New owners: how is the Quality Control of your rig? Grade it!

I think the tolerance level reduces as the price increases. Two years ago one could buy a loaded Elite II for $45000… now the same trailer is north of $60000. That’s a huge difference for the same product. Oliver should be producing Rolls Royce quality for the current price.

Now this statement is something I totally agree with. The standard Elite I model I priced was about $54,000.

• Thanks 1

roguebooks 2020 Ram Classic 1500 Warlock 4x4 Hemi V-8 2018 Legacy Elite, Hull #309  ALARCOFLINKYLAMIMSMONMOKTNTXsm.jpg

travelmap2023.jpg

• Moderators

In my experience, it is those that have been wronged (or perceived to have been wronged) that voice opinions in the strongest manner possible.  At the same time, those that are satisfied (or at least think they are) go merrily on their way without saying too much.  I've tried my best over the years to write letters of thanks and gratitude when I have received good products or service, but, am usually amazed when I hear that this doesn't happen too often anymore.  There have been voices on this Forum that have documented their displeasure at the quality and/or service received from Oliver.  And, there have been others that have praised Oliver not only for the initial quality but for the long term commitment to making a better camper plus fixing any problems that customers may have with their campers.  Rarely have I seen a company publish a public note explaining its position on this subject and then actually "do it".  Olivers are not for everyone, but, from what I've seen and heard and experienced they are the best (by a long shot) out there.  I know that I'm a happy camper even for $60,000.  No, mine is not a Rollie - not that I've ever actually owned one - but, for me, it sure beats anything else I've been able to look at.

Bill

• Thanks 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

I picked up my Elite II in March 2016. It is the first travel trailer I have owned but my parents owned two Airstreams, a couple of other riveted aluminum campers, a Class B motorhome and an Alaskan Camper. The Alaskan Camper (cab-over pickup camper) was the only one they kept for more than 2-3 years, primarily because of quality issues. My Ollie has not been completely trouble free, but the issues have been very minor.

The back to my furnace fell off after about 15,000 miles due to vibration. Easy fix that Oliver paid for. I've had issues with the drawer between the twin beds coming out when traveling and Oliver has sent the necessary parts to a local RV shop to have that issue resolved (adding a latch). I had some issues with the hot water heater but discovered that I was the problem, not the water heater.

The fact that Oliver doesn't have dealers that you can take the camper to for repairs is an issue, but I've found that the Oliver people will communicate effectively with a local RV shop if necessary.

My Elite II is a very high-quality camper. In addition, the people at Oliver have shown a willingness to provide what I consider to be incredible customer service during the 16-17 months I've owned the camper. They are always available to answer questions, provide solutions and are genuinely interested in keeping me satisfied with their product. Pick up any issue of Trailer Life and read about owners' experiences with other manufacturers. The rule in this industry appears to be that the manufacturer forgets you the minute you pull away with your new purchase.

I nearly purchased a new Airstream 27' front bedroom. Traveling with that camper would have been a very different experience for me. I think anyone considering an Oliver should carefully consider whether it's the right camper for them. The lack of a separate bedroom, the small size, etc. will cause some to decide it isn't. The small size (7' width), the robust solar capability, the two-layer fiberglass hull and other attributes will cause others to decide it is the right camper for them.

Are Olivers perfect? No, but they are high-quality and the company is still small, family-owned, and has a high degree of commitment to customer service.

• Thanks 7

Don

2020 Kimberley Kruiser T3

2019 Ram 2500 Diesel

States I visited with my Ollie (Sold October, 2019)

States Visited Map

The solar Was Robust with the Blue Sky MPPT system, but the Zamp PWM System that they started putting on this year is not... Our Renogy Solar Suitcase is now an everyday addition to keep the batteries charged up. Basically I added 100 watts to make it work under the trees.

For those who hook up in RV parks all the time, the water tank would never be an issue but... we paid the $63,000.00+ for a perfect Legacy Elite II with no known issues. This now includes the ability to only use 60% of the water that is labeled usable in the advertising. Only being able to use a little over half of the water tank is a huge issue... And one that could be so easily fixed or put in right at the factory the first time, that I'm really shocked that it's even still an issue after 10 years... I honestly don't understand why it wasn't done right the first time being that is so simple to do it right... When they asked me what I would do at the factory, I told them about running a pick up tube. This was the day that we picked up the trailer, we found out only half the water is available... and the fix is so extremely simple, that I just don't get why it hasn't been addressed before now.

