Wiring Connections: low voltage fundamentals

Most owners will run into a situation where they need to repair a broken wire or faulty circuit, or want to add a completely new one, for a pantry light, a backup camera or perhaps a charging port. Being able to make electrical connections in a safe and secure way is critical. If you understand the fundamentals, it is easy to select the correct tools and supplies to do the job the right way.

This is a fine reference for low voltage automotive wiring ..... It is NOT AT ALL appropriate for 120 volt ac residential type wiring. I selected Reader View on my iPad, which neatens up the formatting and removes ads, then saved it as a pdf.

http://www.musclecardiy.com/automotive-wiring/fundamentals-of-automotive-electrical-connections-and-connectors/

This applies to homebuilt aircraft, but it does provide some good insight into what works and what doesn't

I hope this proves useful.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 4

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

In my opinion, the most important part of John's post is contained in his first paragraph.  "Being able to make electrical connections in a safe and secure way is critical. If you understand the fundamentals...".  If one chooses to repair or add or modify virtually any system (to include the electrical system) a basic understanding of the fundamentals of how these systems work in critical in order to be safe.  Not only should the connections be safe and secure, but, these connections should also be made in a manner that is safe and secure with regards to the entire system (i.e. don't overload circuits or tape into circuits that are voltage critical, or ...).  In other words, if you do not understand electrical fundamentals and have at least a basic understanding of how the electric system you are working on is constructed, ask for help!  It is simply not safe for both you and the systems you are working on to do otherwise.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Bill, thanks for clarifying. There are people who will attempt a job without a clue about the process. These references will get them headed in the right direction for a (hopefully) good outcome.

There are many people who should never be allowed to touch ANY tool, and there are those whose background and temperment let them do sophisticated modifications, safely and professionally.

It's up to the individual Ollie owner to evaluate his position in this hierarchy! Sometimes you just need to suck it up and ask for help.... or take the trailer to a shop. Unfortnately, there is no guarantee whatsoever that a shop will do it right, and if you are clueless about correct techniques, how could you even evaluate their work? .... You can't.

So, learning a little about how to do this stuff yourself might be prudent.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• 1 year later...

Someone just shared this on airforums and I thought I'd pass it along here too.

"Victron has just released a new book called "Wiring Unlimited". I hate to use the term "ultimate", but this is the ultimate reference book for anyone wanting to do electrical work on their RV. You can download a copy at:"

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pdkngditufe0zfb/Wiring%20Unlimited.pdf?dl=1

• Thanks 4

Randy

One Life Live It Enjoyably

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

2015 Oliver Elite II Hull #69

That Victron booklet would have been a really valuable resource when I was putting my system together.  A lot of that information they've had available before, but not in one publication.  It took me a while when I was first getting going, searching through their website, downloading everything I could find, and then reading through it all to find what was relevant.  This booklet would have saved hours of time, and quite a bit of nervousness, wondering if I had all the info I needed.  I think this will be my weekend read - I've already spotted a few handy bits of knowledge.