External waste tank tote?

geO

I'm interested in hearing if anyone has used an external tank for hauling off black/grey water waste? I like going to state parks but they seem to only have dumping stations and of course the grey water comes up in the shower pan at night...lol Any input on this would be great!

We take a tote with us, but have yet to use it with the Oliver. (We came close, but was heading past the dump station in an hour or so anyway.). Of course GI showers have to be the standard, or you could use the Million $$ SPAs that our tax dollars provide.

The totes work well as long as you put the covers on tight and don't speed over bumpy roads. You can get a cap with a hose fitting for both ends, dedicated hose (suggest not white), and don't try to overfill. You might have to make a couple trips depending on length of stay. I do carry a cap with a built in gate valve.  It can save running for a valve on the side. Remember at 8 pounds a gallon water can get heavy. That may limit the size of the tank if you have to pick it up full. We put the metal handle on, slide it over the trailer hitch and off we go. Of course some of the deluxe tanks have 4 wheels and a long handle. I don't mind it traveling in the back of a pickup, but don't think I would want in my SUV. Hope this helps

• Thanks 1

You can get 5 gallon drums with water tight lids for free at many car washes. They use them for soap and need to get rid of them weekly. I've got a bunch that I use for flotation but they are perfect for containment. I take one when needed for gray water and then dump it down a toilet.

• Thanks 1

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

geO,

This is the second try with totes for us so far with the Ollie. This set up would work with larger totes with wheels, too.

Use this 6 gallon tote with an 8' flex hose connected to the Ollie. The previous owner of our Ollie cut thin wall PVC pipe in half to cradle the flex hose and also supplied us with the 8' flex hose. Use the PVC pipe at dump stations, too.

IMG_2676-L.jpg

IMG_2678-L.jpg

Outhouse Humor :   :)

IMG_2673-L.jpg

• Thanks 2

Bill #75 LE2

• Moderators

OMG... 35 gallons? That's over 250 lbs.

Wait awhile, and discover your camping style.

Most (not all ) state parks have shower facilities. You may want to use them. A pair of shower sandals is $1 to $15. Or use your flip flops.

Using the shower is the biggest water consumer and tank filler. When we can use a community facility, we do. If you just don't like anything but your own trailer shower, look for full hookups, and use the Navy/ marine shower technique when you can't find full hookups.

Just an FYI. I hate it when people spend a lot of money on unnecessary equipment, and don't use it later.

We have a smaller tote that someone gave us. Never used.

Sherry

• Thanks 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Don't buy a 35 gallon tote... Waste of money and too heavy. I use this -

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-39463-Sewer-Hose-Connection/dp/B000BQKBP2/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1495280553&sr=8-5&keywords=camco+rv+sewer+hose+connectors

Or this actually,

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T1020-1-Black-Waste-Valve/dp/B0006N5RYK/ref=pd_sbs_263_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0006N5RYK&pd_rd_r=Y416D1EB89XV2MTVN0ER&pd_rd_w=OkYvL&pd_rd_wg=gpaeQ&psc=1&refRID=Y416D1EB89XV2MTVN0ER

41WreyQPJEL.jpg.953272f054e2f3ae62d3eaa7b57c5359.jpg

Then use my green tank flush hose to drain gray water directly into a tote that I can carry. Just put a valve on the end of the hose and make a few easy trips that won't put you in the hospital... :)

• Thanks 2

Happy Camping,

null

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Why not just hook up to the trailer and go dump, it's not going to take much longer then messing around with a tote, especially if you have to make multiple trips.

Stan

• Thanks 1

Stan and Carol

Blacksburg, VA

2014 Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi

2014 Legacy Elite II Standard  Hull 63

Our favorite local State Park where we enjoy hiking does not have a dump station. It has fine campground restrooms and showers. We use the restrooms and showers as much as possible, but use the Ollie's toilet at night to prevent middle of the night campground restroom trips and skunk encounters. Normally the 6 gallon tote is less than 1/2 full including water used to flush. I dump the tote in the restroom toilets daily keeping the tote weight low. It only takes 10 minutes to set up & 10 minutes to knock down the drain hose/tote setup daily. This is our preferred method to handle this issue.

