DIY Outdoor Shower Enclosure?

ShallowGal

My husband has a problem with modesty - he isn't. He's a really big guy (6'4" 300+lbs) & doesn't plan to use the indoor shower. I've searched & found a few DIY shower enclosures for the outside of RVs but am hoping one of you have seen or invented one that will work on an Ollie. I'd prefer to not need to drill into & attach something to that beautiful body & obviously, would like it to take up as little space as possible. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Chris & Duke Chadwell
🐾Maddie & Baxter🐾
Elite II Hull 292
2022 F-250 Lariat 7.3 Godzilla 4x4 Lakeland,FL

I met a couple of women from the Netherlands at Canyonland National Park last summer. They rented an RV for an extended trip around the Western U.S. They told me they enjoyed boondocking in Utah because they could use the outdoor shower without anyone watching. So one solution is to camp where no one else is camping. :) Seriously, I think your research will pay off. I started to research the subject last year and found these:

https://www.rei.com/product/101407/kelty-blockhouse-privacy-shelter

https://www.rei.com/product/882468/nemo-helio-pressure-shower

These aren't really enclosures for the existing outdoor shower included with the Elite II, but you may want to consider setting up a completely separate shower facility.

I've camped a lot since I picked up my Elite II in March, 2016 and I haven't used the indoor shower very often. I like to camp in National Park campgrounds and many have indoor showers. State Park campgrounds often do as well. Although I rarely camp in RV parks, when I do, I pay attention to the descriptions of the bath houses in the reviews. When I'm boondocking, I sometimes use the outdoor shower without fear of being observed. I keep my towel handy in case someone arrives in the vicinity!

• Thanks 1

Don

2020 Kimberley Kruiser T3

2019 Ram 2500 Diesel

States I visited with my Ollie (Sold October, 2019)

States Visited Map

We have an Ozark Trail shower tent from Wal Mart. Unlike most shower tents it has a separate 'changing room' which is nice to have.

I suppose that if you opt for the street side awning that you might find something in Fiamma's catalog that would work.

• Thanks 1

Before we got Mouse we tent camped and used a sun shower hung from a tree, and ocassionally one of those nylon enclosures. I prefer au natural in the open, but if there are people around you can always wear a small swinsuit and get just as clean. The enclosures work OK but then you have to deal with cleaning them, drying them out and storing them away. Frankly it is a pain in the butt. I don't think they are worth the effort unless the person bathing is really shy. Then you can make them clean it.

If it is warm and clear, and minimal wind, these work very well after a few hours of cooking under the sun. .... https://www.amazon.com/Stearns-Sun-Shower-Portable/dp/B000NVC1JY

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

I'm basically with John on this one - there are many reasons to use an outdoor shower (particularly in the West where grey water is allowed to be "dispursed" on open ground in many places).  If left in the back of my truck while I'm fishing all day (or on a picnic table that is exposed to the sun most of the day) the water in it is simply too hot to take a shower immediately after returning to camp (great excuse to sit down, reflect on the day and have a beer or glass of wine).  I generally use a shower tent but have shied away from getting the more expensive ones for the reason John cites - when it gets too dirty after a few years I simply pitch and replace it.  By using the outdoor shower one has more room to shower, you don't fill your grey water tank, you don't use any of your propane (assuming that you use a solar shower) and (assuming that you refill your solar shower either from the campground pump/water supply or from a crystal clear creek) you don't use your on-board water supply.

With the addition of a simple portable toilet, a shower tent can also be used for "other things".  For extended boondocking trips I use a simple toilet that uses what amount to plastic bags with a bit of "material" in the bottom which absorbs fluid and reduces odors.  According to the directions, these bags can be disposed of with the regular trash.  They are available both on line and at WalMart.  Again, using these saves space in the black tank.

I store the shower tent and solar shower(s) in the area beneath the street side bed where they fit perfectly - my shower tent is the single room variety.

Bill

3da6fw80vneo6efacq34kaakvqk54osx.thumb.jpg.b6d8ae2601a161eec8cdc472f1b18e1a.jpg

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Big man needm big shower :)

So get an oversized tent, that way you can shower with him in comfort sometimes. We use a large 6 x 6' tent and it's large enough that a plastic chair can fit in also. The other thing that you will need if you're going to use the onboard outside shower is a longer hose. We've been showering in the woods for a long time and a tent is nice for the ladies. Sun-showers are nice when it's hot out but not so much in the fall. Karen and I have showered together outside many times over the years. The onboard Truma AquaGo Water heater option will give you all the hot water needed. Also, a raised floor keeps your feet clean if you have room for a large shower mat.

https://www.amazon.com/KingCamp-Oversize-Portable-Dressing-Changing/dp/B01MS7477H/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1498051764&sr=8-8&keywords=Shower+tent+large

• Thanks 1

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

The enclosures work OK but then you have to deal with cleaning them, drying them out and storing them away. Frankly it is a pain in the butt.

Excellent point!

Chris & Duke Chadwell
🐾Maddie & Baxter🐾
Elite II Hull 292
2022 F-250 Lariat 7.3 Godzilla 4x4 Lakeland,FL

• Moderators

I wouldn't get too hung up on the cleaning and drying thing.  I usually use a 5 gallon solar shower with my enclosure.  Even taking a fairly long shower I always have at least a gallon of water left when I'm done and I use most of this to spray down the walls and floor of the enclosure when I'm done.  This tends to keep most of the soap and anything that I tracked in to a minimum.  As far as drying - given the usual low humidity out West, the nylon tent fabric dries rapidly.  In the event that it rains or that it doesn't dry I simply wad it up into a garbage bag and throw it into the bottom of the Oliver shower until I get to the next camp.  If I'm not setting it up again I simply lay it over the picnic table (or similar) until it is dry.  Yes, au natural is a great option - when possible.

Bill

• Thanks 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

I was watching a blog where there was a pressuized outdoor solar shower, this guy puts the tank up on his roof rack and pressurizes  it pneumatically or with a cycle pump.  I'd never heard of that, but it makes perfect sense.  And since he's getting a lot of pressure, i presume he must require less water...nice.

https://www.amazon.com/Nemo-Equipment-Helio-Pressure-Shower/dp/B00ARHKLWS

http://www.roadshower.com/

Kind of cool concept.

• Thanks 1

2016 Oliver Legacy Elite II;  #129

Ordered in 2015, picked up in 2016.  My friend Don Thompson picked his up right in front of me, very cool dude.

2016 Nissan Titan XD, Diesel

These also work really well and are very portable.

<iframe class="wp-embedded-content" style="position: absolute; clip: rect(1px, 1px, 1px, 1px);" title="“Buy Now” — RinseKit" src="http://www.rinsekit.com/buy-now/embed/#?secret=xVOjKGjAfK" width="600" height="338" frameborder="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="no" sandbox="allow-scripts" data-secret="xVOjKGjAfK"></iframe>

That is interesting, but it only holds 2 gallons and is far far bulkier than a soft sided sun shower, which rolls up very small. Two gallons is not really adequate for a shower, especially for a lady with a lot of hair to rinse out.

I can see where this unit would be useful if there were nowhere to hang a sun shower, like on the beach...

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

We've used a Zodi Extreme for the past few years and we only fill it to 2 gallons - its plenty. More than that takes too long to heat up anyway. Solar showers are great so long as it's sunny, but the clouds tend to follow us along which is why we went with the zodi.

• Moderators

For those cloudy/rainy days when the sun will not do its thing on my solar shower, I simply heat a bit of water on the stove, pour it into the solar shower and have at it.  This is particularly true when I'm in full water saving mode and really don't want to use the shower in Twist.

Bill