New owners: how is the Quality Control of your rig? Grade it!

You all are scaring me. I am a talented carpenter who can build most anything. But I am not a trailer repair person, a plumber or electrician, I am not a mechanic. I don't do floors. I am however wiling to pay a higher price for a trailer that has been checked over appropriately and trails behind me like a good burro. It is my hope that Oliver addresses these quality control issues at their plant and also publicly here on the forum. It would make my decision to buy more comfortable and confident. I do realize there will always be a few issues to deal with and I agree when picking up a new trailer the new owner should stay in a campground nearby so everything can be worked over and out if need be.  Airstream has a lot of problems now too because of quality control. Get too big and busy and things tend to go to hell. Anyway, I appreciate all the help I get on this forum and a couple others I frequent. Planning on placing an order for a standard Ollie Elite no later than this fall but no earlier than July of 2017.

• Thanks 1

roguebooks 2020 Ram Classic 1500 Warlock 4x4 Hemi V-8 2018 Legacy Elite, Hull #309  ALARCOFLINKYLAMIMSMONMOKTNTXsm.jpg

travelmap2023.jpg

You all are scaring me. I am a talented carpenter who can build most anything. But I am not a trailer repair person, a plumber or electrician, I am not a mechanic. I don’t do floors. I am however wiling to pay a higher price for a trailer that has been checked over appropriately and trails behind me like a good burro. It is my hope that Oliver addresses these quality control issues at their plant and also publicly here on the forum. It would make my decision to buy more comfortable and confident. I do realize there will always be a few issues to deal with and I agree when picking up a new trailer the new owner should stay in a campground nearby so everything can be worked over and out if need be. Airstream has a lot of problems now too because of quality control. Get too big and busy and things tend to go to hell. Anyway, I appreciate all the help I get on this forum and a couple others I frequent. Planning on placing an order for a standard Ollie Elite no later than this fall but no earlier than July of 2017.

Don't worry :) Becoming a trailer owner or RV owner of any kind will turn you into a plumber, electrician, truck driver, garbage man or is that a Waste Disposal Technician in no time... It's all part of Pee-wee's Big Adventure :)

• Thanks 2

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

Karen here. I have TWO huge issues that make me regret paying $62,000+ and over $5000 in CA DMV taxes for my 2017 Lecacy Elite ll.

OUR WATER TANK RUNS OUT AT 44% EVERY SINGLE TIME.@#$!×%&*!$#

What I mean by that is at 44% the water from the faucets start sputtering, the water line starts shuttering and making a racket, the pressure drops drastically, the toilet water flushing is drastically reduced and if I am in the shower, hair full of shampoo and the water hits 44% I no longer have enough water and pressure to get the shampoo out and finish my shower.

Reed has to go outside everytime at 44% to raise the front end so we can utilize the last 44% of the water. This also means the trailer is no longer level and the Dometic Refrigerator is now at risk of being damaged.

It also means that when we are boondocking it drastically limits how long we can stay out or Reed has to take several trips in the car to fill up our water jugs to refill the Ollie above 44%.

TO ME THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE AND I THINK OLIVER SHOULD CORRECT THIS IN MY RIG. Our $13,000 used 2010 Casita never did this.

My second big gripe is that our kitchen drawers continue to open while traveling. This occurs on any road that has curves or bumps.  And NO, Reed is not speeding when this occurs as someone implied on another thread.

The first time it happed the drawers literally were on the floor when we stopped. Everything dumped out and broken drawers and hardware. Some drawers just had towels, others had cooking utensils,  silverware and a frying pan. Oliver sent us new drawers but they still come open even after Reed has adjusted them all. We now have to take the seat cushions, put them on the floor and stack them against the drawers to keep them from opening while we are moving.

THESE TWO ISSUES MAKE ME EXTREMELY FRUSTRATED AND WISHING WE HAD BOUGHT THE BIGFOOT. Bigfoot was my second choice becsuse I thought Oliver was better.

The 3rd issue I have is that the igniter push button on my stove no longer works. So now I have to use a lighter to use my stove. I don't blame Oliver for this,  they didn't make it. However, I need to now buy a better stove for Reed to replace.

