Zamp Solar Controller

I am totally ignorant about solar electronics. Our solar controller has a read out which is not a combination of "lights" listed in the little booklet that came with the controller. We have a serice appointment Friday to get the "easy start" installed and really need to make sure everthing is good with our solar while we are there. Jason is aware of the problem but has not heard from Zamp yet. We head out on a 3 month trip immediately after this service visit so really don't have much time if there is a major issue. Is this a big problem? Do we need to change our trip plans? Any help or insight about the zamp will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

IMG_3843.thumb.jpg.a3e46cacd85b4d341172d80bc7f4e77a.jpg

Yvonne & Doug

2017 Legacy Elite II, twin bed

Hull #223

2017 Ford F-250 Lariat, crew cab

Hi Doug and Yvonne,

Your display looks good to me even though it doesn't match the chart in the manual.  I'm willing to bet the chart is wrong.

First the digital display:  It looks as if you're set up for AGM batteries, your voltage is 13.7 volts and it's showing 100% charge.

The left hand 3 LED's from left to right show's On - Off - On.  That translates to a fully charged battery on float charge.

I'm guessing the right hand 3 LED's are causing the confusion.  The left hand LED  show On - Off - Off  which indicates over 12.5 volts.  The chart in the manual for float shows all three LEDs off.  I'm guessing that isn't accurate.  Hopefully Jason can confirm that with ZAMP.  I think the display is correct and the chart in the manual is wrong.

Worse case, I'm sure Jason has another controller available so I'd plan on continuing on the trip.

I'm appreciate feedback after your visit.  (Beverly and I will be at the plant on the 6th to pick up our new trailer.)

Brad

• Thanks 2

The only insight that I have is that it looks like you're plugged in to shore power... If you want to test it and it is plugged in to shore power, then unplug it and let it sit for a day or 2 and then take a pic...

If you're planning on boondocking a lot, then take a generator and don't worry about the solar at all. No solar is not a reason to put off a trip :)

• Thanks 1

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

Yvonne & Doug,

I agree with Brad's assessment.  Our's is showing the same light pattern, we are totally disconnected now, at the end of the McCarthy Rd in Wrangell-St Elias National Park.  Have been on shore power for the three previous days,and left this morning fully charged.  For a short period, after we set up this afternoon, it showed a blue light on the left, indicating a charging status.  When it fully recovered, it moved to the mode you are showing.   We have been on the road in Canada, and Alaska, for the past two months, and this is the normal pattern.  After a few days in the shade (clouds/rain) it may charge, and never show the green on the left side, but once we have a sunny day, or use shore power, the pattern you are seeing begins.  The green on the right hand side just shows that the battery condition is fully charged.

Dennis

• Thanks 1

States Visited Map

Map of Provinces I Visited

2016 Legacy Elite II  #153

2020 Ford F250 Platinum Tremor 7.3

Thanks for the responses everyone . My internet has been down for the past several days due to a bear scratching on the utility pole! Anyway, it is fixed now.  Dennis, it is reassuring that that you have seen the same pattern while boondocking and the solar is working well.  Maybe it is a misprint in the manual as Brad suggested.  Reed & Karen, we are not plugged in. Our camper has been sitting unplugged since we returned from our maiden voyage in early May. We did buy a Honda 2000 this week and had it jetted for high altitude since 99% of our camping will be above 8500 feet.  The easy start is to be installed tomorrow. We are headed to the Rockies once we leave the factory. I hope we don't have to fire up the generator too often.  Wish us luck ????.

• Thanks 1

Yvonne & Doug

2017 Legacy Elite II, twin bed

Hull #223

2017 Ford F-250 Lariat, crew cab

Good Luck you two :) Have a safe and enjoyable trip!

• Thanks 1

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II