Nature's Head composting toilet installation in an Oliver. Big thread.

I have no desire to transport and manage black tank raw sewage.

Neither did we (one reason we went with the Nature's Head).

Here is something you may want to consider. Since we wanted to dump the gray water (responsibly) when boon docking and at an RV park so that we wouldn't be limited on our water usage (sometimes we decide even shower at an RV park in the Ollie), we bought a gray (colored) garden hose and used these two adapters:

Camco Durable Sewer Cap with Hose Connection

Camco 3" & 4" Easy Slip Gray Water Sewer Hose Seal

• Thanks 1

Onward through the Fog!

EarthPicks of Cochise County

AZCACOKSMONVNMORTNTXUTmed.jpg

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There are a number of threads asking about this toilet. I hope we can gather up a lot of the talk here in one place. I think there has been one other installation in an Ollie but there have been NO pu

If you read those articles I linked to and talk to people who have these, it doesn't seem quite so alien. My wife had pretty major reservations, but she has come to accept it, if not exactly embrace t

How to inspect and clean the TWO vent air filters.   Yes, there are two, one at each side opening. It is really easy if you do this when the toilet is removed for servicing and cleaning. I set mine

Posted Images

What do folks do to empty the pee container when parked for a month at an RV Park? Empty it in the bathroom sink? Empty it in the bathroom of the RV Park? Something else?

The best thing if you don't have hookups is to dump it down the toilet in the bathroom. I wouldn't recommend the sink just because of the gross factor. If you do have hookups you can dump it down your shower drain and rinse out your shower.

If you do have hookups you can dump it down your shower drain and rinse out your shower.

I would not recommend dumping urine into your gray water tank. I'm thinking that odor could be an issue, as well as urine solid build up. You can dump it directly into the sewer inlet at your RV hookup site. We have done that a few times, but you have to be careful not to spill outside of the inlet. A large funnel could help with that. I agree that dumping it in a sink at the RV park would not be appropriate. (I like the suggestion of carrying the urine container in a bag of some sort if one is embarrassed about carrying the translucent container through the park.)

Here is another good place to look for solutions to issues with the Nature's Head composting toilet: Gone with the Wynns.

Onward through the Fog!

EarthPicks of Cochise County

AZCACOKSMONVNMORTNTXUTmed.jpg

• Moderators

Just dump it in the campground toilet.  Everyone quickly loses shyness over that sort of thing when camping - just get a tote bag to carry it in so it's not totally obvious that you're carrying a jug of urine around.

Snowball • 256 • 2018 Ford Raptor

• 1 year later...
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Jairon said:

John, do you have a link for that trash can? The fit looks about as good as one could possibly hope for.

I don’t, let me poke around in my records to see where I got it. It wasn’t Amazon. It is similar to this one, maybe an earlier version. I have had it for four years. 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Home-Zone-5L-Small-Trash-Can-With-Lid-And-Foot-Pedal-Removable-Bin-Stainless-Steel-Garbage-Can-Oval-Waste-Basket/666807586

It works fine, you can operate the lid with your left heel when sitting, or while standing you can use your right toe or reach behind with your hand and lightly push down on the rear hinge. All these will pop it open.

EDIT: I can't find a purchase record, that is weird because I keep everything.... Sorry, I came up empty.

John Davies
Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Thanks 1

"Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II NARV (Not An RV) Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 33" LT tires, airbags.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/20/2017 at 5:47 AM, John E Davies said:

Thanks for the kind words. See the second picture down from the top of Page 1. There is a significant lip around the seat part, under the lid, that keeps shower water out. You are correct, you want to keep the compost damp, but not drippy wet.

Unfortunately, as I noted, there is nothing to keep shower water out of the hollow that the pee tank sits in. So when you are done washing, you can either leave that water sitting there, lift out the tank and dry the parts, or drill a couple of holes in the bottom of the receptacle .... NOT the pee tank itself, LOL. I plan to do the latter, but I keep forgetting.

I suppose that you could fabricate a rubber seal around the top, but that might make removing and reinstalling the tank harder.

John Davies

Spokane WA

John,

Thank you immensely for sharing your knowledge about the NH toilet.  My wife and I have ordered our Ollie and are planning on the NH toilet, but we are concerned about keeping the compost dry while taking a shower.  You describe that water getting in under the toilet seat isn't a problem, but what about water getting in at the interface between the upper section and the lower section of the toilet?  I am talking about the interface that is near the latch brackets that allow you to remove the upper section of the toilet.  Do I need to worry about water seeping in through this interface?

I am very interested in your guidance because Oliver has impressed on us the importance of getting the shower curtain option with our NH toilet, but we both dislike the curtain option and would rather not order it if we can do without it.

Thanks in advance for your help.

George Gonzalez

3 minutes ago, Gonz said:

John,

Thank you immensely for sharing your knowledge about the NH toilet.  My wife and I have ordered our Ollie and are planning on the NH toilet, but we are concerned about keeping the compost dry while taking a shower.  You describe that water getting in under the toilet seat isn't a problem, but what about water getting in at the interface between the upper section and the lower section of the toilet?  I am talking about the interface that is near the latch brackets that allow you to remove the upper section of the toilet.  Do I need to worry about water seeping in through this interface?

I am very interested in your guidance because Oliver has impressed on us the importance of getting the shower curtain option with our NH toilet, but we both dislike the curtain option and would rather not order it if we can do without it.

Thanks in advance for your help.

George Gonzalez

John,

This is the interface I am worried about through which water may seep into the compost.

IMG_1907.thumb.jpg.812d41f9afe9b8ad187a7d89710d5909.jpg

Water can get there, but if you manage humidity in the Oliver it isn't a problem.  I've showered sitting down on the closed toilet and it hasn't been an issue.

2019 LE2 #529.   Standard Floorplan.

2020 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax

That bottom joint has a massive rubber gasket, if kept clean of debris it can’t leak. Even if it did, it would not matter since it is OK to introduce a little fresh water in there. Urine is a whole other thing, that is bad. When parked long term I usually have to run half a cup of fresh water from the sink faucet down into the coir every few weeks because it starts to dry out on top when not in use. But I live in a semi-arid climate. It may not be an issue where you live, but it will be if you visit the desert west.

You do not need a shower curtain, but you will need to always rinse and then dry the walls after the last person showers, and also the floors, including behind the toilet. I use a California Water Blade followed up by a towel.

And thanks for the kind words.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Thanks 1

"Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II NARV (Not An RV) Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 33" LT tires, airbags.