it is pitch black inside.  When your eyes adjust you can see the interior enough to move around.  Some light still gets in but not enough to keep you awake.  Hope you enjoyed this.

Best,

Scotty

IMG_0321.thumb.jpg.32036c37d250f3656cefacbf6661138d.jpg

IMG_0322.thumb.jpg.bad8ff77e6ab5d234c47ae4a592208e3.jpg

IMG_0323.thumb.jpg.31a26967fc08e86d34f54205fab6b1b5.jpg

IMG_0324.thumb.jpg.bdb7ebdebab7d9cdb44a3328b57e9c4c.jpg

IMG_0325.thumb.jpg.f58f8a1dfa6e6a1a9a147855909696de.jpg

• Thanks 4

Gregg & Donna Scott and Missy the Westie  -    The Flying Sea Turtle - Hull # 145     Western NC

CTDEGAMDMANHNJNYNCPASCTNVAxlg.jpg

• Moderators

A number of people use some form of this idea in long Alaska days.

Thanks for the idea, and photos. You did a nice, neat job.

Sometimes, the sun comes up before we're ready for it.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't worry. The window shades work fine. There are two shades in each window frame.  One that is see through and one that is not.  At campsites the shade will make it dark enough to sleep fine.  I made these to keep the heat level down while the trailer is in storage OR for those time s when you overnight at a Walmart.  The parking lot lights can be annoying.

'Welcome to the family and please post some pics of your Ollie on the forum.

Scotty

Gregg & Donna Scott and Missy the Westie  -    The Flying Sea Turtle - Hull # 145     Western NC

Sitting Bull, I've had no trouble napping mid day, in the summer desert. It's just a recommendation, depending upon what your preferred level of darkness is. To me the only, not completely dark enough, area is the overhead fan. The night shades keep the interior pretty dark.

Randy

One Life Live It Enjoyably

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

2015 Oliver Elite II Hull #69

I don't put anything over the fan, but we do sometimes put a sweat shirt, robe, or something over the front door window if the sun is rising on that side. The windows all stay dark :)

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

Reed, are the new units coming with translucent windows? I'll have to check but I'm pretty sure ours is black, I don't remember noticing light through it.

Randy

One Life Live It Enjoyably

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

2015 Oliver Elite II Hull #69

Yup, it's the frosted white glass now.

Happy Camping,

null

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

• Moderators

5naix9zjtw30ar2tld213mpz94carvdn.jpg.aae9e21177b5114668c116edf9dcfc74.jpg

I just took a look at my pictures file and I do not have an interior picture that shows the "cover" I made to place over the MaxAir fan.  As it turns out, there are two uses for this cover - I intended to use it only to block the light that comes through that area, but, the second use is that it keeps the fan cleaner than it would be otherwise.

I had some "V" channel left over from a job that I did a number of years ago where I was putting interior storm windows over some old basement windows.  I don't think that you can buy this stuff anymore, but probably either double sided tape or velcro could be used in some fashion.  I purchased some air conditioner filter material (the black thin stuff) at WalMart for a bit less than a dollar.  Cut it to fit over the outside of the fan opening and used the "V" channel to hold it in place.  I can no longer manually adjust the fan, but there is always the remote which works fine.  I'll try to remember to get a picture of it the next time I'm over at the storage area.  When the filter material gets dirty I simply take a vacuum cleaner to it from the interior of the camper.

For those that are not too far along in the ordering/building process - the MaxAir fan can be ordered with a "smoke" exterior lid versus the standard translucent white that is normal.  There is no additional charge for this but Oliver does need some lead time since they do not normally stock it.  This darker color does help some in light transmission.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

I went over to the storage yard this morning and took a couple of pictures of the installed vent cover.  Hopefully this gives a better idea of what the finished product looks like.

Bill

nwx5hpfszytk0icpi55vdzmoedtiosi1.jpg.88ccf97308a2fa930ef0d8b25ce0648e.jpg

• Thanks 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• 5 months later...

Here's another tip for the Reflectix insulation, when you cut it to size, cut the first piece to fit behind the window latch on the fixed side of the window.

IMG_20171122_091227.thumb.jpg.41f1cc4168450d669b61c35990743c72.jpg

This way it can either sit behind the slide window, allowing the window to open over it or it can also be pulled inside more to complete the seal. Then cut the piece for the sliding side a couple inches longer so the Reflectix can become a slider itself. Cut it long enough to cover the lock.

IMG_20171122_091251.thumb.jpg.f32015c0c588db9a713f916c22d6611a.jpg

It works great and this way the Reflectix can be opened also without having to take it out to let the sunshine in :)

IMG_20171122_091228.thumb.jpg.ec491989ec1d02be99ff4eb1cb8accc6.jpg

I was brainstorming this morning and wow! It fits perfectly behind the shade and when cut to size to fit behind the shade and inside the rail, the shade holds it in place and allows the Reflectix to become a slider on its own :)

IMG_20171122_092535.thumb.jpg.bf04d94e238bf82deb1cabc84e29120c.jpg

The window shade still slides up and down perfectly over the top of the Reflectix, making the whole cold weather package even better :)

Reed

• Thanks 2

Happy Camping,

null

Nice addition Karen!

one more thing for the reflectex trick.........        it will keep you warmer.  Spent last night at the Petersburg VA Wal Mart.  Felt a cool breeze coming through the windows.  Had my back up against so it was to be expected.   Reflectex up and no more breeze.

Think it might have cut down on the noise from the TT's too.

Scotty