The 4th issue is I had to recaulk the bathroom around the shower pan because it was not done properly and water and dirt kept getting in the gaps creating a hassle to keep clean.

My 5th issue is that one of the 12v ports only works intermittently, I pointed this out on day two to Oliver and they stuck a plug in it and said it works just fine. To me if you put the key in your car ignition and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't that is not fine. I use this port for my cpap because its at my head and it's frustrating as all get out when I put my mask on and it doesn't turn on and I have to keep pulling the plug out, reinsert it, wiggle it around over and over till it finally gets power again. No, it's not my cord, I know this because this doesn't occur when I use any other 12v port.

I WAS THRILLED WE BOUGHT AN OLIVER.  NOW  I AM QUITE DISAPPOINTED.

• Thanks 3

Happy Camping,

null

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Wow Karen. I am so sorry. I would be so pissed off and disappointed if this was happening to me. Hmm. I am going to do more homework. Oliver does not deserve my business when so much is wrong with their expensive luxury travel trailers. Thank you. Hope you get everything worked out. I will be following your progress.

• Thanks 1

roguebooks 2020 Ram Classic 1500 Warlock 4x4 Hemi V-8 2018 Legacy Elite, Hull #309  ALARCOFLINKYLAMIMSMONMOKTNTXsm.jpg

travelmap2023.jpg

I can understand and agree with you if I bought a used FG model for under $20,000. I would expect to make modifications and repairs. But not to a $55,000-$60,000 brand new unit.

travelmap2023.jpg

Bradbev - Sounds like a plan. At worst, we will leave Bryan at around 2:00 AM on the 4th and hope to be in Hohenwald no later than late afternoon to watch the fireworks at the campground that Oliver uses for it's customers shakedown. (We have a room reserved at the bed and breakfast the night of the 4th.) We hope to move on to another closeby state park or other nice park the second night (after receiving our "Yacht Olivia") in case we have problems beyond one day fix. (I saw previous talk about other places other Oliver family used but, can't recall where on this forum.) I also want to check everything possible before heading out west toward home. We will cut back across TN, then through AK toward Texarkana. Since I now have cat sitters, we plan on taking our time coming home. Anita scheduled our familiarization tour starting at 10:00 on the 5th.

I understand folks about all the issues they have with their brand spankin' new rig. I'm a retired Navy Chief myself and I have this thing about bad administration or QA in any organization. So far, Oliver has impressed me and I am not easily impressed. We look forward to meeting you guys.

Not sure about how to get the chat messages.

Cash - AKA Sitting Bull

http://www.shot-in-texas.com

• Moderators

Cash - in order to get or post "private messages" (or chat as you called them), click on the "Forums" tab at the top of the page.  On the drop-down menu click on "My Profile".  Once your profile page opens there will be a tab at the top that is labeled "Messages".  If you have received any they will be here and this is where you can also post your own "private message" to anyone else on the Oliver Owners Forum.

Hope this helps!

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

We have hull #211. So far we have found no problems with the product, except the license plate light I think is out. It wasn't a problem as we traveled 4800 miles on our break-in cruise, as the temp tag was in the window. Now that it is registered we will have to look in to it.

The only real problem (or opportunity) for the factory we have so far found was the color of the awning. It has what we had originally had ordered. BUT, we had put in a change order and none of it got transmitted to the production line. Jason said no problem, let us change it to the right color. When asked he said he would pull a couple of guys and they should have it done in about 3 2/2 hours. It had already started to rain and was supposed to get bad. We didn't want to set up in the rain. We also had reservations down the road later in the week. It a still irks me, but something I can live with. It seemed that I had to keep calling, checking on progress. Found too late that it was done early. Had told them when done call me. I would have picked up early. I was only called once to confirm my graphic choice, and yet that was clearly spelled out on all the orders. Seems almost like sales clerks are not following through, but that might not be fair..Some might be...

S

We took delivery on may 1 (hull #219), have had zero issues, the trl does need an incline to utilize all the fresh water, I would imagine if you talked to Jason they could figure out a way to shim the tank to help with that issue. Over all extremely satisfied.

