Deciding what trailer?

roguebooks

Hi. First post. New member. My wife and I decided to hit the road and see the continent. We are both sixty-three and have an English Golden Retriever named Bob. A couple days ago we traded in our Jeep Renegade for a Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4X4 (haul rate at around 6,600 lbs). Looking to find a trailer less than 20' total length and no more than 3,500 lbs. unloaded. We began our search years ago beginning with the Camp-In teardrop but never could get used to the idea of crawling in and out and having no dining area. We evolved into thinking we needed a permanent bed with a small dinette. I saw a few Scamps on the road and thought the 16' would be perfect and it had the layout we needed. But then my wife discovered the Eggcamper, but it appears poor health has forced the production of new trailers to a standstill. But then I found the Oliver Elite. And once my wife saw it she said she would have nothing else. Difficult to get anybody to return my emails at Oliver or to find out how to get one on order. We do plan on visiting their plant in about a month on the way up to our cabin in northern Michigan from our home in Melbourne, Florida. But since we bought the new truck I kept my search going for a trailer to fit our needs and discovered the new T@B 400. That trailer seems to make more sense to me but I have yet to sell my wife on the idea. I want to drive across the state to see one but it appears the 400's are sold out and all that remains are 320's (which users love) but I think they just won't fit our needs due to the lack of a permanent bed. We both feel we need the extra two-person dinette. Obviously we need help in choosing the right trailer for us and learning how to get one. We are not in a rush but I plan on having something no later than February of 2018.

roguebooks 2020 Ram Classic 1500 Warlock 4x4 Hemi V-8 2018 Legacy Elite, Hull #309  ALARCOFLINKYLAMIMSMONMOKTNTXsm.jpg

travelmap2023.jpg

Hello Roughbooks

I have the Oliver Elite built for me in 2015 with a few custom fetures.  I now have a queen sized bed , custom matress as well as the ability to convert my side dinette to a single bed.  Look under my posts in the forum and you can see my custom matress.  I love my Oliver and find it fine for my wife and myself.

If I can answer questions for you, PM me with your number and I will give you a call

Hardrock

• Thanks 1

Welcome roguebooks!

An Oliver factory tour would be very helpful for your decision making process. The first time we saw an Ollie during 2010 at a Blue Ridge Parkway campground helped make our minds up about the next camper we wanted.

We enjoyed our last camping trip to Upper Peninsula, too. Beautiful area!

• Thanks 1

Bill #75 LE2

Elite II is not an option as I would have to sell my little house or put a parking lift in the existing driveway. In other words, I will barely be able to get both my Tacoma and Elite parked together in the driveway, so adding another 3 or 4 feet is not an option.  Plus my wife insists on the smaller size. We have never pulled a travel trailer before and the three UHaul self-moving experiences in our past almost did us in. We at least need to start small and get comfortable.

roguebooks 2020 Ram Classic 1500 Warlock 4x4 Hemi V-8 2018 Legacy Elite, Hull #309  ALARCOFLINKYLAMIMSMONMOKTNTXsm.jpg

travelmap2023.jpg

Sounds like a plane and train trip to see the Escape factory. The Ollie factory I can do in July when I head to my cabin in northern Michigan.

travelmap2023.jpg

• Moderators

roguebooks - Bring your checkbook!  Two years ago I too took the Oliver factory tour.  The very first station I saw in the plant was for frame welding.  Those welds were beautiful!  I figured that if they were paying that much attention to welds that most customers would never see, the rest of the camper just had to be great.  They could have handed me a contract at that very moment and I would have signed it.  Now after a year and a half living with my Oliver, there is nothing that has changed my mind.  If any of us here can help you on this journey, please let us know.

Bill

• Thanks 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

I am expecting we will love them when we see them. I am expecting we will write a contract that very day. But until then I will keep diligent in my search and keep asking questions. I am interested now in the procedure, the process, how it all works. The quality of communication you get with Oliver. How long roughly does it take from ordering until delivery?

travelmap2023.jpg

Hello Roguebooks!

