A little more counter space

Foy_Mirna

With "Roamy" home and in his storage place, I thought back to our first week of camping as we headed back to Florida from Hohenwald. We had wonderful times gazing out the windows at nature with morning coffee, dinners under the awning with fireflies and really peaceful nights of sleep. Being newly retired, I am still learning to slow down and relax so, this morning I decide to head out to the shop and build our first upgrade. So much for relaxing!

Space being a premium, I want to give us some extra kitchen counter room by making a cutting board that would fit over the sink. In fitting out our Oliver we selected a flooring which emulates the deck of a sailboat. I wanted the cutting board to match that look. So with some quick measurements 2 5/16" for the darker strips and 1/4" for the lighter strips, I turned to the sink to get the overall dimensions inside of the raised aluminum band around the sink - 15" by 17".

Looking over my wood supplies, I knew rock maple would be a great match for the narrow strips but the darker wood would be a challenge. I decide on American cherry knowing it would darken with age.

Couple hours of milling, cutting, gluing, sanding and a few coats of mineral oil, my first upgrade was ready to use.

Pictures below.

Compared-to-the-flooring.thumb.jpg.1638ac5649da1b1deaaf2ca48e2cb791.jpg

Ready-to-use.thumb.jpg.dd061eba41000ccdbf214a684958d2fc.jpg

Stored.thumb.jpg.80bc7fac8c8738029a795254cbf6f57e.jpg

• Thanks 13

Onward,
Foy and Mirna 

Roamy Mc Roadhouse
2017 Legacy Elite II, Twin Bed
Hull #227
2021 RAM 1500 Limited

• Moderators

Foy & Mirna - Be careful, this is a slippery slope.  But, what a beautiful and satisfying ride.  Now you have the time to dream something up AND make it happen.  You can complete projects and do them the correct way because "work" no longer gets in the way.  You can spend time thinking of things like this and then literally make it happen.  Nice job!

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Hey AllWhoWander,

I've got a full woodworking shop and lot of wood.  You get your Oliver and I got your cutting board.  My pleasure!

Onward,
Foy and Mirna 

Roamy Mc Roadhouse
Hull #227
2021 RAM 1500 Limited

That's beautiful. It's very impressive.

Will it stay in place in the sink recess during towing? Where do you plan to store it?

That is half the challenge when you are building stuff for a small RV...

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Hey Bill,

Your on point is on mark and we appreciate the thoughts.  While I have been lucky in life, I now do what I want, and to my level of whereever I set the mark.  Its why I own an Oliver :)

• Thanks 1

Onward,
Foy and Mirna 

Roamy Mc Roadhouse
Hull #227
2021 RAM 1500 Limited

Hello John,

Thank you! While I built it to fit into the sink's raised band, I don't think it would stay put.  I thought about small rubber cleats on the underside but that defeats the two sided from being use.  Something to think on tonight, worst case is a plastic bag under the mattress ;)

Onward,
Foy and Mirna 

Roamy Mc Roadhouse
Hull #227
2021 RAM 1500 Limited

Not to change the subject, from your nicely done cutting board, you make me miss the old sandingmaster 3000, but are your window cover frames pure white and not really OFF white?

What about a nice teak shower floor?

• Thanks 1

Randy

One Life Live It Enjoyably

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

2015 Oliver Elite II Hull #69

Hello John, Thank you! While I built it to fit into the sink’s raised band, I don’t think it would stay put. I thought about small rubber cleats on the underside but that defeats the two sided from being use. Something to think on tonight, worst case is a plastic bag under the mattress ????

Our old one came with a second level that was cut to fit the sink, which doubled the thickness but it stayed in place. So we left the top nice for show and turned it over to use the bottom as our main cutting board.

Like this, just a standard RV sink cover/ cutting board.

julien_kitchen_ju-210047-s3-1.jpg.981d4a9ab90c37e735387f63b1a4c04c.jpg

julien_kitchen_ju-210047-s3.jpg.8cd171f7148b322d6415c4699e991b64.jpg

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

Hey Randy,

Yes they are white and now the standard.  I told Cobra on the other post too.  Shower floor is next, but I want to made it something special vs. the cross hatch I have see done before.  Thinking something more organic looking.

Onward,
Foy and Mirna 

Roamy Mc Roadhouse
Hull #227
2021 RAM 1500 Limited

Shower floor is next, but I want to made it something special vs. the cross hatch I have see done before. Thinking something more organic looking.

Depending on how tall you are, adding anything to the shower floor may make it to where you can't stand straight up. Definitely test it first. I have to tilt my head sideways after brushing my teeth and rinsing with nothing on the floor. Karen bought the teak wood shower floor and we gave it away because I couldn't stand up in there anymore. Then she went to rugs, which we pull out when showering.

• Thanks 1

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

You do beautiful work! I love the sink cover/cutting board! I don't know why Oliver doesn't make a cover for the sink.  All the campers we have owned have come with them, not a nice wood one like yours of course but something. It really is a necessity in a small camper like ours. Good work ????

• Thanks 1

Yvonne & Doug

2017 Legacy Elite II, twin bed

Hull #223

2017 Ford F-250 Lariat, crew cab

My pleasure Supersize Life!

As with any prototype there are improvements to be made. While the cutting board sits securely as a work surface, it needs to be stowed for travel.  To improve this design, I plan to make another one that would be thicker and routed on the bottom to project down into the sink bowl.  This should keep it from moving during travel.  Same size, same look, just a better design.  Happy to supply your friend with dimensions.

• Thanks 2

Onward,
Foy and Mirna 

Roamy Mc Roadhouse
Hull #227
2021 RAM 1500 Limited