100 item challenge

SeaDawg

• Moderators

Over the past few years, I've read a number of blogs on the original 100 item challenge. As in, living with 100 items.. no more.

One of the things we live about camping is simplicity. (Disclaimer.. don't have to count heat , water heater, wonderful shower in the 100).

At the end of every season, now ten times, I unload the camper, and anything we haven't used in the last year, does not go back in bins to be reloaded in the spring.

Our load gets lighter each year.

We're certainly not at the 109 item threshold , but we get closer each year.

For me, camping means a lot of processes are slower. Building a fire to make dinner takes time. But, it's worth it. And, that's just a small example.

Uncomplicated life actually can take more time. But, the rewards are worth it, for us. We use that time to look around, and enjoy. Especially, the stars in a non-light polluted out of the way place.

Sherry

• Thanks 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Sherry, We are getting ready to move to Blacksburg, VA in a month, and we have really gotten rid of a bunch of stuff. We had a farm auction, had the burn barrel going full blast, and made 4 trips to the transfer station with dupable junk.

As far as the trailer goes, compared to the stuff people here on the forum take, we are pretty much bare bones. Of course having Gunner, the Shepard, in the back of the Durango does put a limit on the available space for "stuff".

Stan

• Thanks 2

Stan and Carol

Blacksburg, VA

2014 Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi

2014 Legacy Elite II Standard  Hull 63

• Moderators

Stan and Carol, we wish you the best in your big move. I know that is hard., After our move two years ago

Wishing you our best,

Sherry

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

What? I am still buying things! I bought a triple Stanley tool box set today. Where is the list of 200 things? I have 500 tools I imagine. I'm feeling very down and it's all because of SeaDawg! lol

• Thanks 1

J-Rhett

Oliver Legacy Elite II (Irog)

1995 Ford F-250 x4 Turbo Diesel

Trek Bikes, Hobie Cat Kayak

• Moderators

Well, you could always call one toolbox one item... :)

Like I said, it's a goal.

I'll never reach it, either...

S

• Thanks 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

Sad to say, my tiny fly bag, weighing less than 10 kilos, has more than 100 items. But, depends on if I count socks as pairs... Toothbrush, toothpaste, mouthwash, separately ? Or one kit.

I count my hiking boots ad one pair...

Hmmmm

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderator+

I would not even try to limit myself to 100 items. Shoot, I carry more tools than that, most of which I personally never use but I tend to carry things that other folks will need and I am always ready to assist them.  During our recent Southern Utah Tour, I was able to get three different campers refrigerators operating again, tighten another's water heater annode, check an electrical problem with a portable solar system, replace a campers fuses that he accidentally blew and assist airing up tires with our onboard air compressor. I guess that's why our rig weighs in at over 14,000 pounds! But I always have what it takes to get the job done. I would not have it any other way.

• Thanks 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg