So, yet another unannounced change? Forum access from phone/tablet

• Moderators

We came home from a week trip, and i couldn't find the login. Okay, finally found it, at the very bottom of the factory dropdown....

Then, the dropdown takes me thru the entire website, where, near the botttom, i can log in, or choose forums, recent activity, etc...

Recent activity takes me to the dreaded activity wall...

Instead of recent posts. There appears to be no recent post choice, anymore, just recent topics.

Frankly, it would be really nice if these changes were announced. Ahead of time. Or, did i miss something????

Right now, i dont know how a new member could join the forum. Much less, those who travel with phone and tablet can stay within our usual perameters.

I'm just saying, if a nine year member amd moderator is frustrated after logging out, and trying to log back in, and living like most of us, on phone and tablet..... What does this mean for the rest of the world? Hmmmmm?

If you have to hunt too long, you will give up. Just saying.

Sherry

Posting on android tmobile tablet. Phone too slow.(verizon turbo 2 motorola... Both on fios home wifi)

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Just tried it on my phone. Terrible access, imo.

If I were a newbie, looking for a new trailer/RV, I'd probably give up before I got here

I already have my well loved Oliver. I'll figure it out.

Better user interface needed

Just my opinion.

For those of you on desktop/ laptops/ notebooks, had anything changed for you?

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

I will try to try the new format in a desktop or laptop tomorrow.

I don't have a top menu on phone or laptop. Just a right top drop down. With too many choices. Imo.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

And, I'm unhappy.

I'm fairly good at tech skills.

I'm upset that our board has become buried in the Oliver website page.

I am totally concerned that casual users, less skilled than you and I, may never find their way to our forum.

It's a much longer, difficult passage, now.

S

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

I'm on my iPad - hotspotting off iphone. Site is pretty much the same for me but the side menu is gone & I liked that.

I get irritated that I can't hit 'Home' and go back to the forum home page - Instead It takes me to the Oliver homepage. I generally do fairly good navigating forums & such but this doesn't make sense to me. So...now that the side menu is gone I will have to figure out how to get to all of the places it helped me get to.....why can't it be simple anymore? I know I'm getting old but if something is working, why change it?

Kathy

• Thanks 1

Clair & Kathy Reed - plus our travel companion: Emma

2017 Legacy Elite II - Hull# 245

2014 Ram 1500 3.0 V6 Eco-diesel 4x4

ALFLGAILINIAKYMIMONCOHPATNVAWVWIsm.jpg

I have this book marked and stacked on top in the Chrome Browser -

http://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/

Then I use it as the main and open new tabs for new topics or sections. Running an Android Verizon Tablet, nothing changed here except the right menu is gone that I never used anyway. I hope this helps :)

• Thanks 1

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

Ahhh..... Growing pains... The grass is always greener... I know let's try THIS...

Maybe they have an early warning system and it went off that a "BUG" was trying to get into the system, so they made it more difficult..(so no one gets bitten)????

I do miss the side bar, other than that the rest looks the same. The login is still in the same place and brings you to the same area. My bookmark to get here goes straight to recent topics, which covers all areas, and I have the keep me logged in checked so I never have to redo it, unless I log out of clear cookies for some reason.

I did notice that JWamsley was logged in a lot over the weekend, when I'd come in to read, maybe he recoded and didn't notice it wiped out the side bar and will be nice enough to put it back, don't really see a reason to have removed it purposefully, especially after they had recoded it to be smaller in actual threads.

But I guess as long as Oliver controls their own forum, it's theirs to toy with. FiberglassRV is always an option, in that case.

• Thanks 1

Randy

One Life Live It Enjoyably

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

2015 Oliver Elite II Hull #69

• Moderators

Thanks. We appreciate the explanation, and regaining the sidebar menu. I normally use the padlock icon to log in/ log out.

Traveling through the entire left-hand side menu for everything, was a huge pain.

I also understood from Matt's pm that this was a step toward a more phone/ tablet friendly interface. That will be welcomed by many of us.

Again, thanks.

Sherry

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

We're working on performance/functionality and will have something to show shortly. There is still some work left to do before we're comfortable with the release.

This will include a new forums. Better user experience and moderation tools for moderators.

• Thanks 4

Full Stack Developer/Marketing @ Oliver Companies

Oliver Forums Guidelines & Rules

• 1 month later...
We did not intentionally remove the sidebar, however it is now back and working again! That was my fault. Sorry about the confusion for the last few days!

Uh oh, the little sidebar has disappeared again... (Android using Firefox browser)

Randy

One Life Live It Enjoyably

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

2015 Oliver Elite II Hull #69