Mis-matched spare wheel

There is just over 3000 miles on my trailer. Today I lubed the shackle bolts, readjusted the wheel bearing nuts (all were very slightly loose), retorqued the shackle and ubolts (most ubolt nuts were slightly loose, two were _really_ loose), and cleaned and waxed both sides of the wheels.

I was planning on rotating my spare along with the four main tires, but the wheel is different.

Mains are 16x6, ten holes.

IMG_1969.thumb.jpg.f254feba608df4d4c0a33a3883e43322.jpg

Spare is 16x7, twelve holes.

IMG_1968.thumb.jpg.0c59c83016bbaa242816cbd1e9d89090.jpg

The back sides are machined differently, tho that doesn't really matter.

Has anyone encountered this? Is this an Elite wheel? I have emailed Jason, asking for a replacement.... I will update what happens. Thanks.

John Davies

Spokane WA

IMG_1967.thumb.jpg.cafda500fb8acc0d6b7a6369aee11140.jpg

IMG_1966.thumb.jpg.0fde2aa5284712d2a6c3b784ddf77dfb.jpg

• Thanks 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderator+

John, aren't the two "inside" pics the same?

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

John, aren’t the two “inside” pics the same?

You are too fast! I caught the error and fixed it just now...

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

John,

The only difference on mine was a different size tire, but identical wheels.  Are your ties all the same size?

I think you have the EZ Flex setup, is that right?  Looks to me those may need Locktite on the pin nuts.

John

John

"I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt."

LE2 #92 (sold),   Black Series HQ19   

John, The only difference on mine was a different size tire, but identical wheels. Are your ties all the same size? I think you have the EZ Flex setup, is that right? Looks to me those may need Locktite on the pin nuts. John

Tires are identical Michelin LTX.

I don't think the EZ Flex hardware requires any extra loctite. If you did, and checked torque later, it would disturb the grip of the epoxy. All but one of the shackle  nuts was dead tight. One rear nut just squeeked and shifted a fractional amount.

The shackle nuts are strong self locking (with staked indents). The ubolt nuts on the axles are plain with no lock washers. It was those nuts that needed retorquing.

CAUTION: If you check the shackles, attempt to tighten the nuts, not the heads. The heads have serrations on the shank that bite into the steel hanger and those must not be damaged. You can hang a big wrench on the head but don't turn it. Always turn just the nut.

I strongly recommend checking this stuff, and the coupler bolts, at 3000 miles, and if any are at all loose, recheck again at 6000. If a fastener continues to loosen there is a problem that should be fixed. Don't just keep tightening it.

John Davies

Spokane WA

That’s very odd. Personally, I like the look of the spare wheel a bit better.

LOL, I agree, but somehow I don't think the factory will send me four new wheels to match the spare.

John Davies

Spokane WA

LOL, the plot thickens.... I have been informed that the ten hole wheel has been discontinued, and only the twelve hole wheels, with or without rivets, are available. To Be Continued....

Dedroll, I am glad you are getting some entertainment out of this. ;) There will be a short multiple choice quiz when this is settled.

John Davies

Spokane WA

John,

Before you get too wrapped up on the looks, or twelve holes vs ten, or fake rivets or not, look at the wheel specs.  Load rating and max air pressure on both styles.   You might also look at the fit of each style with respect to the width difference and possible offset difference.   Mount each one and measure the clearances front and back.  Decide if you like 7" width more than 6" width, etc.

Look at the recesses around the lug nuts to discover the clearance for the lug wrench Oliver provides, or if a special socket is required.  Compare the stem location on each one.

To me, functional design is more valuable than minor appearance differences, and now is your chance to get the best one.

John

"I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt."

LE2 #92 (sold),   Black Series HQ19   

• 4 months later...

Updating an old thread.

I eventually received a replacement 10 hole wheel with mounted tire, and returned the 12 hole one to the factory using their prepaid shipping label. At the time the 10 hole ones were "unavailable" but the one they sent me appears to have been taken off a rolling chassis or trailer since it had been mounted to a hub and had white fiberglass dust on the tire tread.

Good job on this one! It looks as if they took the extra steps to get me a proper wheel. I sure hope it didn't delay the delivery of somebody's trailer.....

John Davies

Spokane WA