Land Cruiser 200 Towing thread

John E Davies

I will put any tow vehicle info and pictures here in this new thread as I get my new 2013 Land Cruiser 200 sorted and adjusted.

Today I mounted the Tekonsha P3 from my old Ram onto the dash, below the wiper stalk. It is the best spot that I could find. I popped out the switch panel that has four dummy unused switch plates and mounted my P3 bracket through the top two plates, using 8-32 x 1 inch stainless machine screws with 1/2 inch long nylon spacers and nylock nuts on the back. If I decide to remove the controller, all I have to do is buy two new plates and pop them into place. I used a Tekonsha Toyota wiring adapter and ran the cable out from under the dash to the right of the OBD connector.

IMG_2474.thumb.jpg.3ed1db28c26733491bc86fb3499d167c.jpg

IMG_2470.thumb.jpg.14b8e008d7c12d91e34e4ac3d78e0ab4.jpg

IMG_2481.thumb.jpg.213b3ffbe9ae5a376bd65587313a7eb5.jpg

The unit is blocked by the wheel when steering straight ahead but is easily seen if the wheel is turned a few degrees, and it is super easy to reach the buttons and, most importantly, the Emergency Lever.

IMG_2485.thumb.jpg.ea9468d92b3e1d0034ae547e44f52c21.jpg

I tow tested the Ollie for about 30 minutes and it is definitely in need of an Anderson hitch, which I ordered today. It tows well on smooth roads but the butt end of the truck pogos badly over large undulations and dips. It never felt out of control, but the steering feels light and it definitely does not feel settled and comfortable.

Here is Mouse hooked up the the Cruiser, butt low in my driveway, in front of the RV bay, AKA "The Hanger Deck". Tongue weighs 575 pounds with one gas can full and the other three empty, using my nifty new hydraulic tongue weight scale. The truck settled almost 2.5 inches under the dead weight.

FullSizeRender.thumb.jpg.77c15ae207eb67d86463d29900e103bd.jpg

More to come, my hitch arrives in three days.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 5
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Hi John enjoyed the information on riging your new vehicle but really like your trailer garage I would really like more info and or photos as I will be building in the Kansas City area in the future and would like to do this on the new house I would think that not having a monthly storage bill would offset the construction modification.

Marc and Nancy

Hull 83 Legacy Elite ll

• Thanks 1

Hi John enjoyed the information on riging your new vehicle but really like your trailer garage I would really like more info and or photos as I will be building in the Kansas City area in the future and would like to do this on the new house I would think that not having a monthly storage bill would offset the construction modification. Marc and Nancy Hull 83 Legacy Elite ll

I'll post some inside pics and info in another thread, it will take a long time to pay back the investment in an RV bay. This was fully insulated, sheetrocked and is 16x43x16 tall .... but it cost $30K. But I got the garage insulated and sheet rocked free as part of the package, so that helps. OTH:

Having the Ollie close by and completely out of the weather is priceless....

If you plan to live in the house a long time, not die too early, and continue to own an RV, then go for it! They are becoming extremely popular with older folks who are downsizing as the kids move away.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

We built our new garage to accommodate the Oliver.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 2 weeks later...

John, have enjoyed reading your posts here and on the Airstream Forum.  Have you had time to test the Land Cruiser in various towing situations as yet?  I am hopefully going to purchase either the Elite II or an Airstream and have a real desire to have a Land Cruiser as well.  If not a Land Cruiser, then a F-250 Power Stroke.  I was going to put a shell on the 250 and carry the spare tires, two generators, air compressor,  tools, etc in the back.  Figured that the 250 would have more storage space in back than the Land Cruiser, and would push the load limits of the LC, with fuel, peeps, tongue weight, etc.  The last LC I looked at on the lot had a load limit of around 1300 lbs.  If the configuration works, I will definitely get the LC because of the wonderful attributes of this vehicle.  Glad to see your posts on this subject.  I am also assuming the trailer brake system you added to the LC has worked well.  I do like the factory brake system (on the 250)  because of all of the additional information it gives you, but have pulled trailers with after market brake controllers and they have worked very well.  Side note, thank you for your service to this Country.

