Fire!

topgun2

• Moderators

Recently I was told about a fairly simple one time use fire extinguisher - Tundra by First Alert.  I know that there is an extinguisher by the Oliver entrance, but, what if a fire happens in the kitchen and I'm back in the bed?  Amazon had a two pack of these for $22.49 and I ordered them.

https://www.amazon.com/First-Alert-AF400-Extinguisher-Aerosol/dp/B001229JCU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499709044&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=tundra+fire+extinguisher&psc=1

Since they don't come with any kind of mount, I took a piece of  2 inch wide "industrial" Velcro I had in the workshop and figured that it would work nicely in the corner below the nightstand.  Hopefully I'll never have to use it.

Bill

ldo8pgsbwnsizrcxkrbow2l4agdylbrx.thumb.jpg.d95fdb08eb50e41775d78264d807b891.jpg

eyx9z3coed51i2n35rpv8utfguacc6og.thumb.jpg.ef112dda621b5813e1d92457aae1b9af.jpg

• Thanks 7

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

The best first response equipment is the closest, and easiest to use.

We all hope we never have to use it.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

I was at the auto dealer for a recall issue. As I was waiting, I wandered the new truck lot. What I saw was a new equipped power company truck waiting delivery. What I happened to notice was the little sticker that said; "fire extinguisher inside". The 'bells' went off. What if driving and a trailer bearing got real hot, or there was an incident along side the road?  We knew we probably wouldn't want to walk all around the tow vehicle to get into the Oliver, nor take the time to do so. We immediately added a spare extinguisher to the tow vehicle. Now to find a permanent mounting spot...

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...
  • Moderators

Last night I was charging the battery(s) on my laptop in my office when they decided to "do the lithium thing".  If it wasn't for the fact that this was in my house and in my office the fireworks were fairly interesting - individual cells exploding and shooting in all directions with flames coming from their afterburners.  I'm extremely happy to report that the "Tundra fire extinguisher" performed exactly as advertised and total damage is certainly much less than what it could have been.  I'll shortly be ordering a couple more of these but be sure to see the first post in this thread above.

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

42 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

Last night I was charging the battery(s) on my laptop in my office when they decided to "do the lithium thing".  If it wasn't for the fact that this was in my house and in my office the fireworks were fairly interesting - individual cells exploding and shooting in all directions with flames coming from their afterburners.  I'm extremely happy to report that the "Tundra fire extinguisher" performed exactly as advertised and total damage is certainly much less than what it could have been.  I'll shortly be ordering a couple more of these but be sure to see the first post in this thread above.

Bill

We sure are glad you and the Mrs are ok and no injuries Bill. I am going to look into purchase a few of these for our home and vehicles. 

• Thanks 1

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderator+

I'm a little confused about the Amazon price:

1 can for $11.99

2 cans for $34.61

Hmmmmm

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderators

WalMart has them for $12.77 (single) and $34.61 (double).  That shrink wrap that holds the two cans together sure must be some expensive stuff!

Bill

• Haha 2

On 6/25/2020 at 1:23 PM, topgun2 said:

Last night I was charging the battery(s) on my laptop in my office when they decided to "do the lithium thing".

What? I have no idea what that means. Is your laptop toast? Thank goodness you and your home are okay.

BTW, we have those extinguishers. Fortunately, haven't needed to use them.

Chris & Duke Chadwell
🐾Maddie & Baxter🐾
Elite II Hull 292
2022 F-250 Lariat 7.3 Godzilla 4x4 Lakeland,FL

• Moderators

Shallowgal -

In certain situations lithium batteries have been known to ignite other than the fact that they were being charged (with the original charger and charging cord) .  I have no idea as to why these laptop batteries made that decision, but, since they were inside the battery compartment of the laptop and wound up both catching on fire and exploding, they caused massive damage to the laptop (i.e. the laptop is burnt toast 😂).

Bill

Edited by topgun2