STEVEnBETTY

We picked up on the 27th of May (haul #216) and with exception of the grey tank indicator acting funky and ill fitting upholstery everything seems to be operating well. Oh I did notice today rust pitting on both 30amp receptacles from all the rain we've had here in Alabama.

• Moderators
I WAS THRILLED WE BOUGHT AN OLIVER. NOW I AM QUITE DISAPPOINTED.

Karen, I'm sorry your Oliver experience has been disappointing.  I hope Jason and his guys can get some resolution for your problems.  Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

I talked with the guys on the floor at Oliver because they asked me if I had any ideas on how to fix the water tank problem and the solution is quite easy and pretty basic. But doing it after everything has been put in is going to be a pain because the fitting they put in needs to be removed and then the inside of the replacement fitting either machined or tapped on the inside to 3/8" pipe, so that the 3/8" pipe nipple will screw completely thru, still lock in place, and come out just inside the tank. You need an adjustable threader like pictured below, because you need to add a little extra room when machining the brass to get the right size at the beginning edge. Then it just needs a 3/8" x 90° with a short stub, modified then to fit through the hole that their 1/2" now modified pipe stub still screws in too... Then the short 3/8" brass stub after the 90° will act as the pick up tube. I looked at it last night when we ran out at 38% again... Just like tonight... And it will be a chore but it can be done... Doing it when it is being put in makes a lot more sense... I can do it in my sleep but it's still going to be working inside of an extremely confined space. I will try and film it so that it can then be passed on to Oliver.

Reed

811A_Quick_Opening_Die_Head_72dpi.jpg.4cd7ab61801b664e47f39deebda1b650.jpg

Happy Camping,

null

I talked with the guys on the floor at Oliver because they asked me if I had any ideas on how to fix the water tank problem and the solution is quite easy and pretty basic. But doing it after everything has been put in is going to be a pain because the fitting they put in needs to be removed and then the inside of the replacement fitting either machined or tapped on the inside to 3/8″ pipe, so that the 3/8″ pipe nipple will screw completely thru, still lock in place, and come out just inside the tank. You need an adjustable threader like pictured below, because you need to add a little extra room when machining the brass to get the right size at the beginning edge. Then it just needs a 3/8″ x 90° with a short stub, modified then to fit through the hole that their 1/2″ now modified pipe stub still screws in too… Then the short 3/8″ brass stub after the 90° will act as the pick up tube. I looked at it last night when we ran out at 38% again… Just like tonight… And it will be a chore but it can be done… Doing it when it is being put in makes a lot more sense… I can do it in my sleep but it’s still going to be working inside of an extremely confined space. I will try and film it so that it can then be passed on to Oliver. Reed

Just a thought, but have you actually checked to see how much water was left in the tank when the pump started sucking air? Gauges are known to be defective, if you drain the tank at that point and see how much water is actually left you can determine how accurate the gauge is. I would do that before performing surgery.

• Thanks 1

STEVEnBETTY

I talked with the guys on the floor at Oliver because they asked me if I had any ideas on how to fix the water tank problem and the solution is quite easy and pretty basic. But doing it after everything has been put in is going to be a pain because the fitting they put in needs to be removed and then the inside of the replacement fitting either machined or tapped on the inside to 3/8″ pipe, so that the 3/8″ pipe nipple will screw completely thru, still lock in place, and come out just inside the tank. You need an adjustable threader like pictured below, because you need to add a little extra room when machining the brass to get the right size at the beginning edge. Then it just needs a 3/8″ x 90° with a short stub, modified then to fit through the hole that their 1/2″ now modified pipe stub still screws in too… Then the short 3/8″ brass stub after the 90° will act as the pick up tube. I looked at it last night when we ran out at 38% again… Just like tonight… And it will be a chore but it can be done… Doing it when it is being put in makes a lot more sense… I can do it in my sleep but it’s still going to be working inside of an extremely confined space. I will try and film it so that it can then be passed on to Oliver. Reed

Just a thought, but have you actually checked to see how much water was left in the tank when the pump started sucking air? Gauges are known to be defective, if you drain the tank at that point and see how much water is actually left you can determine how accurate the gauge is. I would do that before performing surgery.

