Screen door guard

Mainiac

Had a pet paw the screen door in an attempt to join us. Oops. It did rip the screen. Solution (hopefully) is a guard. Looked at the RV catalogs and they wanted $80. Next step..build one.

A piece of expanded mesh cut to size. Plastic edge with mitered corners. Edges "glued" on with silicone caulk. Now waiting for the caulk to 'cure'. About $25. Next step, mount to the door.

• Moderators

Assume that you thought about that "screening" that is "pet proof" - I think that is stronger and is a bit elastic.  However, I like the idea of fabricating a solution.  Any pictures?

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Not sure what I could 'zoom' in on. Basically on the inside of the cover is a little nub sticking up, with a star shaped hole in it. That hole is designed to take a screw. We used a SS screw so it wouldn't rust. We made the, as you called it, leash out of  some paracord (it was actually a piece of what looks like thin camping clothes line). We cut it on an angle and fed that through the crimp on electrical connector. We fed it through until there was a quarter inch sticking out the other end. We crimp a connector on both ends and then light (or melt) the cord so it doesn't pull out. One end goes on the cover, the other over a screw holding the port on. Another locking nut holds it on. The screw and nut are a little loose so that the connector can swivel. I can take a picture if you like, just what to focus on?

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

Thanks!  A description is worth a thousand pictures/words.  I'm always looking for things that will simplify jobs and/or automatically keep me from having to remember something.  Now I will not have to remember to replace that cover since it will be attached.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Thanks. I figured the bright purple cord would stand out enough to "remind" me to put the port cover back on. Also the plan was to have it where I knew where it was. "Where did you put the hatch" is no longer heard...

Found three complete sets of 30/15-15/30 adapters when we got home and organized. Knew we had plenty...

• Moderators

I just mentioned to a prospective Oliver buyer today that you had given me a 15-30 adapter and that it was the first time in 20 years that I had run into the problem.  Moral of the story - either make sure that you have it on hand OR make sure that you are in the company of a very nice and generous person that will give you one.  Thanks one more time for coming to my rescue.

Bill

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
Thanks. I figured the bright purple cord would stand out enough to “remind” me to put the port cover back on. Also the plan was to have it where I knew where it was. “Where did you put the hatch” is no longer heard… Found three complete sets of 30/15-15/30 adapters when we got home and organized. Knew we had plenty…

I guess that the gaping hole in the front of you propane cover would not have been a sufficient enough reminder?  Just kidding!  Your idea keeps that cover from falling off into the dirt and keeps it right at hand so its easy to put back on.  I did mine today - but - used a white cord.