John, have enjoyed reading your posts here and on the Airstream Forum. Have you had time to test the Land Cruiser in various towing situations as yet? I am hopefully going to purchase either the Elite II or an Airstream and have a real desire to have a Land Cruiser as well. If not a Land Cruiser, then a F-250 Power Stroke. I was going to put a shell on the 250 and carry the spare tires, two generators, air compressor, tools, etc in the back. Figured that the 250 would have more storage space in back than the Land Cruiser, and would push the load limits of the LC, with fuel, peeps, tongue weight, etc. The last LC I looked at on the lot had a load limit of around 1300 lbs. If the configuration works, I will definitely get the LC because of the wonderful attributes of this vehicle. Glad to see your posts on this subject. I am also assuming the trailer brake system you added to the LC has worked well. I do like the factory brake system (on the 250) because of all of the additional information it gives you, but have pulled trailers with after market brake controllers and they have worked very well. Side note, thank you for your service to this Country.

Thanks for the comments; I think you have me confused with someone else. I never post at Airstream and I never served, though I came _really_ close to being drafted to Viet Nam.

I only have about 45 miles towing with the new Anderson setup. .... http://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/how-to-anderson-weight-distributing-hitch-center-frame-location/

I hope to do some more towing this weekend and I have a couple of local trips coming up soon, and I will post comments and pics here. I think the 200 will do great but it is going to suck gas;( I need to learn to keep my foot out of it. I am used to my Cummins which had 50% more torque, at 1800 rpm. I also suspect that I will add Timbren bump stops to help with the slow speed pogoing when the chains are off, for example, negotiating a steep incline or rough forest road.

Load limits: LOL Land Cruisers are so overbuilt due to their intended use (and abuse) that published load figures are "negotiable". The frame is fully boxed, unlike a Tundra, and 20% stronger. The steel in body and frame is high tensile and the build quality is the best in the world. If you have added heavy bumpers, winch, sliders, skid plates, bigger tires and a drawer system, plus you are towing, then you are definitely going to be way WAY over the load limit, for sure. This just means you need to install LT tires and stiffer suspension. Problem solved. Except for the resulting single digit fuel economy.

I plan to keep my truck stock with the exception of the tires and sliders. The aftermarket has fully embraced the 200 series and you can spend $20K in parts and mods with a few mouse clicks. I have been down that road before with my 1996 LX450 and do not care to do so again....

https://oppositelock.kinja.com/why-the-toyota-land-cruiser-is-so-expensive-1715003811

John Davies

Spokane WA

Thanks, will look forward to future posts.  I do have you mixed up with another "poster" for some of the comments but all referencing the LC are correct. At my age, I forget from post to post but appreciate your responding and best of luck with your TT and TV.

Things are looking good, we went on a short day trip and stopped at one of our favorite local Spokane River access/ picnic area, Long Lake Dam,  24 miles NW of downtown Spokane. I would have loved to stay overnight, but it is a Day Use only spot. The dogs got to swim, and we had a nice lunch and a short lie down.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Long+Lake+Dam,+Tumtum,+WA+99034/@47.8399277,-117.8387515,14z/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x549e0a30cee417f1:0x5c02aea672151f6f?hl=en-us

IMG_2764.thumb.jpg.b8a038d33690233a67bbccb029518e4f.jpg

The Anderson hitch is working out well. The ride is a little stiffer than when not towing, but it is not objectionable, even on rough surfaces. The steering is much lighter than the Ram, and I need to pay closer attention, but it is not at all unsettled or darty. No signs of sway, whatsoever, and any up and down bouncing is dampened after just one oscillation. Cool.

I am getting used to using the gears for steep climbs and descents. This has a high compression engine and axle ratios close to 4:1, but there isn't nearly as much engine braking as I had hoped for. It is not much better than my Cummins 5.9, and diesels are not known for their engine braking. Second gear is fine for steep descents below 50 mph. I had to drop to second for a couple of climbs. This was a "coulee" area with numerous rapid elevation changes.