There's basically 1/3 to almost 1/2 of the tank left full of water, I looked at it yesterday and it still being almost half full can easily be seen with a flash light... Then there's the ability to only add 16 gallons from empty before it runs out the overflow that makes it a no brainier :)

Happy Camping,

null

Thanks to all the postings on this thread. My wife and I are looking at buying a Oliver. Is the issue with the fresh water tank a design flaw or an issue with hull #200? I've talked with Oliver owners previously. They have not mentioned this problem. Thanks

David and Gail

Buy used if you can.  Hopefully the bugs will have been worked out.  These issues must be related to unit volume.  Our 2015 was virtually free of factory defects.  The heater, and fridge were supplier problems.  The only gripe I had with the factory was they failed to plug in the TV to the Furion head.  Oh and they did not wire the inverter to the shunt.  That made for some interesting read outs on the Blue Sky IPN remote.

Current 2007 Airstream Classic Limited 31

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II (Sold)

2016 Ram 2500 HD 6.7i Cummins turbo diesel

• Moderators

David and Gail,

While the shallow, yet long design of the tanks results in a languid empying of the gray tank,  I believe (and hope) this is a problem unique to hull #200.  You know those drinking containers we carry around with a straw to suck on for drinking water? If the straw did not go to the bottom, we may not have access to all of that good water we carry.  It sounds like Reed and Karen may have something like this going on with #200.

Let's hope the factory sends out a top mechanic with a box of tools and "stuff" to make them whole so Karen can always get the soap out of her hair and Reed doesn't have to haul the buckets of water around all the time.

Pete

• Thanks 1

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

Spoke at great length today with Anita, sales consultant at Oliver. She called me. We discussed all these issues and she assured me all problems are taken care of by Oliver and ongoing issues are being addressed so they stop happening. But she also stated that most owners have no problems, except for the expected kinks that usually get worked out quickly. We are still planning on touring the factory at the end of June and talking about everything. I think the best advice I have seen on here so far is when picking up your new Ollie to plan on spending a night, or two, or however long it takes to get any problem you can discover worked out.

• Thanks 1

travelmap2023.jpg

There are a number of issues that have been discussed in this thread.

1) Quality Control during the trailer build, especially as Oliver has ramped up production.

2) Communication problems between the sales office and the factory.

3) Potential design flaws in the tanks.

1) Quality Control. We found only a couple of problems in our unit. One of these is a mis-aligned bathroom door latch. We returned to the factory the next day, and they spent an hour trying to fix it quickly, but were not successful. Their solution would be to dismantle and reassemble the door and frame, which they estimated would be four hours. We elected to live with it, as we had camping reservations in Missouri that night, and we needed to return home to Utah for our full time jobs. The Lesson, as several people have advised here, is to plan to spend several days nearby. We did not, and I wish we had.

We discovered several other problems after we returned home. Each time Oliver shipped us parts, and for one of the items, offered to pay a local RV shop to perform the installation. That offer shows commitment to the customer and the product. As it turned out, I was able to install things myself.

2) Communication problems. Canoe12 mentioned the problem of the awning that was the wrong color after they made a change order. We had similar issues, where we made several changes subsequent to our initial build order. These changes were listed on the revised excel order sheet the sales office emailed me, but they failed to communicate these changes to the factory. This is a Systems problem, one which I hope Oliver will address. The Lesson for buyers is to specifically ask the sales office staff to communicate these changes to the factory.

3) Potential design flaws in the tanks. I don’t think the tank design has changed between my 2016 unit and the Lukens’ 2017 unit.

Grey and black tanks. We have had no problems draining the grey and black tanks, once we learned to raise the nose of the trailer when draining. I did post about the monitor calibration for the grey tank, and how it was not really linear. My solution is to post my graph of Monitor Reading vs Percent Full on the inside of the pantry door, so I can infer a true reading. I did enough research on tank monitors before we decided on the Oliver to know that the See Level Monitor is the best in the industry.

