Custom linens for the "Twin Size Beds" that are not really Twin beds.

My wife spent a ton on nice Twin sized linens before we picked up the trailer. Then we found that they are way too big because the beds are 30 inches x 75 inches, not 39 x 75 which is a Twin. They are really Bunk mattresses. NOT THIS:

elite2-twin-horizontal-sleeping.jpg

I really wish that ALL the advertising was not wrong, it means I need to get better fitting ones. I started to cut the existing ones down but there are ten pieces, and that is a whole lot of screwing around, and the results will not be pretty. I have decided to narrow the covers and blankets lengthwise, and replace the other six pieces.

Here in the forums I saw mention of this place: ...  http://www.ablifestyles.net/camper-rv-bedding/camper-rv-sheets/road-ready-rv-sheet-set/

Since we have ten inch tall mattresses, their off-the-shelf sheets (7 inch) will most likely be too small. They do offer custom sizing if you send them the dimensions. They also make Airstream specific linens with curves, so I am probably going to have them make me pads, bottom and top sheets that will fit the odd Oliver shape so there is not a lot of extra material bunched under and beside the mattresses.

http://www.ablifestyles.net/special-order-camper-rv/

Here's some questions. Has anyone ordered custom linens from here, or another vendor, and were you happy with them? Do any of them have Oliver mattress dimensions on file, so that I would not need to measure the curve radius? Does anyone have that figure?

I am not very happy about having to do this.

Thanks for any help. And please ask Oliver Sales to change their literature so this does not happen to lotss more buyers.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

You might also try Custom Linens Direct. No idea how they compare to the company you found but it's always good to have multiple choices. Though they do have the 30 x 75 with a deep pocket as one of their standards, albeit without the curve.  I think we're just going to start off with sleeping bags until we figure out what we want to do.

Oh wow...so sorry this has happened to y'all!  Only because I have a twin bed in one of my bedrooms, I realized by looking at the dimensions that the   "twin" size beds weren't the standard  sized twin beds for homes.  Having slept for many decades on a queen size bed set, I doubt that I would adjust easily to a "mini twin" size.  I saw a post a while back where someone wanted to use either a queen or full size mattress in the Elite II King configuration.  This would be perfect for me and my pup!  In fact, a full size would be perfect still leaving seating space on either side.  But, not sure table size and holes in the flooring could be altered to fit a custom mattress and extra cushions for the seating be made.

I would think AB Lifestyles could make custom sheets for you.  And the material they describe should a great quality, albeit pricey.  Perhaps the Oliver folks could send the specs to AB for you.  I do hope your sheet woes are solved soon.

I had no idea the Twin Bed Layout didn't actually involve twin beds!   You are absolutely right, the literature and sales people should help customers understand this. I just assumed I'd buy a set of twin sheets before I went to pick up my rig.  Thanks for the info and the link. I'm assuming most stores don't carry bunk size sheets so online ordering is probably the best way to go.

• Moderators

We use standard twin sheets.  The bottom fitted sheet is a little too big and we use those elastic straps that connect to the sheets under the mattress which provides a nice tight fit.  For the top sheet, it's no big deal - just a little more to tuck in.  We have standard twin blankets that also tuck in nicely.  For the top quilt, Carol did cut off some material and hemmed the edge.

We also have a queen bed at home and find the narrow twin beds fine while on the road and camping.  We got the 6" optional mattress and have a 2" foam topper on that.  We've had some of our best sleep on our Oliver twins.  Mike

orchhdm8nwxy2gys8yg3o9qtbpjcvbb9.jpg.777b235417fbba47c8469f76d3d00306.jpg

• Thanks 5
  • Like 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Hi John,

I understand your frustration. I have just finished making fitted matress pads for our twin beds. I found some 33x75x15" microfiber sheet sets on Overstock but the fitted sheet fits poorly. We prefer cotton sheets so I will probably make our fitted sheets out of flat sheets.

The manufacturer that made our custom matrresses suggested using waterproof encasements in a boat or travel trailer application so I found 28x75x10" sized encasements on Amazon. They are soft & don't feel "plasticy", plus they fit our 9.5" deep mattresses perfectly. I am re-purposing a King-sized blanket (cut in half) that we are using in our current stick built. I will be using twin quilts on top - waiting to see if they will have to be modified or not.

Note: I ordered the 28" wide encasement by mistake but it fit perfectly. The mattress template Heather sent us is slightly under 29 1/2" wide.

Kathy

Clair & Kathy Reed - plus our travel companion: Emma

2017 Legacy Elite II - Hull# 245

2014 Ram 1500 3.0 V6 Eco-diesel 4x4

ALFLGAILINIAKYMIMONCOHPATNVAWVWIsm.jpg

• 1 month later...

