Planning to Make the Plunge

Davidgail

Hi everyone,

My wife and I live in Missouri. We're plannning to retire in the coming months/year. We love to camp in our Casita but are looking to upgrade in quality and size. We are planning to order an Elite II - Twin Bed Standard with the options below. Do you have any advice on whether those items are worth it or whether I should add additional items? Any info you could provide would be helpful. Thanks.

Cushion color: Ascot

Flooring: Canyon Aspen

Mirrored Finish Cabinet

Fiber Granite (Dakota Black Gel)

Wingard Omni HD Antenna

AGM Trojan 6v batteries

Truman Aquago Tankless Water Heater

Two KTT Talalay 6 Latex Foam mattresses

Dexter EZ Flex Upgrade

Sideways 2-burner stove

Wilson 4G Cellphone Amplifier

Rear View Camera

Four reading light package

30lb Propane Tank Upgrade

Propane Quick Disconnet (front and back)

320 Watt Solar Package

Large-Xantech Power Inverter/2000W

Generator Quick Disconnect

Andersen No-sway Hitch

Addition outlets

Surge Protector

Storage Basket

Hitch for bike rack

• Thanks 1

David and Gail

• Moderators

David & Gail - I'm guessing that you might get some argument as to the additional cost of the on demand water heater but the only thing that I really saw was that you plan on the cell phone booster but are not planning on the WiFi booster.  Obviously WiFi is a bunch cheaper than cell when you can get it.  You might also have a discussion with the sales staff about extra interior hooks and the "porthole" on the front of the propane tank cover.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

David and Gail, good list of options, you won't be disappointed with your new Elite II or with the Oliver company.

We got pretty much the same options, expect for those that weren't available when we ordered in 2015 (Dexter, tankless hot water, rear view camera).  We did not get the wifi booster either because wifi at campgrounds is usually saturated and even if it is boosted will still be frustrating.  We use our phones as hotspots with the cell booster and have been happy (we've even streamed NBA games with good results).

Agree with Bill on other extras.  The port for the propane is handy.  Extra hooks are good, or you can go with on command hooks (we have several).  We also added 110v outlets near the beds and one in the closet for a hand vac that we keep plugged in.  We have a USB outlet on the nightstand to charge our phones at night.

We sure enjoyed camping at Table Rock State Park last year!  Mike

• Thanks 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Hi Dave & Gail, depending on your tow vehicle, I don't see a need for the Anderson hitch. Another 115vac outlet to the right of the kitchen would be a priority for me; either under the switch pannel, or below it or on the right side of the kitchen stove cabinet. Other then that,  ask them about new options that aren't mentioned in the paperwork like the fold down TV mount. Also, since you're getting the wifi booster, have them mount it above where you will be using it the most. It comes standard at the kitchen table but if you want to use it in bed then it will need to be mounted in the rear, over your head. You need to be within 3' to get the most out of it.

• Thanks 1

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

While ours was used when purchased, therefore no ability to choose options, I will say our street side awning is used quite a bit. A lot of people will say they'd never use it and that may be the case, but having it and not having to worry about which way your parking to enjoy covered seating is quite nice.

I myself wonder about the front basket, don't get me wrong I like it and you know how you camp, but between the solar and AGM batteries, if it's just for a generator you might find it actually becomes for a cooler.

Good list otherwise, we've got the cell booster and have used it a lot, also have the wifi and have never used it once. Truma is good if you do hookups, so if your water is endless then it might as well be hot too.

Personal preference - AC/DC fridge, no propane.

• Thanks 1

Randy

One Life Live It Enjoyably

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

2015 Oliver Elite II Hull #69

I would add an acess door under the porch side twin bed to provide easy acess to the water pump values for boondocking without having to move the mattress and an access door under the night stand to access the rear of the basement storage compartment.

• Thanks 1

Yvonne & Doug

2017 Legacy Elite II, twin bed

Hull #223

2017 Ford F-250 Lariat, crew cab

What we use is the suction hooks. You hold them firmly against the wall, screw down the knob. Done. Don't like them there, unscrew and move. They are available online, Bed Bath, Home Depot. Of course there are Command strips.

• Thanks 2

• Moderators

With regards to the placement of the hooks - on the Elite II it is standard for one hook to be placed the the left of the bath door (as one looks into the bath from the kitchen) and another hook placed in the kitchen area.  An optional hook placed to the right of the bath door is much more useful for towels, dry cloths while bathing, etc.  Other uses for additional hooks are just inside the main entry door on the left (as you enter) for a garbage bag, dog leash, etc. , at the rear above the storage areas - to be used for hanging clothes while sleeping and/or for a clothesline, above the interior dinette seat for hats, garbage bag, etc., and in the kitchen area for stuff.

If I were you I'd consider the additional hook outside the bath - just for its usefulness and for cosmetic reasons and then wait to decide on other(s) hook(s) until after you have used the camper for awhile.  You can always add these later and/or use either suction cup hooks or Command hooks.

Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Hi David & Gail...Welcome to the Oliver community!

We will be picking up our Oliver next month so I can relate to your excitement. Your build sounds very similar to ours. I'm like you, hoping we have chosen wisely.

I opted to custom order my cushion fabrics (because we travel with a dog) & we tend to be hard on fabrics. Heather provided the necessary yardages & we had our fabrics shipped directly to the gentleman that does their upholstery. We also decided to mix our countertops after seeing an Ollie at the rally. We are going with standard countertops in kitchen, under microwave & under the pantry & fiber-granite on the bedside table, on the dinette table & in bathroom. The only reason we put it on the bedside table was to prevent water damage to the standard wood top, since my hubby (Clair) keeps a water glass by the bed. Clair wants to put a stainless steel countertop in rhe kitchen eventually. I'll be excited to see that happen!

From what we saw at the rally in May you can do all kinds of creative things to personalize your Ollie. The fun is just starting for us!

Smiles...Kathy

Clair & Kathy Reed - plus our travel companion: Emma

2017 Legacy Elite II - Hull# 245

2014 Ram 1500 3.0 V6 Eco-diesel 4x4

ALFLGAILINIAKYMIMONCOHPATNVAWVWIsm.jpg

• Moderators

Since I'm not a home decorator nor have I ever had a choice in where things like outlets were placed, I found the whole process of making all these decisions the hardest part of getting my Oliver.  I kept telling myself that most of these items could be added later if necessary, but, the perfectionist in me wanted it done right the first time.  In the end it all came out well, but, there are still new options or new mods that someone smarter than me has thought of that makes me want to keep working on Twist.  Perhaps, for me, that is all part of the experience and makes the whole deal even more fun.

I'm excited for both of you - keep us posted on your progress.

Bill

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have used the suction cup with great success. First I wipe the surface with denatured alcohol ( to remove any mold release agent) then put on the suction cup and tighten them down. Have never had one release on it's on yet. We have a spokesman certainly rack over the stove, a caddy in the bathroom, hook in the kitchen, and a double hook outside the bathroom door. Have used Command strips for light things...