Thank you for your interest in our Oliver trailers. I do apologize for the delayed response from the sales department as we have had some problems with our telephone system and the messaging going to other departments, but it's being fixed. That said, if you will please give me a call directly, my name is Kelly Robinson and I manage the sales department here. I can provide the information you will need in order to make a well informed decision. I'm quite familiar with the Escape and other fiberglass options on the market in the event you have questions regarding comparison.

The most important thing I can tell you about investing in our Oliver is that you are doing exactly that, it's an investment that is built to last. We pride ourselves on providing excellent customer service and building a high quality trailer.

Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you soon,

Kelly

931-796-1178

• Thanks 2

I will call you tomorrow. Right now what I am most interested is in understanding the process. We plan on visiting your facility somewhere around June 28-29. I hope you will be open then. I also want to know how long from initially making the order until delivery? It would help me plan my trip to northern Michigan better. Thanks.

travelmap2023.jpg

Hello Roguebooks!

Thank you for your interest in our Oliver trailers. I do apologize for the delayed response from the sales department as we have had some problems with our telephone system and the messaging going to other departments, but it's being fixed. That said, if you will please give me a call directly, my name is Kelly Robinson and I manage the sales department here. I can provide the information you will need in order to make a well informed decision. I'm quite familiar with the Escape and other fiberglass options on the market in the even you have questions regarding comparison.

The most important thing I can tell you about investing in our Oliver is that you are doing exactly that, it's an investment that is built to last. We pride ourselves on providing excellent customer service and building a high quality trailer.

Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you soon,

Kelly

931-796-1178

Hello Roguebooks! Thank you for your interest in our Oliver trailers. I do apologize for the delayed response from the sales department as we have had some problems with our telephone system and the messaging going to other departments, but it’s being fixed. That said, if you will please give me a call directly, my name is Kelly Robinson and I manage the sales department here. I can provide the information you will need in order to make a well informed decision. I’m quite familiar with the Escape and other fiberglass options on the market in the even you have questions regarding comparison. The most important thing I can tell you about investing in our Oliver is that you are doing exactly that, it’s an investment that is built to last. We pride ourselves on providing excellent customer service and building a high quality trailer. Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you soon, Kelly 931-796-1178

... Lol... Was this a generic computer related auto-response or an accidental exact copy of your above post?... Wow!

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

• Moderators

Double post? Would you like me to delete one, Kelly?

Sherry

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

The current production time is currently running an estimated 12-14 weeks out. Please let me know if I can answer any other questions. Thank you and we hope to see you here to show you around!

Talked with Anita at length yesterday. Tentatively planning a tour for sometime around June 27. Thanks for the lead time.

travelmap2023.jpg

• 3 months later...

After veering off for the summer and looking at T@B's, the LGMax, and then a 16' Airstream Sport we are back with the 18.5' Oliver. Seems the only trailer that will perform to our needs. We watched a youtube video starring the couple with the LEII and George was complaining a little bit about the Andersen No-Sway Hitch system. He says it is very hard to hook up to if the TV and trailer are not perfectly aligned. He does not think he even needs it now that they have logged so many miles. Anyone have any advice to share?

Also, what about the inverter? I understand they are very important to have. True?

What about the factory solar package vs a mobile one? Some sales consultants believe having a mobile solar suitcase is better so you can park your trailer in the shade.

My brother wants me to get a Netgear WiFi extender N600 in lieu of Oliver's WiFi booster. What do you think?

Any other helpful experiences you can share with us would be appreciated. Getting ready to pull the trigger.

travelmap2023.jpg

• Moderators

Roguebooks - Welcome back to the world of Oliver.  Perhaps most of us here are a bit biased, but, it really is one fine trailer that does a bunch of different things well.  I'm a firm believer in weight distribution hitches.  However, simply type Andersen hitch in the "search" box and start reading.  There are arguments on both sides of the fence in this regard.

If you want to use "normal" 110 volt appliances in your camper while NOT plugged into shore power then an inverter is a must.  Note that this includes the microwave in your camper.  However, if you seldom use the microwave and do not wish to run other appliances (While NOT plugged into "shore" power) such as a coffee maker or toaster oven or ?? then you do not need it.