I found high-quality sheets and mattress pad on Amazon that are for designated as Cot mattresses size (30" x 75") same as Ollie "Twin" beds less the radius angles on the corners.  We'll see how they work out.  Much cheaper than custom Sheets and Mattress Pad.

Mattress Pad $33 each:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JK0YEDU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sheets 600 Thread Count Egyptian Cotton $57 each: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072L4N5Y7/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We'll see how they work out.  Nice little tip to look for Bedding for Cot Mattress dimensions and more accurate than RV Bunk bed dimensions (who knew)!!!

• Thanks 3
  • Like 2

John,

The original owner of our Ollie had AB Lifestyles to build and ship mattresses to Oliver during manufacture of their Ollie.

We wanted thicker mattresses when we purchased the Ollie from the original owners, so we ordered 11" memory foam mattresses from AB Lifestyles.  They have a pattern for the Elite II mattresses.  We did not buy custom made sheets from AB Lifestyles.

If you want to order custom sheet sets from AB Lifestyles and they cannot find the mattress pattern, please send a PM, I have the order # and date for our order. We are very pleased with these mattresses!

Bill #75 LE2

My rationale is that if you buy a standard Mattress cover (oversized for bed), 2 Twin Flat Sheets (oversized), an oversized Blanket, and potentially a standard comforter --- then you attempt to tuck all that excess fabric from those individual bedding pieces under the mattress.  You could get raised edges all the way around that may start looking & feeling like a like a nest vs. a flat surface.  This will be especially noticeable when you use it as a sofa or for seating when it is all made-up.

• Moderators
We use standard twin sheets. The bottom fitted sheet is a little too big and we use those elastic straps that connect to the sheets under the mattress which provides a nice tight fit. For the top sheet, it’s no big deal – just a little more to tuck in. We have standard twin blankets that also tuck in nicely. For the top quilt, Carol did cut off some material and hemmed the edge. We also have a queen bed at home and find the narrow twin beds fine while on the road and camping. We got the 6″ optional mattress and have a 2″ foam topper on that. We’ve had some of our best sleep on our Oliver twins. Mike orchhdm8nwxy2gys8yg3o9qtbpjcvbb9.jpg.6b9f1f525780529902a65d50def49ebd.jpg

I don't usually quote myself but with the twin mattress pad, sheets and blanket plus a comforter there are no raised edges, bulges or anything that is not normal looking. It works fine and looks fine. Mike

• Thanks 3
  • Like 1

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• 1 year later...
  • Moderator+
These will work much better because the sheets are really only too wide and these will pull it taut.  We’ve use them quite nicely for years without resorting to expensive custom made sheets.
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderators
Hey there Mike and Carol, I was wondering about the elastic straps that y’all use underneath the bed. Do they happen to be similar to these? Thank you !

We use the ones that Steve linked to above. They work well and keep everything tight and in place. Mike

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

If you are handy with a sewing machine, I suggest purchasing flat twin sheets and making them fitted.  I did this for our twin bed RV and you can custom design them for your size of mattress.  I didn't do anything special for the one rounded corner and they fit fine.  If you want to reduce bulk,  you can custom size the top sheet as well.

Our Leisure Travel Van Twin bed mattresses are 34x76.  I purchased bunk size mattress protectors that fit perfectly, but would need to be modified for the Oliver twins (edit: I see, now AB Lifestyles sells these specifically for Oliver twin beds).

For bedding I got these cotton bedspreads from IKEA (after seeing one in a motel) that serve as both a light blanket and a bedspread.  These are very similar to the ribcord spreads we had in our houseboat when I was growing up.  They don't come in pretty colors, but I suppose you could get the white and dye to suit you.  I chose the grey since we have colorful throw pillows.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/vareld-bedspread-dark-gray-00346445/

For added warmth, down throws (Garnet Hill Essential Down) which are 52"x80". 

https://www.garnethill.com/garnet-hill-essential-down-blanket-and-throw/bedding-home/blankets-throws/18286?listIndex=7&uniqueId=18286

If you prefer, they also come in down alternative (synthetic) for a bit less $$$

https://www.garnethill.com/garnet-hill-essential-core-loft-26-23174-3b-blanket-and-throw/bedding-home/blankets-throws/310236?listIndex=5&uniqueId=310236

These both come in an assortment of colors.

I found flat sheets sold individually at Target.com.  Though not luxuary Eqyptian high thread count, they are nice quality.  I got white for the bottom sheets and the red/orange (salmon color) and Ancient Aqua, which match our decor, for the top and pillowcases.  I did not alter the top sheets but would if getting them for the Oliver twins.  I purchased these sheets 4 years ago, so was surprised to see they still carry them.

https://www.target.com/p/300-thread-count-ultra-soft-flat-sheet-threshold-153/-/A-13973173?preselect=14196333#lnk=sametab

For a bit more, they come in 400-thread ct. but not in a wide of an assortment of colors.