My wife hated the Ram, it left us both battered and weary in spite of the Corbeau Baja XRS suspension seats. This truck is so VERY much more satisfactory in terms of comfort. The fit and finish and interior refinement is stellar.

I got 9.7 mpg towing at speeds up to 55 mph, mostly 35-45, not so good..... She's no diesel. But we both love her. Land Cruisers are luscious.

IMG_2751.thumb.jpg.8a75d4e63291538e07834bd73d1801bf.jpg

That last pic clearly shows the fuel cans. Only one is normally full, and that is intended for the Yamaha generator, but if needed I can fill both jerry cans, and transfer up to ten gallons of gas to the Thirsty Cruiser using a cool syphon pump I bought for that purpose. Because I can easily raise the tray pretty high with the power jack (coupler disconnected), I can get enough height to maintain a natural syphon clear to the bottom of the cans, either into the Cruiser, or into the generator if it is on the ground.

The plan is to be able to top off the truck at a campground, and then go exploring. The alternative is either a VERY expensive aux tank installation, or an aftermarket rear bumper with fuel can racks. But I would rather use this method, if it works as planned. I hate carrying fuel in or on a truck, and I am hoping to keep it as close to stock as possible. Modding is such a money pit, and you never get a return on your investment.

I do plan to mod the Olliver's tray, though, by adding aircraft tie down rails and adjustable rings, from Mac's Custom  Tie Downs. Hooking my ratchet straps through the wire mesh sides is unsatisfactory, and temporary.

Pics will follow when I get to try it out.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Have you put a tongue scale under the front to determine its weight?

Yes, with three jerry cans (2 6-gal water, 1 5-gal gas) full, 720 lbs, with one gas can full 620. I don't know the weight of the Accessory Tray, perhaps 20 pounds?

John Davies

Spokane WA

• 3 weeks later...

This is not my rig, but it's an LX570 with AHC (Auto Height Control) which seems to work very nicely with a 27 ft Airstream... great info.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/lx570-tow-report.1004175/

John Davies

Spokane WA

This is not my rig, but it's an LX570 with AHC (Auto Height Control) which seems to work very nicely with a lifted 27 ft Airstream... great info.

airstream1-jpg.1515512

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/lx570-tow-report.1004175/

John Davies

Spokane WA

Parked for a few hours beside the Columbia River, Kennewick WA, close to the venue for the hydro races.

FullSizeRender.thumb.jpg.e0bdd07b4101e1a68928519dec5f8ccc.jpg

This was the first serious tow test with the 200. What a capable and comfy tow vehicle this is! We are off to central Idaho in two days. More to come, hopefully some total eclipse time lapse video with Mouse in the frame....

John Davies

Spokane WA

• 8 months later...

Hello John.  How are you getting along with the stock mirrors for towing your Elite II with the Land Cruiser?  Any issues with being able to see around the sides of the camper?  We take delivery of our Oliver in June.  Wondering if I should be budgeting for a set of Clearview mirrors.  Expensive, but the only ones that I see that work well with the 200 series.  I'm tired of the universal clip on mirrors that are never pointed in the right direction or always vibrating.

2013 Toyota Land Cruiser 200

2018 Twin Bed Elite II #351

Hello John. How are you getting along with the stock mirrors for towing your Elite II with the Land Cruiser? Any issues with being able to see around the sides of the camper? We take delivery of our Oliver in June. Wondering if I should be budgeting for a set of Clearview mirrors. Expensive, but the only ones that I see that work well with the 200 series. I’m tired of the universal clip on mirrors that are never pointed in the right direction or always vibrating.

I see no need for extensions. I can see down the sides perfectly well, I canNOT see behind, at all, through the mirrors. In heavy traffic at slow speeds I turn on my Garmin backup camera to let me keep an eye on tailgaters and people pulling out to pass.

I strongly recommend a backup camera, spend your money on that instead of mirror extensions.