The Oliver solar package is neat.  I've never had a problem with it keeping my batteries fully charged even when I'm camped in shade.  Again, there are varying views on this, so, once again I'd suggest using the "search" function.

I'm not familiar with the Netgear, but, I can tell you that the WiFi booster that I have from Oliver is very nice and does what it claims it will do.

Don't forget to consider additional outlets (both 110 volt and 12 volt) - this is particularly true if you have the nightstand and if you want an outlet in the closet.  Also, consider additional hooks.  Yes, you can use "Command" hooks and place them where you would like, but there are times when the "standard" Oliver hook simply looks better - like an additional hook on the right hand side of the bathroom door to match the one that comes standard on the left.  Consider a "hatch" on the front of the propane tanks.

Good luck and have fun - this is an exciting time for you!

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

We watched a youtube video starring the couple with the LEII and George was complaining a little bit about the Andersen No-Sway Hitch system. He says it is very hard to hook up to if the TV and trailer are not perfectly aligned.

I've always disconnected the chains from the plate, to disconnect, doing this allows you to hookup the way you would a normal hitch and pull away, once out of your bad angle situation you can hook one chain, then tow it tight, straightening the system and hook up the other. Nothing says it has to be exact right from the start.

• Thanks 1

Randy

One Life Live It Enjoyably

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

2015 Oliver Elite II Hull #69

After veering off for the summer and looking at T@B’s, the LGMax, and then a 16′ Airstream Sport we are back with the 18.5′ Oliver. Seems the only trailer that will perform to our needs. We watched a youtube video starring the couple with the LEII and George was complaining a little bit about the Andersen No-Sway Hitch system. He says it is very hard to hook up to if the TV and trailer are not perfectly aligned. He does not think he even needs it now that they have logged so many miles. Anyone have any advice to share? Also, what about the inverter? I understand they are very important to have. True? What about the factory solar package vs a mobile one? Some sales consultants believe having a mobile solar suitcase is better so you can park your trailer in the shade. My brother wants me to get a Netgear WiFi extender N600 in lieu of Oliver’s WiFi booster. What do you think? Any other helpful experiences you can share with us would be appreciated. Getting ready to pull the trigger.

You won't need the Anderson No-Sway Hitch, especially on the 18.5' trailer.

The inverter? Yup we use ours daily and it's paid for itself. Randy nailed it for that answer above.

As far as the solar goes, the Zamp package that they are pawning off is really overpriced and you can get a much better system installed by a Solar company. Plus, I believe that the Elite has only 2 batteries to begin with, so you're going to want a good MPPT Solar System like the Blue Sky that many people sell complete with the shunt and IPN remote for far less then the $2800.00 high price tag that Oliver is charging for their incomplete system. Why do I say it's incomplete? Because the Zamp system doesn't have a shunt, so you can't get the complete read out on battery percentages, amp draw, etc... without one. All good quality Solar Systems use a Shunt to get the readings needed to be able to completely monitor your batteries in every way. Any system without a shunt is incomplete garbage...

I copied and pasted this from one of my other answers on the Zamp Solar. - "The problem that we are finding is that in order for an old school PWM system like the Zamp to compare with the Blue Sky or any other MPPT, is that people need to always add a 3rd pannel to make up the difference. We have found that the 320watt pannels with the Zamp controller just isn’t enough. Oliver is now adding in a Zamp auxiliary plug in Port on the side of the trailer but in reality, they need to be adding a 3rd 160watt pannel to the roof of all of the new trailers. And this is the BIG difference between the 2 types of systems. The 320watts of solar pannels ran fine and is recommended with the Blue Sky but by changing to a cheap  Zamp controller they didn’t finish the system by adding the other 160watt pannel to the roof to bring it up to 480watts, which is what is needed with a PWM system.

Either way you look at it, Oliver had the perfect system set up for the 2 160watt pannels that they put on the roof for the Blue Sky system. Now, we need to either upgrade to 3 160watt pannels on the roof, which will add that much more weight to the roof… Change out the Zamp controller  for an MPPT, which will add the weight back under the street side bed, or carry àn external ground based 160watt Solar system that needs to be set up on the ground, which will add the extra weight plus an added controller to the tow vehicle.