For DIY fitted sheet instructions, "Google is your friend".  There are many patterns/instructions/and Youtube videos so you should find one that fits your skill set.

This is a more economical solution to custom sheets.   Two fitted sheets, two flat, and two pillowcases are $35 + shipping and with elastic and thread, about $20 for each bed. They do take some time to measure and construct, but it will leave money in your pocket to buy other essentials.

The AB Lifestyles mattress pads are very nice.  When I purchased these, they did not come with rounded corners so I got the 34x75" bunk and they fit fine - $80/pair.  I see they now sell these specifically for the Oliver Twin - $120/pair.  From my experience, I would be inclined to get the 30x75" Bunk - for $80/pair.  By the time you put on the fitted sheet, the unrounded corner is hardly noticeable, but I don't know the shape of the curve on the Oliver mattress corner is.

Hope this helps.

Update: I posted the incorrect IKEA blanket.  It should be this one:

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/indira-bedspread-gray-00389072/

Edited by Susan Huff
Additional info
  • Thanks 1

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

I bought the sheets, mattress covers and blankets from AB Lifestyle.  They have the measurements and all I had to tell them was that I was getting the twin mattresses.   I understand they have mattress covers that now encase the entire mattress.  They are lovely people to work with.

• Like 2

• Moderators

The v berth in our sailboat is the only bed I have ever felt necessary to customize,  because of its very weird shape .

I buy really nice sheets, mostly a little too big, for the boat, and the Oliver, and tuck the extra under. 

When I brought a foam mattress pad to replace our 8 year old fiberfill pad, I  used a set of sharp and strong dressmaker's shears to trim it to the contours. Kept the same sheets we've used for years. 

Sherry

Edited by SeaDawg
Typos

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2019 at 2:05 PM, ScubaRx said:

These will work much better because the sheets are really only too wide and these will pull it taut.  We’ve use them quite nicely for years without resorting to expensive custom made sheets.

I plan to make custom fitted bottom sheets, but my husband likes the bottom sheet to be tight.  Does the metal clip mar the fiberglass, or damage the Hypervent pad (if used)?  Can you feel the buckle through the mattress while sleeping? - I'm the "Princess and the Pea"!

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Susan Huff said:

I plan to make custom fitted bottom sheets, but my husband likes the bottom sheet to be tight.  Does the metal clip mar the fiberglass, or damage the Hypervent pad (if used)?  Can you feel the buckle through the mattress while sleeping? - I'm the "Princess and the Pea"!

A couple of years ago we bought fitted sheets from ABLifestyles and so we don’t use the elastic bands under the mattress anymore.  When we used them, we did not feel the buckles nor did they mar the fiberglass.  The ABLifestyles bottom fitted sheet is very tight.

• Thanks 1

ABLifestyles has really nice well made products and has taken great care of us!

And made in South Carolina USA 🇺🇸
-Patriot

• Like 2

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

We liked the fitted sheets from AB Lifestyles but thought that they were pretty skimpy on material for their top sheets, which weren't wide enough to stay in place - I called them bed ribbons because they were so skinny.  So I'd recommend their fitted sheets, but get a standard twin flat sheet, which you can just tuck in a bit more on the back side.  

Edited by Overland
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

We decided to stop using the flat/top sheet because it became too much of a hassle.   We just use a duvet cover over a down comforter.  Much more comfortable and it is MUCH easier to make the bed.  No hassle!

We think the AB Lifestyles fitted sheets fit great and stays in place without any additional gadgets.

Andrew

• Like 1

Andrew

2019 Legacy Elite II  2018 BMW x5 35d 

• 2 months later...
On 6/21/2017 at 11:17 AM, John E Davies said:

Here's some questions. Has anyone ordered custom linens from here, or another vendor, and were you happy with them? Do any of them have Oliver mattress dimensions on file, so that I would not need to measure the curve radius? Does anyone have that figure?

Edited by Pookies
John I ordered from AB lifestyles for an Airstream and the products are well made custom fitted.

• 4 months later...

We are preparing to pick up our LE II on April 9th. Have any of you used a daybed bedspread/coverlet for their twin mattresses?  The measurements are almost the same.  I've searched the forum and haven't seen anyone comment on this.  I'm planning on buying the sheets from AB Lifestyles.  Looking forward to your feedback!

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Bertrands said:

We are preparing to pick up our LE II on April 9th. Have any of you used a daybed bedspread/coverlet for their twin mattresses?  The measurements are almost the same.  I've searched the forum and haven't seen anyone comment on this.  I'm planning on buying the sheets from AB Lifestyles.  Looking forward to your feedback!

Our sheets and mattress pads are from AB Lifestyles, very satisfied.  For bedspread and blankets we just use twin size.

• Like 1