I just added rear airbags in order to allow me better control of leveling when fully loaded. I will report back after my next trip. I think they are going to be useful. The downside is that at minimum pressure (5psi) they raise the back up 3/4 inch and they do stiffen the empty ride slightly. Not necessarily a bad thing, considering how soft the factory springs are.

Show me some pics of your 200,how do you like it?

Here is my current setup: 5 psi in the airbags, lightly loaded (no water, nothing in the jerry cans, nothing in the back of the truck), Anderson hitch lowered to level the trailer.

BAF19E6E-3D55-49AC-8211-3341F90E925D.thumb.jpeg.7155c5e563fe28013d358baaf24529a8.jpeg

When I add heavy stuff in back of the 200, I can pump up the bags to carry the extra weight. It may only need 10 psi, I will experiment.

Before adding the bags, the 200 was butt low and the trailer was too....it was a little dorky looking, like this:

98E6B703-E89C-476B-BFED-F0F597FB0295.thumb.jpeg.b0b146a1bca68e57a7105487764eae83.jpeg

Now it is more betta!

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

Airbags:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B003HJ3JOA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

KDSS warnings:

http://www.sleeoffroad.com/technical/pdf_files/200_Series_KDSS.pdf

Install video:

I had a local shop install them, they charged $300, which seemed a little high... I had the two hoses routed to the jack compartment, with 24 inches coiled there so I can pull them out past my generator when fully loaded, for easy access. I use a compact mountain bike high volume hand pump to adjust them. I will take some pics and post them.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 2

I typed up one response and it disappeared into the ether when I tried to edit.  Here is another version.

I see no need for extensions.

Thanks. I'll hold off on the extensions.

I just added rear airbags in order to allow me better control of leveling when fully loaded.

I have airbag experience with my 2016 4Runner.  My father, son, and I installed them in about 3 hours on the 4Runner with a lift and full access to a shop full of tools.  The 4Runner didn't have KDSS, so I expect the Land Cruiser would also take about 3 hours to do, since I've already done the job once and this one has KDSS.

Show me some pics of your 200,how do you like it?

No pictures yet.  It's a 2013 in salsa red with 33" Michelin Defenders and 40k miles.  Nice shape.   I get a lot of complements on it.  What's not to like besides the gas milage and the purchase price?  I was out running dogs with it this spring down some two track field roads and had a friend in the passenger seat.  He commented that his truck would have been stuck long ago in the places we were easily driving.  It was a lot of fun.  Muddy, but fun.  I find new features all the time.

Amazon tells me that item will not fit my 2014LC.

Did you look at the TIMBREM TORLC1 System at all?

I think it will. Go to the Firestone website and it lists the 4164 as the correct kit.

Amazon tells me that item will not fit my 2014LC.

Did you look at the TIMBREM TORLC1 System at all?

I thought about Timbrens but they are expensive and are not adjustble in any way.

Those airbags do fit all the LC 200 model years, read the buyer reviews on that page. There were no issues fitting them to my 2013. Amazon had the best price too.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• 1 month later...

I had a local shop install them, they charged $300, which seemed a little high…

I think you did OK with the $300 charge. I did the job myself yesterday and it was 4 hours from drive up to cleaned up. It's the second set of bags I've installed on a Toyota SUV. I run a high school auto shop and have year round access. It has several lifts and a full set of tools. My 70+ year old father was there to offer a hand as needed. I can't imagine doing the job in the driveway or without air tools.

Leaving Minnesota tomorrow for Hohenwald. Delivery for our Elite II is scheduled for Monday. My traveling friend and I are taking a week to go down and back with a few tourist stops planned on the route. Google says the total drive is around 13 hours each way.

Wish us well!

Ken

• Thanks 2

• Moderators

KenB -

Consider yourself wished well!

Have a safe and FUN trip! Be sure to give Anita a big hug from Bill (me).

The weather in Hohenwald has been in the low 90's with fairly high humidity for the past few weeks. Hopefully it will break long enough for you to take delivery and get out of town.

Exciting time for you - please post some pictures so that the rest of us can share your delivery and re-live the excitement that we experienced.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• 1 month later...