Bill #75 LE2

Why not just hook up to the trailer and go dump, it’s not going to take much longer then messing around with a tote, especially if you have to make multiple trips. Stan

Like with Bill, maybe one dump after shower day. When we set up in a park, usually we set up for show and everything has its place. Karen announced that our trailer was open to view last night at the potluck dinner and we had a line of 20+ people that wanted to see it. After she has her decorations set up, it's easier to dump a tote if needed. There's just no need to move all of the decorations and lights then take down the awning and move the trailer for a few gallons of water. We're at the Scamp Far West, Fiberglass RV Rally in Pine Grove, California and set up to show for 5 days. This time there's hook ups but we set the trailer up the same either way. The propane tank cover is off because I'm working on it and filling a tank up in a few minutes. I'm running 32' of propane hose to the pit for the circle of people each night. And they all cooked their hot dogs over them on hot dog night also. Being the only Oliver and getting put into the spot right next to the center of all activities made it nice because we really come prepared. We smoked pork bellys for 4 hours yesterday in the Cobb to add to last night's dinner. Pulled fresh off the grill smoked pork was our addition.

[attachment file=55651]

The aftermath of last night's potluck

2 propane fire pits and people from 32 trailers all here :)

[attachment file=55654]

Happy Camping,

null

Not letting me edit a post... Disappeared again.

Happy Camping,

null

Here we go again :) So glad that I learned to save everything before posting here :)

3rd try -

Why not just hook up to the trailer and go dump, it’s not going to take much longer then messing around with a tote, especially if you have to make multiple trips. Stan

Like with Bill, maybe one dump after shower day. When we set up in a park, usually we set up for show and everything has its place. Karen announced that our trailer was open to view last night at the potluck dinner and we had a line of 20+ people that wanted to see it. After she has her decorations set up, it's easier to dump a tote if needed. There's just no need to move all of the decorations and lights then take down the awning and move the trailer for a few gallons of water. We're at the Scamp Far West, Fiberglass RV Rally in Pine Grove, California and set up to show for 5 days. This time there's hook ups but we set the trailer up the same either way. The propane tank cover is off because I'm working on it and filling a tank up in a few minutes. I'm running 32' of propane hose to the pit for the circle of people each night. And they all cooked their hot dogs over them on hot dog night also. Being the only Oliver and getting put into the spot right next to the center of all activities made it nice because we really come prepared. We smoked pork bellys for 4 hours yesterday in the Cobb to add to last night's dinner. Pulled fresh off the grill smoked pork was our addition.

IMG_20170521_075457-1.thumb.jpg.afd9c2a030b830a40fdb6ca21dcc2095.jpg

The aftermath of last night's potluck

2 propane fire pits and people from 32 trailers all here :)

IMG_20170521_075027-1.thumb.jpg.d3fd74e66a334d1e7ff57f0a0b5a29f5.jpg

Happy Camping,

null

• Moderators

Also, don't forget that there are a bunch of places (including National Forest Service camping areas) out West that allow the discharge of Grey water onto the open ground.  Where it is allowed, I always look for a ground squirrel hole or a likely bush that needs watering AND I ALWAYS ask if it is permissible prior to letting it go.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

Near us, grey water dumping is not acceptable. Out west is different.

Many campgrounds prohibit or discourage dumping portapotties , much less, totes, in toilets, because of perceived or experienced mishaps.

Im just saying, don't count on emptying your tote in a bathroom or vault toilet. They're supposed to be emptied at the dump point. Ridenfly's favorite park is more an exception, than the rule. Probably geared to a great, conscientious crowd, and , the campground has no dump point.so, they make life work. Kudos.

Around here, and most places we have camped, dumping a tote in a toilet is not a usual practice.

Sherry

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.