We're still waiting for the phone call from Oliver giving us the OK to fix it while under warranty. It's been a little too quiet on their end...

Basically we spent the money, thinking that we were buying a ready to use trailer and ended up with a bunch of work that we have done to fix problems and we're still waiting for the call and parts to fix the rest.

Reed

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

• Moderators

Reed and Karen -

I truly am sorry for the issues that you have had with your Oliver and for the lack of "speedy" response by the plant personnel.  But, you have made your point.  If you have not already done so,  I'd suggest a letter to John and Scott Oliver.

Bill

• Thanks 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Sorry, but I'm at a loss trying to understand how it is either Olivers or Zamps fault that the solar system doesn't keep up while parked in the shade. Why not park in the sun and take advantage of the long summer daylight hours?

• Thanks 1

GrayGhost

2015 Legacy Elite II Hull # 98

2020 F150 3.5 EcoBoost

• Moderators

An alternative would be to put #200 up for sale. It would go quickly with little to no loss of investment which could then be used for a loaded Bigfoot. I hate to see unhappy and disappointed owners. There are folks out there just waiting for a used Ollie to be advertised.   Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

I'm very happy with the quality of my Ollie Elite 2.  It's not a perfect thing and I don't expect it to be, but it is excellent and it is definitely a keeper.  While being able to pinpoint a few things that are not perfect I can give a long list of things that are way beyond what I have ever seen or what I expected.   I'm thrilled with it.

As far as practical use goes, the Ollie design is far more useful than a Airstream, in my estimation.  That is not a quality issue, just a "design for actual use" issue.   Things like food storage, battery location and capacity, ground clearance under the tanks and plumbing, the ability to open the tow vehicle tailgate while connected, etc, are all better with an Oliver.  The only Airstream with a narrow body is the Bambi, but it only has a single axle.  The tandem axle Elite 2 tows extremely well. It's stable and easy to keep in a lane.

Then look at the aluminum body vs fiberglass. I've seen a number of pictures of Airstreams lately, and I passed one on the road, with hail damage.  They looked like the surface of a golf ball! Absolutely not repairable without new body panels.  Even the slightest rub against a tree branch will press in a stripe that will be permanent.

If you want to go camping in remote areas, are going to be out in bad weather or you plan to put a lot of miles on your trailer, I can't see how you can do better than an Ollie.  If you only want a luxury apartment, for the weekend, in good weather, or if you want to live aboard and be always hooked up to shore power, the AS might work better in the wide body models.  Just don't base your decision on a few negative comments about the Oliver as the AS has it's share of complaints too.

• Thanks 3

John

"I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt."

LE2 #92 (sold),   Black Series HQ19   

Sorry, but I’m at a loss trying to understand how it is either Olivers or Zamps fault that the solar system doesn’t keep up while parked in the shade. Why not park in the sun and take advantage of the long summer daylight hours?

I am parked in the sun mostly, I moved it a few weeks ago and it helped a lot but it still needs the extra 100watts to almost maintain. I start the generator for an hour maybe once a week now. After our warranty is up, if Oliver hasn't switched back to an MPPT system, I will change it out myself, probably to the Blue Sky system just to keep it like the older pre 2017 Olli models that already have the newest and best type of solar system available installed.

Personally, I'm happy with our Oliver. All trailers need work after pick up and I've been working on campers, trailers and motorhomes most of my adult life. Fixing the issues myself is not a problem, right now Oliver and all of us 2017 owners are playing the waiting game with the RV certification people to get the water tank fix approved and for the drawer parts to be shipped to them by the manufacturer.

As far as selling it goes, it never crossed my mind and I wouldn't sell it myself until all of the issues have been fixed anyway . That's just how I work and fixing it ourselves isn't the issue because that part is simple. It's getting Oliver's ok, and really the rv certification approval is the only hold up right now.

Reed

Happy Camping,

null

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

• Moderators

This week , we're in mostly shade. We don't have a suitcase solar, so, after three days, we broke out the Honda Done.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Just wanted to add our very positive trailer pickup experience here. The actual trailer orientation and pickup was very professional and informative. I did not reveal our previous RV experience and feel like a newbie would walk away very comfortable and ready for a night or two at the local RV park. We spent two nights at the local campground testing everything and going over trailer construction. The only issues we found were the screen door didn't latch which was an easy hinge adjustment and I wanted a little more chalk around the bathroom vent. On our way out of town we stopped by Oliver and the "check out" team fixed us up. They also went above and beyond working with me on what I thought might have been an Easy Start issue but turned out to be my generator issue. After leaving the factory the trailer went through the literal shake down on the road. We don't use Wt Dist hitch and towing at 70 mph including gentle swerve testing was nicer  than the little Casita a few years ago. After beating the trailer up on our Oklahoma roads we had no issues with drawers, cabinets, or even contents in cabinets and drawers. And it is so nice to have a truck width trailer again after the wide toy hauler. I also had a conversation with Scott Oliver (he brought his generator in for the team to use testing the Easy Start) and he told me about some of the quality assurance initiatives they had initiated. I am impressed with the commitment to producing a superior product and expect that any quality issues will be fully addressed for any customer but also addressed at the factory level.

• Thanks 4

Scott&Ricki

2017 Legacy Elite II Twin, Hull 225, The Bus 
2007 Tundra 
Prev: 2003 Casita, 2009 Weekend Warrior 

• Moderators
I am new to this site but have been considering an Oliver. Is the general opinion that Oliver quality has gone down?

Quality is still good. Some months ago a few trailers experienced a few issues, probably due to bumping up the production rate. Oliver addressed the issues.

One issue with having complete use of the total water volume in the fresh tank is still being worked. It is a problem if you're dry camping, if hooked up to water it is not an issue. I'm sure it affects me, but I haven't noticed even though we have boondocked for extended periods  of time.

The bottom line is that Oliver is dedicated to customer satisfaction and will go the extra mile to make things right. That's been my experience. Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

We  have hull number 178 and picked it up last October.  We brought it to Washington state and it wintered outside with only a small cube heater inside to keep things from becoming cold weather damaged.  That worked out quite well and I figured it cost about 50 cents a day to maintain constant usability, and no other winterization efforts for Puget Sound area weather.  It stayed totally dry inside and always ready for a hook up and go.  In the last several months we have taken road trips every other week and have been on some mighty rough roads.  Lots of opportunity for quality or design issues to show up.  In that regard we have nothing negative to report from our usage.

Our only real issue has been installation of wiring connectors inside the Blue Sky solar controller box.  Jason and the Blue  Sky rep. were very helpful in solving the problem.  I received a new controller and a simple reindexing of connectors instructions and accomplished the fix at home.  The solar system has been through some pretty rigerous testing since then and has been working quite well, actually exceeding our expectations.

So in summary, we highly recommend the Oliver product and hope that you continue to look into their product and processes to satisfy yourself before making a purchase decision.

The Kegebeins

• Thanks 3

George and Gretchen

Gig Harbor, Wa.

Hull Number 178

I personally can not recommend the 2017 Legacy Elite ll at this time. We picked our's up in Feb. 2017.

The quality control is poor, our drawers fall out while on the road and require us to prop them closed with the seat cushions.

Our propane cover does not fit correctly and the support bracket fell off. I had to recaulk the shower pan because it was not done correctly and collected water in the grooves. We have multiple stripped screws. Our bathroom water faucet chrome is flaking off and does not have a shut off valve. Our USB port cover broke. Our wiring is a rats nest inside the ports. Our kitchen counter and table were installed unlevel and can not be leveled.

Our solar panel system was downgraded for 2017 as well.

At 44% our water looses pressure, rattles the pipes and requires the trailer to be raised at one end to access the rest of the water which sucks if you are in the middle of a shower with soap in your hair when it hits 44% and you have to go outside and raise the trailer. This was not disclosed to us when we wrote a check for $63,000.  This also in turn makes the refrigerator not level which is a requirement by Dometic for the the refrigerator to run properly. What is disturbing to me is since Feb, 2017 when we picked ours up, Oliver continues to knowingly sell defective trailers with this water defect to new customers.

We want to love our Oliver and be proud to own one but at this time how can we? If we were to try and sell it we would have to tell prospective buyers the drawers fall out in transit, the water runs out at 44%.

I thought we were buying the best but it is not at this time and we are dissappointed they sold us a trailer with known water tank problems that they did not disclose to us. I think its ridiculous for people on this forum to get mad at us for telling the truth about our experience.

Karen

Happy Camping,

null

• Administrators
Two years ago one could buy a loaded Elite II for $45000… now the same trailer is north of $60000.

