Sign in to follow this  
John E Davies

Land Cruiser 200 Towing thread

This one’s for John

Thanks very much Randy, I had not seen this video. It is pretty thorough. The guy runs his own Land Cruiser shop and he was at the NW Overland Rally last June in Plain WA and gave a very entertaining 1 hour off the cuff talk. He really knows overlanding.

Good guy, great trucks. I would buy a nicely kept four year old 200 with 75,000 miles long before I would buy a brand new Chevy Ford or Ram. It's a way better vehicle.

Oh wait, that is just what I did.

John Davies

Spokane WA

"Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II NARV (Not An RV) Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 33" LT tires, airbags.

This is a crosspost, but it might be interesting for those learning about the 200.... You can use Low Range on pavement if needed, something that very few other vehicles can safely do. It’s a great feature.

http://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/have-you-used-4wd-low-on-public-roads-and-highways/

John Davies

Spokane WA

"Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II NARV (Not An RV) Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

John,

I had a 50k service completed a few weeks ago on my LC and opt'd to replace the air and cabin filters myself.  Today I completed those tasks but noticed what appears to be something missing.  Can you or any Tundra owners tell me what should connect to the open port?  Thanks is advance.

20180808_174257.thumb.jpg.cdd9cb99aaf771b2a7d15f69ac2a6e6e.jpg

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL   LEII #193 “the dog house”

John,

I had a 50k service completed a few weeks ago on my LC and opt’d to replace the air and cabin filters myself. Today I completed those tasks but noticed what appears to be something missing. Can you or any Tundra owners tell me what should connect to the open port? Thanks is advance.

OUCH. That is where a crankcase breather hose should go. Please do not drive it any longer this way. I wonder why it is not leaking oil?  Are you sure it was not removed very recently? Pull the plastic cover off and see what the rest of that system looks like.

B973CE8B-4EA0-40A7-B4AA-6DCE364330CC.thumb.jpeg.4a762a8da9ecf964d155039c10278b26.jpeg

7226F5DB-15A8-40D1-AA49-8BA90712D731.thumb.jpeg.eb6911de45ea92a5e21d63c46db994f3.jpeg

That is more than a little unreal, I wonder what the story is behind it’s being gone? You need to talk to the shop that worked on it last, they should have noted its absence, if not caused it!

RE your cabin air filter: you MUST turn on the ignition and switch to Recirculate. This swings the blend door up and forward so you can reach the filter element. If forced open, the door will break where the actuator shaft enters, making it inoperative. This is fairly common, and not an easy or cheap fix. Mine is busted, and I need to pull the fan box out to see if I can repair it, or if I will have to change the entire $450 housing assembly. I have been moving the door manually from Recir to Normal by reaching in though the filter access opening. There are several threads about it at Ih8mud.com. There are a number of pissed off owners, it is a very stupid design.

Read this.... there is a 20% “reported rate” of door breakage. ...https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/important-check-your-hvac-recirculate-door-and-answer-poll.1021239/

You have to wonder how many 200 busted doors out there are as yet undiscovered. I hope yours is OK.

Good luck,

John Davies

Spokane WA

Thanks for the response and advice.  I’ll follow up with the Toyota service department and see want they have to say.

Thanks for the response and advice. I’ll follow up with the Toyota service department and see want they have to say.

Any updates on your missing hose?

Thanks.

John Davies

Spokane WA

I love The Fast Lane. These guys really know how to make an entertaining and informative video. They just bought a ten year old Land Cruiser 200 with the intention of converting it into a true overland vehicle.... 

These trucks just walk up nasty terrain that is hard or impassible for most rigs, with no stress or trauma. They make the driver feel invincible. From the comments:

Reading Land Cruiser forums be like: "So today I drove from New York to the Congo with stock everything and a snorkel."

Reading Range Rover forums be like: "What's that liquid on my floor board? Where is that smell coming from? Is something on fire?"

Love it!

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the response and advice. I’ll follow up with the Toyota service department and see want they have to say.

Any updates on your missing hose?

Thanks.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Sorry I missed your response.  Not sure how I missed the notification if there was one.  But I noticed your LC 200 thread in recent topics and looked to see your latest posting.  That’s when I noticed I had missed your update request.

Anyway, to answer your question about the hose, it was tucked up under the engine cover.  No one at the dealership could explain why, but the hose is back in place and all is good.

While looking through the posting I saw the Tekonsha P3 installation pictures.  I had tried to find a mounting place for the P3 and never found a suitable location I was happy with.  So I sent it back and bought the Redarc controller and included a picture off the install.  After a year of service I can say I am very please with the product.

Mike

Just re-reading the LC post and realized that a picture of the REDARC brake controller I wanted to include was not attached.  So here goes?.

63D1B1E3-550C-4020-A13A-7438DE526345.thumb.jpeg.29d2677ff14d262bc29d393905378b5f.jpeg

• Thanks 1