Custom switch placard, matching the OEM Oliver ones?

Does anyone know where I can get either a vinyl applique or a laser printed aluminum  switch placard like this?

IMG_1868.thumb.jpg.57e304be2272c543e6bab76a2a334ec4.jpg

Have added a Garmin backup camera and would like the switch to match the others in appearance. Jason in Service told me that they get all theirs from: .... http://www.seton.com ... but I emailed them and got a frustrating canned response telling me to buzz off.

So now I need to figure out a local source or another online place. Any suggestions?

I can make an aluminum plate, drill it and paint it black, I just need the label and the perimeter line. So it looks pretty and professional.

Thanks.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Just buy the Back up Camera placard from Oliver. I bought my own camera as well but Oliver put in the button and placard, so they have them already for theirs.

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

• 1 year later...

I am looking to install Garmin Backup camera and trying to decide how and where to put. My question is do you need a power switch if you splice into the power line for the tag light since the camera would only be powered up when Ollie is plugged into TV. Then I could just attach the camera to the tag plate and if the signal is adequate... done. Thanks in advance for any input. Mike

- Mike

Nashville, TN

2018 Elite II - Spirit of Adventure Hull #308  - Toyota Tundra 

• Moderators

I could be wrong (hasn't happened before but ya never know), but, the tag light only will come on when your TV lights are on. I'd probably split off the basement light with a switch right at the basement door so that you could turn the camera on/off when you want or need it. The switch in the photo above was placed by Oliver during my original build and my camera is mounted in the spare tire cover.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

I tied into power up front just behind the bathroom door, left side, for two reasons. I wanted to mount the booster there, which I believe is needed. And the switch worked really well there next to the cellular booster switch. I just spliced into the cabinet lighting power circuit. It has been working satisfactorily for going into season three.

http://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/how-to-install-a-garmin-bc-30-backup-camera/

I leave it powered up all the time when hitched up so I can use it when in heavy traffic. Connecting to the backup circuit is not good enough. The video resolution and frame rate is not so good, but plenty adequate.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Thanks John, It is a very nice install. I am not near as handy with electrical and I was thinking about upgrading as tech changes and did want to keep it as simple and with as few holes as possible. Thought I would tap in to power and temporarily install in the rear and see how well the transmitter is picked up by the Garmin device. I love the idea of your install but again just nervous about the permanence of the install... and ease of installation. I definitely want the constant current vs. hooking up to reverse lighting. Still not sure about the switch power. But really like the idea of keeping everything in the rear if the transmission is seamless. Also, the clip it comes with would attach to tag place with ease. Simple it must be or I must get more confidence and a better plan. Garmin device is backordered until the end of this month so I have some time to think it over. Maybe I will just order the placard, switch and wiring from OTT and do the install like yours but I will have to really think about it. Best, Mike

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/685257

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/602887

- Mike

Nashville, TN

You could mount the camera on the rear license plate, and pick up power and ground from the plate light. Turn on the parking lights every single time you tow, like I do. Easy peasy. However, I am pretty sure the signal will be not be strong enough without the booster up front. The radio waves would have to pass through the spare wheel, propane bottles and truck tailgate. A low position will have the image obscured much more, especially if you have a rack or drive in rain. A high position for the transmitter gives the signal a direct line of sight through less dense materials and into the truck cabin.

Why don’t you try a temporary installation on the plate and report back. Maybe it will work OK.... but I suspect not.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Moderators

I would suggest putting a temporary cigarette lighter plug on the transmitter power wires and use that for testing.  Maybe try the camera in the back window or run the cable from the camera to the transmitter through the window.  I am not familiar with the camera, but based on JD's install it seems to have an extension cable that can be used to mount the transmitter further away from the camera and closer to the display/receiver in the tow vehicle.  I would also suggest putting the switch and transmitter in the area of the main lighting switch panel just inside the door if the transmitter did not work in the attic area.  Oliver mounts their camera switch there and the wiring is already there.  It's also easier to route the extension cable on the curb side, as you don’t have the pantry to deal with.

Keep us posted.

• Thanks 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

Look at the Garmin BC 40 Backup Camera, from what I have seen and read this is a good camera and mounts on the license plate frame as well as other places. Due note that if you are using a bike rack or some other rack this location on the license plate could obstruct your view. I just purchased a new Garmin with a 7" screen with backup camera option, personally I don't like the in dash unit from the factory as it can't be adjusted wile driving and I need something to keep the wife busy.

trainman

• Thanks 1

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

The BC 40 has a max range of only 26 ft. There is no way the signal will reliably reach the dash of your TV. Plus it can’t be hard wired, needs expensive lithium batteries every three months and is only compatible with a few of the very newest nav units. I wish there was a higher res camera that would work with my RV660.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/591686#specs

John Davies

Spokane WA

I agree on terrible resolution. I think I heard someone say that the resolution is limited due to the RCA cable. It would be really nice if there was something with a better picture. I have used the Arlo camera with a suction cup on the back and the picture is great but the lag at times is annoying.

- Mike

Nashville, TN