Trailer Storage

I store mine in the garage.  We have a 10' high door and it clears by about 6''.  Length is about 23 1/2, so it's about the same length as a full sized 4 door pickup.  Standard garages are only 20' deep.  So, you need an oversized garage with higher than usual doors, or a shop/barn.

• Thanks 3

John

"I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt."

LE2 #92 (sold),   Black Series HQ19   

• Moderators

We store ours at a local RV and Boat storage place.  It is covered and has 20a electrical service.  It has two security gates and cameras.  Just 5 miles from our house.  We would store it at our house but our restrictions don't allow that.  Mike

fkmni0q1cvr4cndyt59i0af564z1u2wz.jpg.23118d8665842c9f474bdbd2eb7cd8a7.jpg

• Thanks 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

As a follow-up note on storage:

It is so nice to have the trailer at home!  Can't stress that enough!  It means you can do maintenance or modifications as you wish and it means that getting ready to go is so nice and easy.

I've been working on ours and doing projects, such as a new countertop, new faucet, adjusting the overhead doors, upgrading the propane, installing the heavy duty suspension bushings and shackles, replacing the wheels, installing a full sized spare and many more little things. It also means we can go out and have a movie night in the trailer, spur of the moment, in the garage.  It's a silly thing, but lots of fun.

It means we don't have to winterize and it never gets dirty.  We can gradually get ready for a trip over several days if we want to, with the fridge on, wash it and get all hooked up and ready to go.  I insist on leaving before first light when we go for a longer trip.  It's so fun to get all hooked up and have the rig parked by the front door, ready to go.  We get up, grab a coffee and wander out into the pre-dawn morning with the whole adventure before us.  Then the pressure is gone and we just enjoy the adventure.  That night, who knows, we may be sitting in a hot springs, looking out the window at a wind storm or building a fire while it snows.

If you can work out a way to have it at home it's really worth it.   It even can act as a guest house for visiting friends or family.  Liye wants our Ollie just for us, but I also have a Fleetwood sticky that we use for overflow visitors on holidays.

• Thanks 2

John

"I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt."

LE2 #92 (sold),   Black Series HQ19   

Not a custom cover but I use one of these. Inexpensive, and should last a few seasons as long as you protect it from sharp corners like the bumper and solar panels. I cut up a swimming noodle and slipped it over those areas for protection.

IMG_3243.jpg.744702035b31569949ec5ee03939806c.jpg

GrayGhost

2015 Legacy Elite II Hull # 98

2020 F150 3.5 EcoBoost

• Moderators

uo75(etc),

Do a search for Calmark on this site - there is a bunch of info there about custom covers.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

Yes, I think that there are several of us who store outside with a cover.  I do not remove the batteries during winter storage, but, I do go over to the storage site about twice during the winter to uncover the solar panels for a couple of days to allow them to charge the batteries.  No real issues.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

My garage is big enough. Unfortunately, when I built the house, I didn't make the door big enough. I'd have to change the roof to get it in.

I'm thinking of having an awning installed on the side of my house. I could park a trailer under it and open up the awning then and when I leave, retract it. That would give me easy access, but $$'s.

Bruce & Vas

• Moderators

u075908,

Shame about the garage door, but if you have the room, an awning off the side would work and be less expensive compared to changing out the roof line.  Unfortunately, my "planned community" does not allow campers that can be seen from the street and my garage is not only not big enough but it is already full.  In your planning, try to allow for electric - 15/20 amp would be adequate in that you probably do not need the air conditioner while you have it in storage.

Bill

• Moderators

Our 40 year old fiberglass sailboat, and our nine year old Oliver, are exposed to the Florida sun ( or sun somewhere...) 24/7/365. Both still look great. Quality gel coat.

We do clean and wax both the trailer and the boats, twice a year, with quality marine grade products.

I think you could skip the retractable awning.

Fwiw, I bought a cover the first year ( relatively inexpensive van cover) and it's still in the bag, unused.

If you can park the trailer next to the garage, you'll get some shade part of the day, when it's in storage. Then, it's up to the wax and your maintenance schedule to protect the finish.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Thanks for the input. If we get a trailer, we'll cover the trailer. I can get awning material and build a shade cover that I put on when the trailer is parked.

http://www.outdoortextiles.com/polytex-150-rust-shade-mesh-fabric.html

I would use the house on one side. On the other side, 2 or 3" PVC pipe set in coffee cans, pipe and cans filled with concrete.

Bruce & Vas