Now this statement is something I totally agree with. The standard Elite I model I priced was about $54,000.

The standard Oliver Legacy Elite Model starts at 46,500 - http://olivertraveltrailers.com/trailers/legacy-elite/

The standard Oliver Legacy Elite II Model starts at 49,900 - http://olivertraveltrailers.com/trailers/legacy-elite-2/

Hopefully this helps to clarify starting prices for our two models.

Full Stack Developer/Marketing @ Oliver Companies

Oliver Forums Guidelines & Rules

• Administrators

Hi Karen,

Today I spoke to Scott Oliver and his understanding was that some of these issues were already resolved and the others were in the process of being taken care of. He would like to speak to you personally, please give him a call at your earliest convenience, you can get his number from Jason Essary.

Full Stack Developer/Marketing @ Oliver Companies

Oliver Forums Guidelines & Rules

Two years ago one could buy a loaded Elite II for $45000… now the same trailer is north of $60000.

Now this statement is something I totally agree with. The standard Elite I model I priced was about $54,000.

The standard Oliver Legacy Elite Model starts at 46,500 – http://olivertraveltrailers.com/trailers/legacy-elite/ The standard Oliver Legacy Elite II Model starts at 49,900 – http://olivertraveltrailers.com/trailers/legacy-elite-2/ Hopefully this helps to clarify starting prices for our two models.

My standard Elite I quote was based on our required options. Point being that though the trailers are fantastic they are not inexpensive. Hard to argue that point.

• Thanks 1

roguebooks 2020 Ram Classic 1500 Warlock 4x4 Hemi V-8 2018 Legacy Elite, Hull #309  ALARCOFLINKYLAMIMSMONMOKTNTXsm.jpg

travelmap2023.jpg

I think its ridiculous for people on this forum to get mad at us for telling the truth about our experience. Karen

Hey Karen, I for one am not mad at you, I agree 110%. Some folks at Oliver are obviously upset at the public responses here about QC, but they should knuckle down, hire capable workers, train them well, and just fix the darned issues without delaying too long.

Not fixing the fresh water problem for a decade is crazy bad PR IMHO.

I plan on keeping Mouse indefinitely since there is nothing out there that is better, but I don't like having to fix the factory mistakes and goofs. No way.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

Karen,

In our 08 , when the guage says empty, we're empty. Trust me . We dry camp most of our travels.

We refill from a 40 gallon bladder, with a five gallon container leftover.

I know it requires patience, but there will be a fix . For you.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

I'm also wondering about the build difference in the early legacy and the newer ii .

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

My take on the quality of our Elite ll is outstanding! Is it absolutely perfect no, but I never expected anything hand built by man to be perfect. We were in Hohenwald last week to get some minor issues addressed and the staff took care of everything promptly and efficiently. I realize not everyone has the luxury of returning their camper to Hohenwald for every little issue, but when I first called Jason about an issue, his first response was to try to talk me through it, and if that didn't work take to someone who could fix it. I guess the point I'm trying to make is they go above and beyond to try to make things right. I didn't get the new suction tube installed in my water tank at this time but I was assured that the "fix" is forthcoming, and I believed them!! One of the engineers informed me it will be an easy fix that most fairly competent repairmen can perform on their own, or they will take care of it through outside vendors, but he assured me it will be fixed.

• Thanks 3

STEVEnBETTY

I am new to this site but have been considering an Oliver. Is the general opinion that Oliver quality has gone down?

After putting many miles on two Legacy Elite ll's, it is my opinion that the quality has gone up, not down. Sorry to disagree but, we have been on two long trips with our current trailer, and we have had only a few minor issues and nothing that the Oliver people haven't quickly addressed while under warranty. Recently while on our way home from the west coast, we stopped in Hohenwald to have the bearings greased and a couple of other minor out-of-warranty issues addressed. We had the opportunity to see some of the new Olivers and we were impressed.

As far as the problem with the fresh water tanks and leveling: Although I'm not anal about leveling, I do try to get the trailer mostly level side to side, but I've always had the trailer slightly higher in the front. No one has ever told me to do this, but I've always just thought that would be better for draining the shower and we've never had an issue with the fresh water tank. Also having the trailer slightly higher in the front is not noticeable to us while in the trailer. We have never had an issue with the refrigerator, so I assume that it doesn't hurt the fridge.

• Thanks 6