We have added the 100watt Solar Suitcase to our Olli and still it just isn’t quite enough to fully charge the batteries most of the time. But it adds 100 of the needed 160watts back into the system and really helps us out."

Now for you RB, with only 2 batteries and depending on the amount of extra space that you have to haul extras, maybe a mobile system will be all that you need. As you can see from my above quote, I have both systems, one on the roof and one mobile. If you go with the rooftop mount then try to get a 480watt+ system if it will fit. Also research and see if you can add batteries anywhere, maybe up behind the propane tanks. 2 batteries will be fine if it's just you but if you add in a wife, etc... you will want as many as you can get. We sold our Casita with one battery because it wouldn't run a CPAP all night and hold a charge. As far as other options go, if you are a do it yourselfer, then install the options that you want yourself. So far we have had numerous electrical issues with ours and it has all been due to poor workmanship on Olivers electricians part. Having Oliver install the options could be a good thing, but it's just not, some of their employee's really don't care about the job that they do these days. If you have read my blog, you will read about most of the issues that we have had. Now we have an electrical problem in the front jack and last night our upper cabinet lights went out. I've been working on this trailer non stop it feels like since we picked it up in February, BUT!!! I really enjoy getting to know everything inside and out, and I'm really happy that we bought our Oliver and I enjoy that feeling of fixing something and knowing that it has now been done the right way :) Like the watertank fix, the sewerline fix, the fridge fan fix, etc... Besides, it's a trailer and they will always need constant maintenance. I have a few videos also listed in the video section of my profile page, they're more technical and not just opening drawers and doors and they will give you some more insight into what you will find under the hood so to speak...

<span style="line-height: inherit;">Reed</span>

• Thanks 2

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

Rougebooks

I have a 2016 Elite. I have towed it more than 6k without a Anderson hitch.  The lighter model, the Elite, does not need a Anderson hitch.  If sway control is your concern, there are electronic units that are very good and hassle free.

Regarding the length overall, earlier models have removable tongues that shortens the length when storing the trailer.  The interior size is great and you can upgrade to a queensize mattress.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

Hardrock,

How do you upgrade to a queen mattress? I'm curious. I think our 2008 is just a little wider than a full. I've always used Queen sheets, because it's easier with the length. Not that there's a big difference in width. A full is around 54 inches, standard, and a queen is 60. The length is the big difference in standard mattresses. The nomenclature, and sizing, is all over the place in the RV world. In one class c that we delivered, my feet reached the bottom of the RV queen.. and I'm only 5' 4"

I don't know anyone with an original elite who uses an Anderson hitch. I'd certainly agree with you there. We're closing in on ten years, and 100,000 miles on our 2008.

We have 2 100 watt panels, added nine years ago, with two agm batteries, and almost never camp with hookups. But, we don't require power after dark for much.

Sherry

• Thanks 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Sherry, apologies for not answering sooner.

Look at my posting " Custom Made Mattresses"  .  I had the mattresses made specifically for the Elite.  I went to the mattress factory in North Carolina and they took measurements of my 2016 Elite.  They custom made the mattresses.  I use queen sized fitted mattress sheets.  I use single size on the dinette/bed.  the post I did gives you much more details.

I am curious.  Are you saying you have two SOLAR 100 watt panels?  Are they mounted on the trailer roof or stand alone?   I am in the process of obtaining a generator for backup.  I have about 10k and look forward to having 100k on mine.  If I can answer more questions for you, please feel free to PM me.

• Moderators

Hardrock, my turn to apologise. I haven't been on the forum for a few days.

We had pv panels retrofitted six months after we bought our Ollie. Paul had an idea that we could add two panels if we side mounted, talked it over with the Oliver staff, and since September 5, 2008, we've relied on solar for our power needs.

Here's a link to an older discussion on our setup. Near the end, you'll see photos of our setup. Also, in one of my posts in this thread, there's a link to Andrew's blog, where he used our premise and created a similar setup on his own.

With today's super insulated Oliver trailers, I'd encourage anyone even thinking about a solar future to ask Oliver to prewire. It wasn't easy on ours, and not even sure if possible with the new insulation, to do a retrofit.

Our solar

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4