Fresh water tank. We have not had the problems that the Lukens describe with the fresh water tank. The problem the Lukens describe will only be apparent when boondocking, and not when using hookups. On our last boondocking trip, we drained our tank to a monitor reading of probably 15-20% capacity, when we went to get more water and pumped it into the tank. I think the Lukens are describing a problem unique to their unit, and I hope it is an easy fix. Thus, in my opinion, this is not a systematic problem or a design flaw.

David

• Thanks 2

David Stillman, Salt Lake City, Utah

2016 Oliver Elite II  Hull 164    |    2017 Audi Q7 tow vehicle. 

Travel and Photography Blog: http://davidstravels.net

• Moderators
I think the best advice I have seen on here so far is when picking up your new Ollie to plan on spending a night, or two, or however long it takes to get any problem you can discover worked out.

Oliver pays for a night at a local campground.  Recommend planning on two nights - even if there are no issues it's good to have a full day to check out all the features.  We didn't get to the campground until late afternoon.  We did do some checking out, but had to have time for a nice dinner and celebratory glass of wine!  Mike

• Thanks 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

….3) Potential design flaws in the tanks. I don’t think the tank design has changed between my 2016 unit and the Lukens’ 2017 unit. Grey and black tanks. We have had no problems draining the grey and black tanks, once we learned to raise the nose of the trailer when draining…. David
If you are at a campground with full hookups, and simply raising the nose of the trailer to completely drain the gray water tank before leaving for a new destination, that may be ok, not too inconvenient. If you are hooked up to your tow vehicle at a dump station, and you have to unhitch to raise the nose to completely drain the gray water tank, then rehitch to the tow vehicle, how is that an acceptable solution?

When we are boondocking I can draw the fresh water tank down to 10-15 percent( 3-4 gallons left in tank) without having to raise the nose of the trl, it's a simple matter to raise the nose of the trl. The front jack is robust enough to raise the trl with your tow vehicle hooked up when dumping your tanks, it has a 3,500 lb capacity, you don't have to lift it very high, just above level works fine.

• Thanks 2

STEVEnBETTY

• Moderators

I think we are talking about two issues here.

1---How to drain the tanks at the dump station quickly and efficiently.

Answer: Raise the nose.  The more lift, the faster the gray tank will drain.

2---How to maximize the fresh water you have access to.

Answer: Raise the nose a little bit above level should do it. (unless your water pump pick-up point is wrong, as may be the case in #200)

• Thanks 3

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

I fixed our gray tank problem over a month ago. It would drain down to 25% because the diamond plate was bent up. Now it drains to 6% quickly, and if you're on full hook ups, leveled out, in about 10 minutes it will all drain out now to 0%.

You can read about that here at post 53462 -

http://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/reed-karens-blog/#post-53462

• Thanks 1

Happy Camping,

null

I have to say that I am shocked at the gray and fresh water tank issues, which seem to stem from the basic design of long, shallow tanks. Up until now I have classified most reported problems as isolated, minor glitches, annoying but mostly fixable. (Except for the awning color change that didn’t get done.) But these issues with the tanks, as reported by Reed and Karen Lukens, and also by geO, are deeply concerning to me. I am indefinitely putting on hold my placing an order for an Oliver.

The gray tank issue was an easy fix and something to look at when picking up your trailer. I really love ours and even though the fresh water tank is an issue, it can be made to work perfectly easy enough when being put together. Honestly, I wouldn't hold off on ordering because of the water issue because it's not a design flaw in the tank itself, it's just people not understanding how water systems are modified to make things work. The tank is already shimmed to tilt the water down and that isn't the problem. There's no pick-up tube being installed in any of the trailers and there hasn't been ever. Threading and putting in a pick-up tube is not a big deal when you have someone on hand that will make one and fit it in. I've dealt with water and steam all of my life, so to me it's an easy fix. But it's going to take some hand threading or machining to make the first one correct, then the numbers can be taken from it and it can be mass produced for each tank from there. The fact is, is that the Oliver shell is still better built than the competitions and the tanks and the way they have been put between the shells is a great design that also evens out the weight distribution.

Reed

Happy Camping,

null