Convection microwave?

Can anybody bring me up to speed on these and their use in an Ollie? We have one at home and my wife has successfully baked really good bread in it, so she wants to be able to do stuff like this in the trailer. She is a fanatical baker, she has not done much with the convection microwave, and wants to learn.

I have told her that using that much power for twenty minutes straight is likely not practical off batteries, but it should be fine when plugged in or when running the generator, off straight 120 VAC (not off the inverter).

Any comments, warnings, recommendations, or guidelines?

Would anything be needed in the way of heat insulation, inside the cabinet?

I would prefer a unit that is a physical match for the installed microwave, with no need for trim kits or other extras.

Thanks for your help, i am hoping for fresh baked bread, biscuits or whatever in the mornings....

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Hi John, I too wanted a convection oven. When I toured the factory in January, I asked about swapping the microwave with a convection oven. Anita said a convection oven needs a lot more ventilation and so the spot where the microwave is wouldn't be large enough for a convection oven. She said to have one would take a whole new model for the trailer. She made it sound like it wasn't even something they were considering for the future.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

This conversation has been going on for a number of years now with many people wanting a convection.  The Oliver answer has always been the same - the is simply not enough room to allow for one and meet all standards without a significant design change to the Oliver.  Therefore, the answer has been to seek other methods - dutch ovens, electric toaster ovens, etc.

Bill

• Thanks 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

I am not a fan of microwaves at all.  I have been looking at the Breville convection toaster ovens.  They weigh about 23 pounds.  I doubt it would work inside the space where the microwave is in an Oliver, but perhaps could be stored there when not in use.   It is the route I plan to go so that baking/broiling will be an option.

• Moderators

HMD - Assume that you are aware that the Oliver can be ordered without the microwave.  That space could then be used to store your oven and Oliver will give you a credit for the microwave that is not installed.

Bill

• Thanks 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"