Help with sliding cabinet doors

Bshaffer

and it's me again.... :)

Anyone have any any brilliant ideas to secure the old style sliding cabinet doors?

The previous owner used painters tape. Not my favorite.

My sister suggested little suction cups towards the middle.  That will work. But I foresee lots of little circles to clean off of the mirrored doors.

I came across a vague reference to magnets but I cannot figure out where to put them.

Anyone have a solution?

Brandi Shaffer

• Moderators

Just slide them extreme right and left so the grommets meet.

Has worked for us for almost 100000 miles.

The rubber fingerhold grommets create a friction area. You will have an inch or so of cabinetry on the outside edges. Never an issue for us.

Sherry

I mean, slide the doors till the grommets overlap..

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators
and it’s me again…. ????

My sister suggested little suction cups towards the middle. That will work. But I foresee lots of little circles to clean off of the mirrored doors.

Your sliders are mirrored? I didn't remember that.

Most of our 2008 editions have smoked Plexi doors. The mirrors should really brighten up the interior.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

As for the magnets, depending on whether the edge of the door is close enough to the wall, decides whether you would use one or two magnets.

For two horizontal surfaces, attach one magnet to the fixed surface and stick the strike plate to it, then attach the other magnet to the back of the door as close to the pull hole as possible, so that it contacts the other side of the strike plate. You may want to crazy glue the strike plate to the fixed magnet.

Attaching the magnets to the surface can be accomplished using VHB tape on the back.

When selecting the magnets, these being sliding doors, you'd want the weakest possible. On my phone with the Amazon app so can't copy link, search this item

Liberty C08132L-BR-U1 32mm Magnetic Cabinet Catch with Strike, 10-Pack

Randy

One Life Live It Enjoyably

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

2015 Oliver Elite II Hull #69

I've got all those mirrored slidng doors, too. I tried all kinds of remedies and the only one that's worked so far has been little lengths of insulated electrical wire bent to go into the space between the doors. I'll try to get over to my Ollie this weekend for a photo, because I'll never be able to describe them in words.

Aubrey and the two wingmen, Woodstock & Rascal

Oliver #032, "El Huevito"

Ford F-150 4x4

El Juevito's Travels

IMG_2142.jpg.f3356ad9ece344f1741b88e0a2559928.jpg

IMG_2144.jpg.d2c11e0f1a5a5de6d26e8c118eeece51.jpg

I think I used some 14 gauge ROMEX that was hanging around. Make the 90° bend first (the rightmost bend in the foto) and then insert between the panes to get the right length for the next bend. The final shaping and the loop are easier done when removed.

The overlap of the panes were not the same throughout the trailer so I made them all to accommodate the ones with the largest overlap.

• Thanks 2

Aubrey and the two wingmen, Woodstock & Rascal

Oliver #032, "El Huevito"

Ford F-150 4x4

El Juevito's Travels